BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Environmental Action: Scientific coral reef survey to be conducted in Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Environmental Action: Scientific coral reef survey to be conducted in Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Hopkins (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 1:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My husband found this article.

http://www.physorg.com/news198503839.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #288) on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 7:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

No doubt they will find that the constant seepage of sewage into the sea is destroying the reef. No brainer! and in the last few weeks the Freewinds has been back also dumping its sewage, this time with a permit to do so by Nolly Oleana, the guy in charge of the environment. What a laugh! Too bad these scientific studies don't seem to make one bit of difference to the politicians on this island!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #714) on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 11:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The living Oceans Foundation headed by Capt. Phillip G. Renaud, was staying at the Black Durgon.
The group of about 6 people had great diversity, The EPA was represented, but they did not do any water testing.
I asked the Capt. about this issue and was told he wasn't interested at this time.
I was told that Bonaire's coral population was in much better shape than most Caribbean islands and that "possibly" there was a relationship between Venezuela coral and all the new coral we were seeing.
He also mentioned that he thought the increase in coral disease was due to the elevated water temps.
The marine biologist from Fiji showed me the blue generic dive map and most dive sites were checked off at the end of the survey.
The Ocean's group was friendly and very professional!

(Message edited by billie_bubbles on August 13, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fid Chinoy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #232) on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 10:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I must be missing something. It doesn't seem like they did anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #715) on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 12:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Fid
As mentioned, it's a survey. They did lots of measuring and inspecting- I imagine a report will follow.
I was told that a journalist tried to keep up with them, but he wasn't scuba efficient--which elicited some giggles--so keep an eye out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fid Chinoy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #235) on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 1:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the clarification Bill.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #445) on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 8:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

the report is available ,, it is very bad in terms of sewage, over diving and construction issues ,,check AMiGo in English fOr aN early report..

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration