BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Lions Dive Resort, Bonaire (Mid Apr)
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-11-26 to 2003-04-30: Lions Dive Resort, Bonaire (Mid Apr)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Morin (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 3:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey everyone,

I am a diver without a buddy ( :-( ). I am taking a solo trip mid april. I was thinking of Lions Dive Resort, Bonaire. But, I have read it's not the best place to go solo (Bonaire, not Lions Dive Resort)...most visitors there are probably serious divers with buddies.

Does anyone have any views on this? Should I look elsewhere as a single diver?

Basic info: Budget hovers around > $2000.00, time frame one week, Saturday to Saturday.

Thanks,

Thomas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob neer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #728) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 3:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ya got plenty of budget :-) (i average about 1400-1500 - everything included, maybe a little more depending on how hungry you get and how much you cook yourself)...just pick a place and be quiet about the solo diving :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia Graves (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #128) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 4:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There can be families at Lions Dive so often there is a mum or a dad wanting a buddy. The dive shop, Bon Bini will always help with finding a buddy and if you boat dive there will be no problems, dive masters will buddy with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Morin (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 5:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Clarification - I apologize if my post implied I wanted to "solo" dive. I personally don't believe in the concept of solo diving. Comes from an ingrained attitude from my days in the Infantry - always work in buddy teams!

The meaning of my post was to inquire as to the chances of getting a dive buddy if I went to Boinaire alone in need of one. Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Smokey Braden (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 1:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

TOM,
I HAVE BEEN TO BONAIRE TWICE.
I'M THE ONLY DIVER IN MY FAMILY.
I DID NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM FINDING OTHER PEOPLE TO DIVE WITH. YOU WILL LOVE THE DIVING,BONAIRE IS A VERY UNIQUE LADY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Stoltzfus (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 1:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thomas,
We will be next door at Capt. Don's...April 7th - April 22nd. The first week my husband will be looking for a buddy. But, as stated above, it's usually not a problem on the boat dives. Just hang with the divemaster if everyone is paired up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #127) on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 1:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Thomas,

I stayed at Buddy Dive last year as a solo.It's right next door to Lion's. The Divi the year before that also solo. There were always groups or individuals who were available to hook up with for the splendid easy shore diving, although I confess that I do go over to the "DARK" side on Bonaire and enjoy the super easy diving there as a solo quite often. And that is by MY choice, not necessity. Just let the dive ops know you are available, chat up folks at the bars and restaurants and you should have more new friends and buddies than you'll have time to dive with them. Bonaire's calm waters are available 24/7 and the fish and coral life is simply spectacular. I predict you are going to LOVE the place and want to return often.

On my visits there were just as many "rookie" divers as there were "old salts". You will fit in and find diving to match your desires and skills no matter what your experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Morin (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 3:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob, Julia, Smokey, Linda, and Randy,

Thank you all for your quick responses. I have paid for the trip and will be there. I chose the 6 boat trips and unlimited shore diving option.

Linda - I'll say hello when I arrive.

Thanks again everyone,

Thomas

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration