BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Henk and caves?
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2008-2009: Archives - 01-01-2009 to 03-31-2009: Henk and caves?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #350) on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wasn't sure where to put this question:

Who is the "Henk" (or "Hank"?) who is associated with cave trips? I met someone today (in Florida) who had been on one of those guided trips and raved about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elizabeth Barna (BonaireTalker - Post #83) on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 5:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I went on the cave trip guided by Waldo of Bonaire Dive and Adventure. We went to three caves, with one a cave-snorkle. It was pretty awesome but strenuous for my 50 something body. I pulled a muscle trying to get out of one cave. You had to raise our foot at least chest high to get out. Ouch! The other two caves were pretty easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lori Mulhisen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 5:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

His name is Henk Sanders and he is associated with Bonaire Dive and Adventure (http://www.bonairediveandadventure.com/index-db.html) which is the dive shop located at The Sand Dollar and Den Laman Condos. He took us on a cave exploration in 2006 and he was awesome. I would highly recommend him!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs - aka Jeanine! (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7505) on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 6:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Elizabeth...out of curiosity, in your pre-trip preparation, did anyone make inquiries of your height? I've done lots of exploring all over the place and have always been asked about height and if anything is above waist high, usually they offer to bring appropriate gear. Did this not happen with your excursion? I'm considering doing the caves in May and would have to go with an outfit that has appropriate caving gear. I'm barely 5' so what is chest high on normal people is a pull-up for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lori Mulhisen (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tribs--there was no gear required for the cave exploration with Henk through Bonaire Dive and Adventure (BDA). He took us to two caves. One cave had a ladder that you climbed down and up to enter/exit the cave. The other cave required climbing down via a rope which Henk brought to the cave. Henk also supplied underwater flashlights. We wore swimwear under our clothing and brought masks/snorkels as there was a narrow pool of water inside the cave that we swam/snorkeled through. I am sure if you contact BDA via e-mail prior to your trip, they can explain things better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lori Mulhisen (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will try to post some pictures of our cave exploration in May 2006 with Henk:

Henk Sanders

cave with ladder entrance

cave with rope entrance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lori Mulhisen (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, I guess I figured out how to post pictures! Tribs--also, I am also vertically challenged (5'2") and BDA did not have a height restriction for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs - aka Jeanine! (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7511) on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 10:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the photos and the information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elizabeth Barna (BonaireTalker - Post #84) on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 6:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We went to three caves. Maybe the one cave they don't go to anymore?? I was never in any danger and probably would have done better if I had accepted a little help. Know how it goes, "let me do it" I surely don't remember the rope being there.

The caves are worth seeing especially the cave/ snorkel. I always dive with BDA and the guide was good on the cave trip. Don't let my comments scare you.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration