BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Planning April Trip to BON
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-01-01 to 2008-02-29: Planning April Trip to BON
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Galaspie (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Thursday, January 3, 2008 - 11:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi folks,

It's been several years since travelling to BON, and while I've spent some time getting caught up, I would love an opinion on best way to get there. I found airfare for 665 on AA, and that seems to be pretty good. it's about 200 cheaper than Continental. Have AA flights been reliable of late? Any advantages (price or reliability-wise) of hitting nearby island and hopping over?

Thanks for any insight. Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #668) on Thursday, January 3, 2008 - 5:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Paul-I don't have any info on AA-we're going Delta, will be on island the first 2 weeks of April. It was very pricey, but it is direct and there are good flight times.

I see you're from Troy-we live in Dexter, just west of Ann Arbor!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Is it summer yet? * aka RosAnne (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2024) on Thursday, January 3, 2008 - 9:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Paul, we have travelled to Bonaire the last 2 April's and have found AA to be the most cost effective way. We did not have a single issue with delays or luggage except a long layover in San Juan, but we are coming from California. With AA if you go through San Juan you will be flying a small turbo prop to Bonaire (I think it seats about 60) so a little less space and strict luggage weight is enforced. Enjoy your trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tad Jones (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Friday, January 4, 2008 - 12:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Paul,

It depends on what time in April you are going, and whether you are going Sat to Sat, which is usually cheaper. Ros Anne is right. AA is usually the cheapest, but the layover in San Juan is a killer! Personally, I HATE spending and entire day getting there and back. O-dark 30 to late at night.

Now that AJ is discontinuing service, and Delta is so proud of their flights, I'm looking at going to Aruba or Curacao, and taking a local puddle jumper from there. If you log on to sidestep.com they search multiple airlines and discounters for the best fares.

I'm just a poor boy, and I've found the best way to plan a trip, is to concentrate on low season. Search airfares, over multiple dates, to find the least expensive. Once you've got the air, book your room. If the airfare is relatively cheap, you're probably going to find a place to stay at a reasonable price as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul G (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Friday, January 4, 2008 - 8:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll do the AA way and try and actually enjoy a few hours in San Juan.

Mary - Given our current weather, I can only imagine how much you're longing to get to Bonaire!!

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Armour (BonaireTalker - Post #78) on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Paul, We just got back from Bonaire and have flown with AA to Bonaire the last 7 years in a row. St. Louis to MIami...Mia to SJU...SJU to Bonaire.
No problems with flights and the cost of ticket is usually $516.00
I just booked another trip for April 2008 with AA and again my ticket was $520
The only problem is sometimes your luggage won't come in until the next evening at 9:30 pm
The plane AA uses from SJU to BON is to small to get all luggage there!
AA needs to get with it and use a larger plane...
Pack a heavy carry-on.
In Feb. 2008 we were lucky....12 in our trip, all luggage made it.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration