BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: No more Canada 3000
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: No more Canada 3000
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Monday, November 12, 2001 - 7:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was very sad to learn that Canada 3000 has shut down all operations. Result of low passenger loads since 9/11, apparently. They just cancelled all their flights, and left people stranded whereever they were --- that had to be real rough as they had flights all over the world.

I already knew they had discontinued CUR/BON flights, but I've used them a lot to travel TOR/LON, so will really miss them. Air Canada pretty much has a monopoly in Canada now. That's not good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl Lowery on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 2:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Josie,

Yes, the demise of Canada 3000 left a lot of people stranded both away from home and trying to get away. Air Canada started a discount airline called Tango a few weeks ago. Canada 3000 was on the slippery slope down before 9/11 but that combined with Tango finished them off. There is an airline in western Canada called WestJet that we may see become more of a competitor to Air Canada. They are the only airline that is showing 3rd quarter profits and not whining about how much money they've lost since 9/11. Air Cananda is losing money like crazy and has appealed to the federal gov't for funding. Interestingly, WestJet sent a jet to Mexico early in the week to bring home a plane load of stranded Canada 3000 customers. They didn't charge them a cent. Does make you wonder who's going to come out ahead in the battle of the airlines here. I just hope we can continue to get out of the cold in the middle of winter!

Cheryl

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration