BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Accommodations: Best resort for 12 year old
Bonaire Talk: Accommodations: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2006: Archive - 2006-03-01 to 2006-08-31: Best resort for 12 year old
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bonnie weinstein (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 8:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

we are traveling to Bonaire for the first time this august with our 12 year old son. We are looking for accomendations to best fit our needs: family friendly/kids programs, snorkeling right off the beach and beginner dive instruction. We are thinking about Divi, Plaza or Sand Dollar but are open to all suggestions. thanks for your help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Goodman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #362) on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We stayed at Plaza several years with our kids & love the Aqua Kids program, although our oldest was 10 yrs old when she last did it (8 yr old still loved it this year) and is probably better suited for the 7-10 crowd. The next year she became certified through Toucan.

We have since "graduated" to BelMar. They have diving & snorkeling right off the docks, but no organized kids program. I'm sure they would give your 12 yr old wonderful instruction.

To fill his/her time up, you could contact Caren - she has a wonderful morning program and may be able to pick up at BelMar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3724) on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Bonnie, Welcome to BT! I have an eleven year old son going to be twelve this November and he just loves the Divi for snorkeling and also likes the Plaza. Either one should be fine for him. The Plaza has a bigger sandy beach while the Divi has a smaller beach, but both have good snorkeling or diving. Ms Caren from Sea & Discover is awesome and I believe your son would enjoy her as my son has for many years. She is really fun and a super lady who knows her fish and makes learning about the sea and its creatures fun! Check out her website: http://www.bonairenature.com/seandiscover/ By the way, Ms. Caren does not pick up at the Belmar.

I would lean more to the Divi with children, the Plaza is an easy walk right down the road if he would want to venture to another place to snorkel and hang out on the beach! They are quite close to each other. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By andrew Parlour (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 1:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just returned from Sand Dollar with my 11 year old and my 3 year old (yes it was an adventure). The 11 year old dives so she either dove or slept. The young one was in the Sand Penny club which is basicly day care. If the 11 year old did not dive I am not sure that she would have had enough to do at the Sand Dollar. Also Sand Dollar is an "open Campus" meaning it does not have the same sense of security that the other places you mention might.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Stoltzfus (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #900) on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 1:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonnie,
welcome
I first traveled to Bonaire in 2002 with a 12 year old. Read my trip report for my experience.
http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/1022/31140.html?1021997999

I agree that your son has graduated from most of the kid programs. But Caren from Sea & Discover has an excellent program that he would probably enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Roberts (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 8:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonnie,

Last year I took my then 13 year old with me to the Divi and it was awesome. So much so we are returning in a few weeks. Great diving off the shore and while we were there he got his Jr. Advanced Open Water certificate. The instructor's name was Alven. He was the best. Maybe spelling it wrong but he is hard to miss. He is the one that looks like he is about to dive in the Artic ocean. We spent hours on the giant chess board and I do not even like playing chess. The grounds seemed secure and as I said we loved the trip. Would highly recommend.

mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carrie Huhtanen (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonnie, just wondering where you ended up staying. Trying to plan a trip w/ my young children - ages 3 and 5. I've stayed at the Plaza but without kids. Looking for a 2 bedroom suite/condo. Sand Dollar is looking pretty great right now. The price is right! Plaza's 2 bedrooms are much more expensive and not that close to the pool/beach. Divi doesn't have 2 bedrooms. Any advice?? Carrie

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration