BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: What's the best & (& worst) time to visit Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2004: Archives - 2004-02-26 to 2004-08-31: What's the best & (& worst) time to visit Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Smith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 4:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We haven't been to Bonaire before, but are planning to visit soon. What are the best months to be there? Are there any months to avoid?
Thanks.
Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Long (BonaireTalker - Post #92) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 5:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry, we have been to Bonaire in May, June, July, August, October, and November, and we haven't found a bad month in Bonaire yet. We will be in Bonaire for 10 days in November this year. Gary & Kathy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3777) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 8:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think there is such a thing as a "bad" month on Bonaire. The fall/winter months might bring a few more showers (no real rain, per se' on Bonaire) and it might be a tad cooler but that's about it....being so close to the equator (12 degrees North, I believe) the weather is pretty constant as are the sunrises and sunsets, etc. You will LOVE Bonaire no matter what time of year you might visit. Have a great time!!

Welcome to the board, Jerry! Ayo. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renea (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #122) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 9:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree...there's probably not a bad month on Bonaire. Although, we've been in March, April, May, August, September, and October. We do prefer late August/Early September or late September/October. This year we are going during the beginning of September for 12 days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Goodwin (BonaireTalker - Post #35) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 9:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm gonna get stung for this......

I'll never return to Bonaire during Carnival again. Don't get me wrong; the trip was still fantastic. I will just avoid Carnaval in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #631) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 6:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry, Welcome to the boards.

I have been on Bonaire in, November, January, February and March, every time was incredible!

I am returning in October this year.

Dave, No sting here. As much as I enjoy the atmosphere around carnival and watching "Jump-Up", getting around Kralendijk by vehicle can be a hassle at that time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Burdette (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 9:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Going to Bonaire for the first time the last week of September so I'm new to all this. When is Carnival?

Tanks, Richard

P.S. Still counting down. 66 DAYS TO GO!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lesa Zoldan (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Richard- I have wanted to write you since we returned from our 1st trip to Bon. June 2! As 1st timers, we weren't sure what to expect...but I have to say-I have found a new favorite island. Much more laid back than most other island we've been to. Just wait 'til you see the underH20 life & the sunsets!!!! WOW!!!

No problem w/crime for us. Stayed at Harbor Village which was gorgeous. You have to hit Bongos for sunset! The Argentinian Grill for dinner..I would have their grilled shrimp flown to Ohio if I could! Only bad part was the flight time~

Can't wait to hear about your experience!
Lesa Z
Boardman, Ohio

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lesa Zoldan (BonaireTalker - Post #34) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

P.S. Richard- Check out the slide show that was posted under trip reports 7/14/04- felt like I was there again~
Lesa Z

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #725) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carnival is the non-French name for Mardi Gras and like Mardi Gras it changes times depending on the start of Lent. I have not been there during Carnival, but from the pictures I have seen, it is much more family friendly than Naw 'Leans or Rio's versions. It also lasts longer, look on the calendar thread of www.infobonaire.com for events and dates in red.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Leonard (BonaireTalker - Post #85) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Been to Bonaire twice in April and loved it both times. Next trip is this August (23 days to go!!) so I'll let ya know what I prefer when I get back. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #230) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 1:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have been in Feb. and March and it is great. In Sept. the wind usually drops off so it might feel warmer and no wind to blow away the bugs. At least you don't have to worry about hurricanes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Burdette (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 2:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Lesa..Glad to hear you had a great time on Bonaire. I'll take you up on your recommendations for Bongo's and the Argentinian Grill. And, yes, I did see the slide show that was posted and all it did was give me an even WORSE case of PBD!! (and I haven't even been there yet). So, are you planning a return trip already??

I'll be sure to post a complete trip report when we return. I've even purchased a digital camera with an underwater housing so MAYBE I'll have some photos to share (if I can figure out how. I'm not what you would call all that computer literate.)

"ONLY" 66 DAYS TO GO!!!

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3783) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 8:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Richard, don't fear the digitals! They are so easy to work with now. I picked up the Canon S40 with their underwater housing a couple of years ago and it is very simple to use. It is not as good as the high end u/w cameras, but it is fun. You can use it on land, too and the land pics are so crisp. Lots of fun!

Have a wonderful time!! We returned on June 26 and our PBD is still severe....need to return as soon as possible...Bonaire is THAT addicting! Ayo. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Burdette (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 8:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Carole...It's not taking digital pictures that I'm confused about; it's how to get them posted on BT. I'm still trying to figure out how to move my pictures around in my computer (from this file to that file and how to E-mail images). But, I'll figure it out by the time we return from Bonaire.

By the way, this is going to be our first trip to Bonaire and I've been spending a LOT of time on BT (just ask my wife!!) I read just about every post and I've come to the point where so much seems familiar to me; dive sites, restaurants, where to shop, etc. I have a friend who's been to Bonaire three times (and loves it!!) and he's a little worried that I've built it up so much that by the time I actually get there I'll be disappointed; that it won't live up to what I expect. I don't think that's possible. As long as we have a nice place to stay (BelMar) and the diving is good, and the people are friendly, it will be everything we want it to be!!!

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Burdette (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 8:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

P.S. "Only" 65 DAYS TO GO!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3787) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Richard....believe me, it will be everything you wanted it to be ...... and then some! I know you will love Bonaire and her people. Countdowns are fun, too! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dawn Spencer (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 9:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry & Richard....Bonaire is my favorite place on earth! My husband feels the same way. We have been twice and we feel addicted. First time in February for a week and the next year 2 weeks at the end of February. We love the diving & the people. At first you think you have landed in the Las Vegas desert but then you realize that there is so much more. It is truly a beautiful Island. Can't wait to get back there! Don't forget to go to Gibi's on Tuesday night to meet up with other Bonaire Talkers.
Enjoy,
Dawn & Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lisa Mac (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 5:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gibi's and Bongo's??
We will be arriving Aug 8th for our first time!! Our 9 year old has been counting down for the past 3 months. He is as excited as we are. I hope there is enough to keep him occupied. Tell us about Gibi's and Bongo's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ingram Smarius (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kon a bai ku tur hende?
Boso a puntra ki temporada ta e mihó pa bini Boneiru.
Tin dos fecha di fiesta ku falta ainda pa bini, e promé ta "Dia di bandera" ku ta wòrdu selebrá dia 6 di sèptèmber anto tin otro dia di fiesta ku ta un di esunnan mas ansha durante henter aña ku ta "Regata" e sei ta wòrdu selebrá dia 6 di òktober.

I hope you guys can read this, hey English is just my second language.
So have fun translating... :o)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration