BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: Taking open bottles out ?
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2004: Archives - 2004-09-01 to 2004-12-31: Taking open bottles out ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise Kacavas (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #834) on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 1:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was told recently that if I do not finish a bottle of an alcholic beverage, in this case Amaretto, while on Bonaire, I can not pack it up and bring it home. Makes sense to me that they would not allow an opened bottle in my take on luggage, but is this true for the checked in luggage too? OK OK I know the easy answer is finish it before leaving, but not being much of a drinker that was not an option :-)

Anybody have an ansewr for me? just curious . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karin van Veen (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1581) on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 1:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. But saw something related to this subject when we where in St Maarten earlier this year. A guy who had to fly AA to the states (Miami?) had several (quite a few) bottles of liqueur in his suitcases (not carry on). Obviously they where all still closed, but during the luggage hand search he had to open them and took a draft out of every bottle (it was about 10 in the morning!), then they where taped and put back in his suitcases. I was really wondering what that was all about!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #697) on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 2:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Denise

I can't see any problem with the checked luggage, but then we help dispose of a friends Glenfiddich when he went home earlier this month. Now that was much more fun.

Maybe we could start a BT cache (Geocache?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Lott (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1923) on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 3:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Denise, I wasn't going to suggest drinking it faster... just staying in Bonaire longer, until it's finished. At your leisure, of course. ;)

Maybe pack it in bubble wrap?

Brian, I like your idea. I think BT should buy a condo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1888) on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 6:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Karin,

I suspect that most dangerously flammable liquids (ones in the bottle for burning airplane purposes) would taste a bit bad or even be poisonous in small amounts. Thus, make the carrier sample each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #638) on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 8:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I usually whip up a few cuba libra (rum n coke) and pour them back into a small coke bottle...sip them all the way home...

only if Michael or Murphyn didn't drink all my rum :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karin van Veen (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1582) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 8:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

oh, had not thought of that, Glen. But he didn't carry the bottles with him in the plane. My thought was it was something like: opened bottles don't count,....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Flook (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #177) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been told at the screening locations that my carry on of "Opened" liquor must stay behind. Sealed Liquor as carry on is ok. I have also read about people being forced to sip / drink from open containers which may or may not be liquor (Like a Coke or 7-Up). Remember the story about the Lady who was forced to drink her own milk that she had pumped for her infant! That was big news at the time. I wonder what they do with open perfume! I bet it tastes really bad.

Heres to ya Greg, we too find ways to have Rum and Cokes both comming and going (With out buying them from the airlines). Best way to make an 18 hour travel day pass more quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #639) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 9:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dave,

never been questioned about a bottle of "diet coke" except for the time that there was more rum than coke (color)...I told them the coke was from Cur, they let me pass....it was a good trip home

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise Kacavas (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #837) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 9:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

the carry on responses are fine, but what about an opened bottle in the non-carry on, the checked in, luggage. I was told by a friend it could not be inside the checked in, non-carry on luggage and it doesn't make sense to me ... anybody know? :-)

(I would ofcourse wrap it carefully to prevent breakage or leakage in the luggage.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Flook (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #178) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Denise,

I do not know the laws or airline rules for stowed but open bottles.

That said, I am betting that if a scanning device is used for the stowed items, as the method of search, then it would pass. However, the last I knew Bonaire was doing hand searches of stowed items. I would give it a 90% change of being confiscated if discovered during a hand search. Or maybe hey will just make you take a swig. Others must have experience here....

Gregg, you mix em like my wife.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Thuillier (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #146) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 6:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

On the "checked in" question, my guess is because it's a flammable. We usually give our open booze to the maid who has to pick up after us all week.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration