BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Community Chat: Okay Let's Try This For Extra Credit
Bonaire Talk: Community Chat: Archives: Archives 2008: Archives - 2008-09-01 to 2008-09-30: Okay Let's Try This For Extra Credit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *BlueHarley* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2240) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 3:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Got a favorite Quote, Saying, Poem, Thought???

I would like to see what others think, what inspires them, makes them who they are....come on lurkers you to...time to jump out for at least one post and it doesn't have to be yours just whatever you want to add, share, or pass along. Keep it Mod friendly...you know how they are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *BlueHarley* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2241) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 3:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is mine::

Understand my peace as I ride down the road
Riding in the hot sun, the rain, or the cold

Of the places I have been and things you do not see
Different towns and cities the feeling of being free

I have ridden many miles with brothers by my side
Always just a joking it’s nothing but a ride

I wish you could ride beside me and see things I see
By lakes, old homesteads, and the roads that use to be

So when you travel down your highway and making real good time
You see that same old concrete and to you that may be fine

I will stick to my back roads you can have that same ole' view
And when I talk about it you might not have a clue

We know its much more, always clear and understood
No matter what happens….as always It's All Good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6809) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very nice BH. I have to go with the one on my office wall.

No man is an island, entire of itself
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main
if a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were,
as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were
any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind
and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls
it tolls for thee.

-- John Donne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #646) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 3:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes" -- Maggie Kuhn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Linda* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2714) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 3:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"Happiness is a hand held sail."
Saw it in an OLD windsurfing magazine - I think in a Windsurfer (brand) advertisement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie, (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10667) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 3:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK here is mine:
Life is not a journey to the grave
With the intention of
Arriving safely in a pretty
And well preserved body,
But rather to skid in broadside,
Thoroughly used up,
Totally worn out,
And loudly proclaiming,

WOW !!!! What a ride!

Erma Bombeck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Linda* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2716) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was too late to add this into my last post, but it goes with it.

http://www.americanwindsurfer.com/MAG/BACK/issue7.1/blastpast.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12670) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 4:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Blame it on Cynde!

Jerry Gauron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Hall - Bonaire Sept 13-27 (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11392) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 6:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I like this. :-) I've been inspired by poetry my entire life, (Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, on and on), and had 18 notebooks full, but in the great AL bonfire (moving to FL and downsizing our life), I threw all but 2 in. (Why???? lol I saved one from when I was 18 and one from when I was 34.) I've submitted only 3 and they are all published.

Anyways, I like my own mermaid poem and picture of my best mermaid sand sculpture, as it expresses how I feel like nothing else. Well, when you read between the lines.
In the whitest gulf bleached sand
I'm drawn to squeeze tight in my hand
Dust of the sea, of life itself
And then...I can not stop myself.
In tender strokes, urgent of time
Uncovering quickly, there I find
A face, an arm I have exposed.
Always this is the way it goes ...
Working like some fool unheeding
Quickly while the tide's receding.
Within the hour she's laid bare
Shells on breasts, long flowing hair,
Athenian face with aquiline nose
Washed ashore in calm repose.
Sinewy, lovely, lithe and long
Each time I hear the mermaid's song
And uncover her from the burning sand
So for just one day….she graces land.
They take her picture, touch her hand
Catching the eye of child and man
Smile soft and sad, she knows the sea
Will come to claim her when we leave……..
Kathy

In between the lines is life is relatively short. Beauty is short lived. But the beauty of life is forever, as is the memory of a happy life when we've gone, or as we are leaving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Hall - Bonaire Sept 13-27 (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11393) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 6:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

BH, I know your's is an original Chuck poem, and I love it. I feel it. :-) xx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boom starts with a Tara (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8106) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 7:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Be the change you wish to see in the world, Ghandi

Enjoy the Journey, unknown to me

To see a world in a grain of sand
and heaven in a wild flower,
hold infinity in the palm of your hand
and eternity in an hour
William Blake

How beautiful it is to do nothing
and the rest afterwards
a Spanish Proverb

:-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RA. no more, no less (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3050) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 7:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Something my mom said to me when I was having a teen moment. It changed my life and the way I looked at her and felt about her, it gave me a feeling of utmost respect and admiration that I never could have imagined.

I was throwing a hissy fit because she wasn't giving in to something I wanted and in a nasty teenage voice I said "I never want to be like you!" She smiled, took my hand and said " I never want you to be like me either, I want you to be all the things I wish I was and better at everything you do than I was". I stopped cold in my tracks and started crying and from that day on I adored my mother more than you can imagine.

She always was an amazing lady, just took a little wake up call to make me see it :-) this inspires me everyday to be the best I can be. And I promise to pass this onto my kids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna in the Poconos (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2425) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 9:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow Roseanne...all I can say is Wow! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna in the Poconos (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2426) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 10:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My favorite quotes are all from the Bible...hope no one is offended...

..with God all things are possible.

Be still and know that I am God.

His mercies are new every morning.

Great is thy faithfulness

Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever.

If God is for us, who can be against us.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

etc.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Cherry Bonaire Oct.3rd-YES!!! (BonaireTalker - Post #96) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 10:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Donna, that is very good. Those are some of Lynda's and mine favorite too. We like this one too. PSALM 107 V. 23-24. I also hope no one is offended.

(Message edited by randy_c on September 8, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky - 4 weeks to go (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1865) on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 10:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My favorite line is from the song "The Long Way Home" by Gaelic Storm (off their album "Bring your Wellies")

I'm doing ok, I've got friends and family. People to love, and people who love me.

Pretty much sums it up for me :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Judy Workman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #113) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 7:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not poetry, but a saying from my Mom's friend who was dying of cancer: "You can sign your name in the dust, just don't date it!" Makes me re-prioritize what's important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Krispi* 33 days!! Who's counting? (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3214) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 9:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is full of such amazing, heartfelt beauty..

RA..I admire your Mother also!

BH..I am very touched and can feel the wind in my hair!

Kathy..I can hear the waves..that was beautiful.

I wish I could find the means by which I could express the emotions and visions that are within me ...I am not a poet, nor a painter. I admire those who are able to express and wish to surround myself with the beauty of these talented people's spirit.

If I had to find a poem or a "saying" that would express the longing within...

Psalms 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God....

Exodus 14:14... The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."

1 Corinthians 10:31
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Another one that touches me
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it; but, what they become by it"...John Ruskin

Art is not a study of positive reality, it is the seeking for ideal truth.
Quotation of John Ruskin

It is in this power of saying everything, and yet saying nothing too plainly, that the perfection of art consists.
Quotation of John Ruskin

The greatest thing a human soul ever does in this world... to see clearly is poetry, prophecy and religion all in one.
Quotation of John Ruskin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, at home. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6722) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 9:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here are two of mine. A little redundant if you ever received an email from me as they are my tag line.

"Life is an experiment without a control group." Joachim Krueger

"Man is by no means the crown of creation: every living being stands beside him on the same level of perfection." Nietzsche

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Erhard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #103) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 10:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Off the top of my head here are two quick ones:

God have mercy on the man
Who doubts what he's sure of

- From Bruce Springsteen's song Brilliant Disguise

"Just how much you're supposed to enjoy every sandwich."

- Warren Zevon when asked by David Letterman (in a very moving final appearance on his show and after having been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer) "Is there anything you understand now that you didn't before?" A tribute album was put out with the title "Enjoy Every Sandwich" after his death in 2003.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO - Meet me at the 3Day in Atlanta (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4269) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 11:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Si, se puede!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenda Carlson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 11:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

life is more important than time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eileen - just me! (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13112) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 1:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Some are fun ones here - I just copied my quotes from Facebook. I love Boom's quote.

'Never regret growing older
It is a privilege denied to many'
- Boom from BT gave me this, I do not know the author. Great quote.

'Be nice or I'll crop you out of my photos.'
-Creative Memories

'Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad.' - Unknown

'Your children will become what you are, so be what you want them to be.' - David Bly

'If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.' - Winnie the Pooh quote

'Don't be sad that it is over, be happy that it happened.' One of my faves!!

'Don't judge people by their relatives.'

'Life is too short to drink cheap wine.'

'You can't scare me, I have children.'

'Speak the truth, but leave immediately after.'

'Born Free, now I'm Expensive.'

'When in Doubt, Add more Wine'

I love the moving quotes too, there are too many out there to list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pegi Sue, PS1, PegiPie (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6612) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 2:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not til the loom is silent
and the shuttles cease to fly,

Will God unfold the canvas
to show the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful
in the skillful weavers hand

As the threads of gold and silver,
in the pattern he has planned.

Don't know who said it, but it was on something from my real father's funeral when I was 11. I've always remembered it.

Now, for the REAL ME...

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Howard S. Thompson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boom starts with a Tara (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8108) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 2:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

YoMo --- I'm all over that one :-)!!!

Eileen --- I'm so glad to have paid that quote forward - very dear to my heart. I love the picture cropping one.

PS --- LOL!!!!! Happy Hour anyone???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pegi Sue, PS1, PegiPie (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6615) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 2:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Which reminds me, I bought beer at Walmart!!!

Oh, and I have another...
BEER! IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER!!

And we can NEVER forget..

IT'S ALL GOOD!!!

OR

THE LOWER THE LATITUDE, THE BETTER THE ATTITUDE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boom starts with a Tara (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8109) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 2:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bette ( BC from you know where) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1475) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOW!!!!!! BH, you've done it again :-):-):-):-):-)

I am so impressed!!!!!!!!
So many "right on the spot" words. And to think that this is probably only a small part of entire existing philosophical wisdom of mankind!!!! Makes you wonder why world peace is still just beyond our grasp!

I have hesitated very long to add my humble part but Krisisis's post pulled me over.

I am also not a poet, painter, singer (yeah, in the shower) or whatever other artist but I am able to express my feelings, emotions and gratitude for the wonders of life through the simple act of helping people by means of listening and understanding.
My biggest hobby (since I was a little girl) is "The Peculiar Species of Mankind" and I have learned a lot. Not only about others but definitely also about myself.
For instance:

It can be a consolation for many to know we are not so different at all.
Or
Laughing is our only defence against Stress!
Another
No Freedom without Responsibility!
And another
You are the only one who can make your life better!

In all honesty, I have to admit something.
Over the years I have written every "wisdom" I heard down in what I call my Little Book of Wisdom and sometimes, when I'm struck again, I will open that book on a random page and read the "Wisdoms" written down there and sure enough I'll find a way out.
How amazing is that!?!
Well, to end with one last quote; The Answers are already there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pegi Sue, PS1, PegiPie (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6626) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bette, that is all so nice. I can't wait to meet you. I had to think over-nite about it too...but all I could think is what I put.:-)

I used to write all of mine down, then I just stuck w/ my last one, well, the one in red. It's always worked for me:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kimo (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #201) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 7:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, here we go.. I like all the thoughts and poems posted but at the end of the day, for me, inspiration comes from my family. I love to laugh and have a great time with my friends but they don't compare to the feeling I get when my 9 yr old daughter actually wants me to walk her into school (I know it won't last) and slips her hand into mine and gives it a little squeeze and tells me she loves me.. That makes it all worth it!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RA. no more, no less (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3054) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 7:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

KIMO! where the he(( have you been?? nice to see you and nice to hear that your little girl loves her daddy!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kimo (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #202) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 8:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My long vacation was over so I don't get the chance to visit (lurk) as much as I did during the early summer.. I still look in from time to time to make sure all you guys are all doing good and to get a couple laughs... Kelly has bleached all the things I turned pink back to white while I was off and had laundry duty. We have been planning the next vacation and have thought about Bermuda or the Caymans but it always comes back to Bonaire..

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration