BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Departure Tax
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-01-01 to 2008-02-29: Departure Tax
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #703) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We left Saturday morning and just wanted to let you know, we paid the departure/security tax as soon as we got to the airport, before getting our boarding passes. No problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2924) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 9:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The current policy is that on Saturdays only, you can buy your departure tax BEFORE you check in. Of course, this is for Sat. only...doesn't make much sense, does it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3220) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

hmmm - that's interesting. We usually purchase our departure taxes as soon as we get there (which is usually on Saturdays) - we'll hope that it is still working like that in a few weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4509) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

YoMO...new rules now. You cannot buy your departure tax until you have your boarding pass in hand, and they staple it to your boarding pass....obviously, with the exception of Saturday mornings, in which you can buy it before you get your boarding pass...

Michael, the only reason I can think of is they have Delta, contiental, KLM, AE, and DAE leaving Saturday morning, so it helps with the line??? Scratching my head here.

Also, YoMO, we tried in January to buy ours earlier in the week...no go:-(

OK, no coffee yet, just re-read your post YoMO..I guess if you lie and say you are leaving (after just arriving) it would work...lol...

I better go get some coffee;)

(Message edited by cyndelee on February 27, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt, with 58 days to go (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #582) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can you pre-buy your departure tax on ANY Saturday, and not just the one when you are departing? I arrive on a Saturday AM Continental flight; it would be great to get the departure tax out of the way three weeks early.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3222) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Me - lie???? Cynde you should know better than that - I would never do something like that just to make it more convenient when (sniff, sniff) it's actually time to leave and we will have to contend with a Saturday departure.

We'll just say we were making a "stop over" on the Delta flight - LOL!

Ok -so maybe I misunderstood. I thought that it meant that you could buy it in advance ON Saturdays only. Who me blond??? nope - just chemically enhanced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4515) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Grunt wrote:

quote:

Can you pre-buy your departure tax on ANY Saturday

Nope:-(

YoMO...I had a wonderful blonde moment in New York with Mare...still chuckle when I think about it:-)

Michael, the whole "it's OK on Saturday" just sounds like a problem all the way around. If you are going to make a rule, stick by it. Why don't they just hire another person at the kiosk and have TWO, yes TWO people working the window...

Ah, gotta love bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3223) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm still going with the pre-purchase on Saturday as soon as we get there routine - ignorance is bliss - LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt, with 58 days to go (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #583) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Me too! The worst thing that can happen is being told "NO, go away". I figure that as long as I'm there at the airport, might as well try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2925) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 3:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was told that officially BIA has not changed the policy but you never know...Yes, on Saturdays there are 17 flights in....ouch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mare (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2136) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 6:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

tee hee Cynde.
I'll never tell.
(too bad I don't have pictures)

What happens in NYC stays in NYC.

Mare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4520) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 6:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mare, yes...we must never speak of this again:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2714) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Careful, folks. If the powers want to let us pay on Saturday (arrival, departure or in between), let it be. Too muchee comment, losee advantage! :–))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john mitchell (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

BTW, there were 2 people working on Sat., Feb. 23--one was accepting cash and one was doing the CC bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4524) on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, I believe the correct spelling is "much comment, lose"...tee hee...

john, good to know they had 2 people at the booth.

I'd still like to know why they did this whole staple the departure stub to the boarding pass. The folks at BAI never did answer my email...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration