BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: Best beach
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2004: Archives - 2003-04-30 to 2004-02-25: Best beach
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ruth (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 7:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

I will be visiting Bonaire at the end of January on a cruise ship so will be only there for the day.

What I need to know is what is the area called where the ship docks? Also can you recommend a beach for safe swimming for a child not too far away from the dock? And will I be able to get a taxi from the dock to the beach, any idea how much for three people?

Thanks so much
Ruth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #124) on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 9:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cruise ships dock in town, and you would be within walking distance (2 blocks) of Cha Cha "beach," a relatively easy access swimming area just before the Divi Hotel. Look from your ship, town is where artists gather in the plaza, where you can see a large (for Bonaire) peach colored mall (Harborside), main street w/pastel bldgs, etc, then walk along seaside in opposite direction, usually the way your ship's bow is pointing. If you come upon gates of Divi Hotel, you've gone just a bit too far, go back a few steps & down to water. This is Bonaire, so it is not a big sandy beach (maybe no beach at all depending upon tide?), but it is a swimming area where lots of kids do swim. The best area would probably be over to Jibe City, a 15 min ride, maybe also $15 taxi? Great area to hang out, chairs, tradewinds, shade, beach bar/lunch place, changing room, sandy beach, windsurfers to watch, etc., just keep kids in shallow area out of surfing traffic (my personal fav).

I'm not sure of the hotel policies, but you also might be able to go to the Plaza Hotel or in to the Divi Hotel for the day to use their beaches, for a fee, maybe $5+ pp, taxi to Plaza probably about +/- $10--ask the tour operator on board.

Ruth of Bonaire

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration