BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Do I Need A Wetsuit
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2001-09-01 to 2002-05-23: Do I Need A Wetsuit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Smith on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 12:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am completing my owc on Bonaire April 20 through April 27. Will be traveling with a group from the dive center I started instruction with. What is the water temp this time of year and do you recommend any type of wetsuit? My instructor suggested a shortie. Any input is appreciated. Can't wait to get to Bonaire. This has been a 12 year dream of mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 10:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The water temperature is about the same all year round; check the ReefCam page. Your comfort depends on your own metabolism. I dive with a tee shirt and jeans for 90 minutes and don't shiver at the end. Niki Harris and Dara here use full wet suits with hoods and are cold in 30 minutes. Best to bring at least a 1.5/2 mm jump suit for protection from the coral, et al, and thermal comfort too. A thin hood helps--that old 40% heat loss through the skull bit we all learned in ow class.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 3:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rick

If you do shore diving you will need a full wetsuit for protection if you fall over in the surf. We use 3mm to stay warm during multiple dives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Laurie Kennedy on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We completed our open water dives in January in Bonaire. Our dive shop (WannaDive) supplied a wet suit as part of the package which was really nice (I know some of them charge for it). It was a 3mm shortie and it was perfect. One piece of advice: make sure you have strap back fins instead of full foot fins. It is alot more comfortable to walk on the coral beaches with diving boots (actually we used regular aqua shoes)than bare feet. Have fun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 3:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, :-) you outed me with my full name and every chilly detail! Oh Yeah, it's no secret... Actually, I guessed correctly that I might figure in your answer before I clicked on the full text!

You'll be impressed to know that I am in the midst of buying an even thicker wetsuit for this year! I just want to stop shivering!! We tried doing a vigorous swim for a while, but I got more tired than warm. Bob keeps saying 'dry suit,' but I refuse. He also says 'hot water pipes,' but those seem to be only in my dreams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rachel coll on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 7:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will be in Bonaire March 22 (first trip). I'm really concerned about being cold. I wear a 2mm when I dive Cozumel in the summer and I am comfortable to getting a bit chilly after a long dive.

I bought a 7mm suit for my trip to Bonaire this month. I just don't want to be cold. It ruins the dive for me. I keep looking at the water temperature and it's only 77 deg C. That is cold to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Smith on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all the help. I am going to get a 3mm jumpsuit based on your imput and the private responses I received. It seems this is a good versitile suit for lots of reasons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danielle & Lou SLamka on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 6:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Niki,

You would think being from Oregon you would be used to the cold!! Of course, I'm from Washington, and I chill easy too! My husband and I went on a Manta Ray night dive in Hawaii recently and I just about froze to death! Wah! We're leaving for Bonaire on Thursday, and I am definitely taking my full length 3mm suit just in case!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 10:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dani, I never have been diving off the Pacific Northwest coast. Only the Caribbean! Lucky you, Bonaire in two days! Thursday, I'm going to Iowa. Hmm... Who's got the neater trip?

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration