BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Dive shops near Eden Beach (besides Wannadive)
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-08-03 to 2005-12-30: Dive shops near Eden Beach (besides Wannadive)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Natalya Calhoun (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 11:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

Are there any other dive shop near Eden Beach? Do you like them? What are the prices like for completing the Certification when we bring referrals from home?
Thanks.

Natalya

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Natalya Calhoun (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 11:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, I accidentally clicked twice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #426) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 11:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

hi natalya..."near eden beach" is a relative term since nothing on bonaire is far away. i'm not sure about other places but i just checked the carib inn brochure and their referral course is $175.00. carib inn is about a 10 minute drive from eden beach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3523) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 12:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Natalya, everything is relatively close to each other there. Nothing is more than a 10-15 min. ride.

But I do highly recommend Wannadive for what it's worth. I've used them the past two years and they are wonderful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky Hauser (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 12:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I second Kelly... I used Wannadive in October (albeit their city center location) for my AOW certification and they were awesome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn Loo Hoo (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15466) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 1:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have to say that the WannaDive staff is great, and they are extremely friendly and helpful. It is much more convenient to use the dive shop that is on the property you are staying at than to have to drive to another property to use the dive facilities. Bart and Bob are awesome (along with Klemo ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Natalya Calhoun (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 2:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all. I have another question. How many dives it is better to make to be comfortable enough to do the shore dives on our own. We will be complete "newbies". I certainly wouldn't want to do something dangerous on my own if I am not ready for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2888) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 3:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cyn, don't forget to mention Chris, Paul and Marjolein. All of the staff at WDB are fun yet very professional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky Hauser (BonaireTalker - Post #45) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't forget Jeffrey either, he's a riot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2889) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 3:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Becky, thank you for speaking up. I can not speak for Jeffrey as I have not had personal experience with him. I have only seen him in passing and he too seemed like a fun person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky Hauser (BonaireTalker - Post #46) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No problem... I had such a good experience at city center with Chris and Jeffrey, I just can't say enough about them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn Loo Hoo (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15469) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Paul...that's the one I forgot...oh, and Chris adn Marjolein (I didn't get to know them though)...but I'm sure they are great as well...

Natalya, you ask a difficult question. It will depend on how comfortable you feel once you are certified, and your navigation skills (which doesn't take much on Bonaire..most sites anyway). I would do a few boat dives after your cert, and maybe hire a DM to go with you on your first shore dives. I hired a DM a few years ago to do my checkout dive as my buddy wasn't on island yet, and I don't do the solo thing...yet? It was $15.00 for the hire at buddy's...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4261) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 4:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know Marjolein is a great instructor. She was trained at the same dive shop I was trained in Holland. If you meet her, please say hi from Martin. And tell her I WILL show her my skills are OK next time. She'll know... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #429) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 9:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

natalya, i agree with cynde (as usual). i'd do a few boat dives first so you can be in close proximity to the DM and get comfortable. once you feel comfortable underwater you can work on feeling comfortable walking in and out of the water with your gear on. on our first trip to bonaire i think we only did one shore dive and it was almost a disaster...the exit amounted to crawling out on our hands and knees onto the shore. but now we do almost exlusively shore dives. i think in our last 100 dives on bonaire we've only used a boat for three of them...but boats are nice places to meet other people and get more tips on easy places to shore dive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn Loo Hoo (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15473) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 9:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat, there's always shore diving from the "dock" LOL...easy entry...easy exit..no "waves" to worry about. (Unless there is a good surge going on...then it gets "interesting.")

We need to make sure we hook up and dive together next time we're on island at the same time. Norma and I are going to do some serious 2006 chick trip planning tomorrow night :-) Poor Michael...he has to kid sit :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #229) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 10:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Natalya
Best be realistic about this. Spend the entire week with a guide from some resort. It probably makes no real difference which one.
10 to 15 dives is not a lot of experience and the consequences of a mistake can be really serious. Diving with a guide is not all that terrible after all. You'll plenty of time in the future to shore dive on your own.
My 2 cents Mickey

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration