BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: American reduces DFW-BON fare
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: American reduces DFW-BON fare
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 11:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

For anyone who might use a DFW-SJU-BON routing with American, I noticed that their fare this morning for departure 14 January with return 23 January is $530 RT per person.

This is a rather substantial drop of $359 RT per person since last week.

The fare is quoted on the American Web site, http://www.americanairlines.com.

We are not employees nor stockholders in American. Just want fellow BTers to have the latest travel news as we find it.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leif S on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 5:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks a million, plus or minus $718! (the savings times 2 for me and my buddy) That's my exact route, wonder if the rate drop is for all flight schedules, and if so, for how long...

Too bad AA lost $924mil last quarter; but I wouldn't worry too much about this route, it is usually full planes so it ought to be a modestly profitable route compared to many others that are still running 1/2 sold or less.

-LS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James & Margarite Hix on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 8:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello , Fellow Texans! About that flight.....still not a wonderful rate. Our flight was about that price in Sept., and the plane was about 1/2 empty. We each had a row of seats. The flight times are sooooo bad! Makes me want to take Continental to Houston and Air Jam to MoBay And then on to Bonaire! But we're flying back to Flamingo Airport on AA again in Dec.,... this time on award tickets. That's the price I like! Bon Noche! Margarite

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lori File on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 2:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am coming in Jan 03 from ST. Louis. This trip sounds difficult. What is San Juan Like? What happens when you get there? More lines to wait in? Lost Luggage? Is it a long walk to your connection? How many hours ahead do you have to be at Bonaire Airport when you leave? What is the best travel day? Any problems with weight limits (all that gear). It look like we will be traveling Amereican Airlines, and then some "other" flight. Then on the way back we have to go thru New Jersey!! Is all this as bad as it sounds?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 7:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lori -

What great fun!

I am sending a rather detailed Word file directly to your e-dress that I hope answers some of your questions...and adds a couple that you didn't mention, but that may be important.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leif S on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 3:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lori:

San Juan's AA terminal can be a little cramped and confusing as it is a small ground-level set of gate counters that queue up for bus rides to the planes on the tarmac. However, since it is an area of the airport dedicated to one airline, passing through it is usually not too troublesome. Also, the walk to go through customs in SJ is longish but easy and there does not seem to be too many issues with long lines. - At least there weren't when I last travelled in June '02.

30 minutes between connecting flights should be OK on the outbound path, 1.5 would be a safe margin on the return home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 8:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh my gosh, terminal 1 at SJU is horrid..LOL..you can get to the terminal from the other gates in about 10 minutes..it is a long walk for someone who has difficulty walking. NO GOOD food on the way or around so bring snacks from the US.

The terminal is the site for departures to Antigua, Grenada, St Kitts etc...it is very colorful. Mags and I usually run into a cousin or friend in the Antigua flight..

Have fun..and again, bring munchies..and oh, it's a hot area..NO AC..

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike and Debbie Chiapetto on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 11:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can anyone tell me what size plane American flies from SJU to BON. We are headed to Bonaire Nov 25th on American. I am wondering how much (what size) carryon they will allow on this flight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 11:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's small..about 40 seats and you cannot bring on much for carry on BUT you can walk to the plane with say a bag on wheels (typical carry on sized bag) and they collect it and put under the cockpit. Then you retrieve it in BON. All very efficient..

If you are claustrophic like me, sit in seats 14-16 (near back door)..and use the bathroom BEFORE you get on the plane. They are pretty small and often nasty...

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 2:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The a/c are ATR-72s; 60 passengers. Carryon in the cabin is limited because the overhead stowage is in netted shelves smaller than the bins in large jets: sized to the a/c, I guess; underseat is also a bit smaller. As Ann says, you can take 'normal' carryon out to the plane and it is stowed in an area between the main cabin and the pilots. I have not used the lavatories but do wonder at Annie's wording '..often nasty..'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 10:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike y Debbie -

If you have some luggage that you absolutely must carry on with you, do as we did and call American and ask them the dimensions of luggage that will fit in the overhead/under seats on the ATR aircraft.

As always, if you are prepared and know in advance your options, stress will not be yours.

I hope you find the waters crystal and the people welcoming in Bonaire...we have.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 9:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've been on that flight about a dozen and a half times over the last 12 months - bathroom has never been nasty (but boy is it cozy!).

For carry ons, I always travel with a computer bag and a roller bag (crew bag). The latter gets gate checked at the plane and returned to me when I deplane. No sweat.

Jake

PS I just got a note that AA is adding a second daily flight between December 19th and January 16th, 2003 - SJU/BON & BON/SJU.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike and Debbie Chiapetto on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 2:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the suggestion to call AA and ask them. I guess that was too simple a solution that I did not think of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 5:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't forget Travelocity, Orbitz, or one of other the other on-line travel services. AA wanted $600 more for the round trip from SoCal than the price I was quoted and paid on Travelocity for next May/June. If you are after a package deal, check out Caradonna Carribean Tours at 800-328-2288. There are plenty on mentions of Caradonna if you do a keyword search on the 'Getting to Bonaire' thread.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration