BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Letter from STINAPA
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2008-2009: Archives - 01-01-2009 to 03-31-2009: Letter from STINAPA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie {Moderator} (Moderator - Post #712) on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 7:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From: "Bonaire National Marine Park" <marinepark@stinapa.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 08:46:10 -0400

Dear All:

It has been brought to my attention that some divers have been putting dead coral on top of live colonies as a markers to find their way back to the exit point. This practice as you can imagine beside being unnecessary if you have some minimum navigation skills, damage the live tissue of the coral and is illegal. The wounds produced by this markers are possible points of infection for different diseases like black band disease or yellow blotch. Please inform your divers accordingly and discourage this practice. For more information about coral reefs diseases please check http://www.coris.noaa.gov/about/diseases/

Best regards and do not hesitate in contact me if you have some further questions.

*************************************

STINAPA Bonaire

Ramón de León

Manager - Bonaire National Marine Park

P.O. Box 368
Bonaire - Netherlands Antilles.
Phone: (599) 717 8444.
Fax: (599) 717 7318.

E-mail: marinepark@stinapa.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt, back May 2nd (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #775) on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 7:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I swear, if I see someone doing that I'm going to go "Sea Hunt" and start cutting hoses with my sea snips. It always worked for Mike Nelson, but he used a knife.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2983) on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike was cutting 2-hose reg hoses, I believe - different animal from today's 'armored' single hose 'IP' hoses!

You may want to test your system before trying it on a diver. Probably won't be happy and might be one of those crazy divers who carry a knife even while diving on Bonaire so you want to get it done quickly!!!

Good hunting!!! Yes, pun intended. :–)

(Message edited by glenr on March 26, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2088) on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 5:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good posting Freddie..I've seen this practice referred to in past postings by newbie divers to Bonaire. Absolutely NO NEED for anyone to do this silly stuff. Don't even think about doing it. Practice your nav. skills & you'll eventually learn by trial & error.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7417) on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 6:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Or alternately, after you finish your safety stop, stick your head up and see where you are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Menno (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #236) on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for posting this Freddie!!
What is not to understand about 'Don't touch'.
Working in diving now for a few years I only wish this practise was the worst I have seen...... The real scary thing is that 'the newbie' divers are not the biggest problem "we" have. I just wonder how long the diving freedom as we know it (and love!) will keep on existing if some (experienced!) divers keep on behaving like they do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill LaBarge (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #157) on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Retired Grunt... I will tell you about a group of young German men that we chased off Oil Slick sometime... they pretended that they didn't undertand English... but one of our lady divers, a soccer official and tough as nails, was German and read them the riot act with finger waving... she is very scary when provoked by divers lying in the coral... funny to watch but it was a very angry day...
Tomorrow Bonaire.... Bon Bini..... Tell Bruce Bowker I'll probably be buying something... it never fails...
Wheels up at 11:30PM... 4:30 on Bonaire... Yes!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Freddie* (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11719) on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I must confess that a friend sent this to me to post :-) Thank you :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt, back May 2nd (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #776) on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe I'll need bolt cutters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-dhP_jSO6I

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DiveWarm (BonaireTalker - Post #72) on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I hope all the dive operators are including this information in their dive briefings. One thing is sure, if we see this happening when we're on island this summer, we'll remove the "marker" immediately to hopefully reduce the damage to the live coral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Menno (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #237) on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am sure that all operators do the best they can in terms of properly informing their divers. During the (for EVERY new arrival) mandatory orientation the MP regulation will be addressed and explained further if not understood.
During boatdives there will be a dive briefing before entering the waters and this is indeed another opportunity to address the same regulations again, but, come on here, how many times do you need to say the same things to the same people......
My point mainly is that with dive briefings you only reach the ones who do a boat- or guided shore-dive. We all know that during these dives it is not very likely that divers tend to violate the MP regulations and certainly not intentionally. The "bad" guys know exactly that they do wrong and think they can get away with it. It is a matter of mentality. Some simply don't care and think all those regulation do not apply on them for whatever reason, especially if there is no ranger or guide around.....

I would suggest to take a picture of the violation and then inform the Marine Park and or your dive operator. Preferably a picture of the violator doing 'it'. Please do so with all "mistakes" you see and let the Marine Park deal with it. They are the authority who should and can address this. Dive operators are limited (and bound) to informing their divers about the set regulations -- the park itself should deal with the violators of their regulations.

DiveWarm; (Please, please, please don't get me wrong,) I know you mean very well, but, what part of 'don't touch' did you not understand.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DiveWarm (BonaireTalker - Post #73) on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 5:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Menno, so rather than having someone carefully remove the dead coral "marker" off of the live coral (after watching someone JUST put it there), you'd rather it be left? If that's the case, then I'll leave it there to damage the live coral further.

Since you do not know me and what kind of a diver I am, I do not take offense at your remarks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Menno (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #238) on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 6:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was kind of afraid that you would say this and take it this way after rereading my posting. As said, I know you mean very well and, indeed, I do not know what kind of diver you are. FYI: It has nothing to do what I think about this it is what the Marine Park regulations say. If everybody just applied these to their diving activities we wouldn't have this discussion.
See it more this way;
To others who might see you removing coral rubble from somewhere to put it somewhere else it would look exactly like that. They might have no clue what you are doing and what kind of diver you are, all they see is someone picking up something and putting it somewhere else....
Please contact the Marine Park and ask them what you should or should not do in case you see a violation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda boates (BonaireTalker - Post #42) on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

some people just shouldn't dive........period

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DiveWarm (BonaireTalker - Post #74) on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Menno, thank you for clarifying what you meant, I see exactly what you were trying to say and can't say I disagree with you at all.

It seems that doing what I normally do...keeping my arms folded across my body and my hands to myself, is what I will continue to do this summer diving Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Menno (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #239) on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 7:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

role-model (??sp??) diver that you are!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fid Chinoy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #146) on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 4:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I met a lady who was required to wear gloves and had a current doctor's note to that effect. She would have some people come up to her and politely tell her that gloves were not allowed, while others would yell at her, shout obscenities and even sometimes become physically threatening.

The point being that things are not always as they appear. Running around quoting the Good Book and preaching to other divers without applying common sense may not be the best approach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda boates (BonaireTalker - Post #43) on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 5:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

if ??sp?? is meaning me, I (hope) certainly try to be.
I wear no neoprene or lycra (Caribbean)diving, if I were to hit something, I would want to know, haven't come up with a mark in 17 yrs. No dangling gear, I dive with 4 lbs lead (2 lbs when using camera gear). I never do the 1 finger touch, while using cameras,ever, strictly hands off. What I mean about some people shouldn't dive, is in the same vane as some people shouldn't drive (Ithink we all know at least 1!)! In '02, my night vision started failing, so I sold my car, haven't driven since. Safety (for others) 1st! Just 'cause you have a license,or c-card, doesn't mean you shouldn't continue to improve your skills. I certainly meant no offense, it was a flippant remark (without back-up)sorry if that was implied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Menno (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #240) on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 8:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

??sp?? stands for 'spelling'.
FYI: I do wear a wetsuit and a thick one too I can tell you Bbbrrrrr.... 'Freezing' cold that water lately ....!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian* * * * (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4428) on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 3:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We did a night dive at La Machaca and some dumb f*$£ had put 4lb weight with a strobe on a coral head next to the rope. I moved it to the sand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO - is it wine time yet? (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4704) on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I gotta say that I too wear a wetsuit and I need a REALLY thick one anymore. Not that it wouldn't be wonderful to dive without but I FREEZE and yes, I mean in the Carib. It sucks but it is what it is.

And Brian - you mean there's a problem putting lead on something living????

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration