BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: Buying a car in Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2004: Archives - 2004-02-26 to 2004-08-31: Buying a car in Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 3:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greetings to All,
Just bought Liz and Ed's condo at LBR and I was thinking of buying a car, used, doesn't have to be new. I want to have it for use when we visit, which is about 4-6 times a year. Any suggestions or help from anyone would be great! Been an avid reader of this site for ages, thought it's time to actually participate and of course, ask a question. Thanks for any info you might have on purchasing a car for private use. I will be on the island sometime toward later part of September. Debbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1476) on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 3:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Get a Toyota or a car that you can get parts here. Buy in CUR if you can and send over with Don Andres.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 3:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Ann, I never thought of going to CUR to buy a car. Is it not a good idea to purchase on Bonaire? I guess CUR would have a bigger selection of vehicles. And one more thing, who is Don Andres? I am not familiar with him as of yet. Deb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1478) on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 3:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry Deb..I was not a clear was I??

Don Andres is a shipping company. It is about 300,00 to bring a car over. You can always fill it up with goodies..Yes, CUR has a great selection. My friend is a mechanic and can meet you there and shop with you..or if your DH is knowledgeable??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 4:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann, No, my DH is not good, going to work on it over the winter months. I would love to meet up with your mechanic friend in CUR. I will let you know when I will be exactly going. My hubby will also be on the island in November after me. He might be better able than I to find a keeper. I will be in touch. Thanks so much! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 2:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Ann, I just talked to my DH (dear husband) and I thought DH meant dutch!! Boy, he sure did let me know it too! Sorry dear husband!! Give me a break, I'm new at this. Promise, I will catch on, I'm a quick study. Debbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1770) on Saturday, August 7, 2004 - 12:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have a friend who is deperate to sell his Montero (Nafl 42,000). Also has a Mercedes SUV as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Liz Ginocchio (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #282) on Saturday, August 7, 2004 - 12:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Mike,

Keep an eye out for us too...looking for a newer pickup, preferrably 4 door, power steering...around 10.000,00 would be our limit.

Hi Debbie! Hope everything is going well with the townhouse... We are doing very well at the Inn! We spent the last month on the island getting it ready. Anyway, they do have a Ford, Isuzu, Toyota dealships on the island and they do sell used cars. You might also want to check them out while you you are on the island. Liz
Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Zupek (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Saturday, August 7, 2004 - 6:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Try not to bring an American market car into Bonaire. Instead you want a South American marketed auto. Parts and diagnostic equipment are virtually impossible to find for American market autos. For instance, catalytic converters, air bags, and the real killer the ECM (electronic control module or simply stated the cars on board computer.) I rely on the web to procure parts for my Montero (autopartsgiant.com) but overnight service is actually like one week - plus I am buying needless parts since no real diagnostic equipment is available. The dreaded "check engine" light is on, performance is terrible, but I can't find the computer check code to isolate the problem so I keep calling Miami and buying part after part. I would definitely do a Toyota - Ackerman's or a Curacao auto with service available in Bonaire Suzuki?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Saturday, August 7, 2004 - 8:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike, Thanks for info, will relay to hubby.
Liz, the townhouse is going great! Thanks for asking. Congrats! I hear your Inn will be featured in Scuba Diving in Nov.. We just put ours on EBay for a week and see what happens. I will be going to see our place for the first time either the last week of August or one of the last two weeks of September. Checking air fares now and when place isn't rented out. I'm excited about going to finally see it and be back on Bonaire! Too bad hubby isn't going with me this time, I won't be able to do any diving! And I've read so many great trip reports, dolphin pods, even a whale shark! I'll just have to snorkel and that's fun too! See a lot of stuff that way as well. Debbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Liz Ginocchio (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #285) on Saturday, August 7, 2004 - 9:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie,

Thanks, we will just be featured in "Diving Deals", that's all, but I hope it will give us some great coverage. Hey, Air Jamaica is having a special on airfare, have to purchase by the 17th though. Out of Philly if you fly out Wed or Thurs and return Wed or Thurs it is $413.00 What you have to do is call the airline tell them you want the $413.00 special R/T PHL to BON. It is a VERY easy trip...about a 1 hour layover in Montego Bay (enough time to use the restroom, get a drink and shop a little down stairs) Then Montego bay to Bonaire...arrive at 2:30 pm, you leave Philly at 7:40 I think. When you go onto the AirJam website click the seal in the upper right hand corner. That is where you will find the internet deals. We have a very interested party coming to see our house in Little Egg Harbor.. wish us luck!

Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanf (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #834) on Sunday, August 8, 2004 - 9:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That special in on the AJ website, too http://www.airjamaica.com/Sale_Detail.asp?SaleID=71. I actually got the same Sun-Sun deal ($493 - $536 after taxes) almost 2 weeks ago. Remember, the $413 is before taxes - it comes out to around $455 or so once they add on the taxes. Boston, Baltimore and Philadelphia are the same. New York/Newark are even cheaper - $381 weekdays/$461 weekends (Fri, Sat, Sun) - if you can get to those airports as easily as Philly, it might be worth while for you. LA also has a good fare - $513/$593 - that sounds like a great fare fromt the left coast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanf (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #835) on Sunday, August 8, 2004 - 9:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oops - Liz, I just noticed that you mentioned the website too (gotta stop skimming!)

Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Sunday, August 8, 2004 - 1:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Liz,
Good luck with your house. Sure it will go well. Thanks for the airfare tip. Hubby just booked his flight for November. He still hasn't made up when I go, should be soon. Can't wait! Deb

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration