BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AJ - service changes afoot?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-01-01 to 2005-05-01: AJ - service changes afoot?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Goodman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #117) on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 6:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Found this interesting link on the AJ website today. There's no date, so I'm not sure when this went into effect:

http://www.airjamaica.com/exec_chairman_message.asp

Also found this listing of aircraft: "Our Fleet consists of:
11 A-320
6 A-321
3 A-340 "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4745) on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 9:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Sue. I wonder what the aircraft numbers were before these numbers you have listed. Is that from the AJ website? I guess some of the changes they are making have already been occurring in the4 Boston, BWI, Houston, etc. routes.

Has anyone been on AJ this week to let us know of any more changes?

Joe and I are scheduled May 28 from Newark into MB and on to Bonaire with a return two weeks later. I'd hate to have one more thing in life to worry about...out of our control, tho. Thanks for the update, Susan. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Israel A. Sanchez (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #163) on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 9:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sue, I remember reading that message in early january. Carole, my wife and I will be flying on Sunday 20 from Newark to MB, and then Bonaire. I've been tracking the departing flights, and they have been leaving pretty much on time, the only exception being the day we had snow. The returning flights are a whole different story. When I purchased the tickets, our flight from MB to EWR was supposed to arrive at 9:40 p.m. Now it's scheduled to arrive at 11:40 p.m. and from what I've been tracking, it's not uncommon for the airline to have been arriving as late as 1:00 am. I'm carrying 3 books with me just in case. Keep your fingers crossed, we'll keep you posted. Coach Izzy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Goodman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #118) on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 11:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Izzy,

You are correct - we had no problem getting to Bonaire on 2/17, but spent 8 hours in MB on the way home. We tookoff MB @ 1:15 & landed at Newark at 4:40am. By the time we got off the plane, cleared customs, etc, we walked in our house between 6-6:30am (I only live 15 minutes from the airport). I would also suggest having some fresh food with you for the layover. All they had in the airport were chips, soda, candy & meat patties. It has taken my system nearly 2 weeks to recover from the patties.

I think this is the number of aircraft they have, it's just that they have quite a few grounded and the maintenance base is Kingston, not MB.

It's very important to check that the US-bound flight makes it in the night before you fly, because that's the plane that will take you to Jamaica. In 2003, I found out at 9pm that the inbound flight was cancelled & was able to get re-routed through Philly.

Sue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Funnell (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 1:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to all on BT - after reading so many posts indicating problems with AJ, I called to verify my flights for the 23rd (yippeee - only a week to go!!). The flight from Boston has been cancelled, and they had re-booked us on an American flight. Because I knew two weeks ahead of time, I was able to call AA and get seats (which AJ wasn't able to do). There are only six seats left on the San Juan - Bonaire flight. If they were to overbook that flight I do believe we might have been spending the first night in the San Juan airport had I not called ahead. At least now I have a confirmation number from American and (technically) have seats on the planes. The bottom line - call and verify ahead of time!

This will be our second trip to Bonaire, and the first for our 14 year old son. The things I have learned from BTers have helped immensely. I can't wait to leave winter behind!

Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1732) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 1:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, Air Jamaica cancelled the Wed. flight from BOS about a month or so ago. You are very lucky to have made the change. Safe trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Stoltzfus (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #549) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 1:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan,
Welcome to BT. We'll be arriving a day ahead of you (the 22nd). Where are you staying? We'll be traveling with our daughter - a freshman in high school. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Funnell (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 2:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda,
We're at the Carib Inn. We had such a fantastic time with them 7 years ago on our first trip that we had to stay there again. Now that our son is a diver, I am hoping to make many more return trips!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Childs (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 2:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just got home last night from Bonaire and AJ is really messing up the flights. Keep checking your flights up to the day of departure. Our flight out of Philly on the 6th was canceled and we were lucky enough to get rebooked via US Air and made the MB connection. Our friends were not so lucky and got routed on AA through San Juan and had a 4 or 5 hour lay over. Coming home was a mess last night. Flight out of Bonaire late by a couple of hours - in MB sat on the runway for an hour and they used a charter flight (Falcon Air) for the plane. I splurged on First Class seats for this trip and guess what - no First Class on Falcon Air. Very small seats and limited service (no booze). Got into Philly at midnight. Guess we were lucky - one poor couple flew out of Curaco to Bonire to MB to Philly (had to spend the night) while trying to get to Atlanta.

Bonaire was great at usual but that may have been my last time on AJ. Going to try flying to Aruba the next time and take Bonaire Express over to Bonaire.

(This post is by Super Cynic's wife - Suzanne)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Childs (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 3:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ahhhh AJ just sent me an automated reply, apparently a Human will get back to me within 96 hours. Glad they didn't over commit themselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (BonaireTalker - Post #78) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 4:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sue Goodman..Sounds like you were on my flight (Montego Bay to Newark on Sat Feb 26)..I didn't get home till 7:00AM & THEN had to snowblow my driveway.. I honestly thought there was going to be some physical altercations between some of the passengers & the AJ personnel. At any rate, I was just so glad that I did not have to spend the next 24-48 hours on Jamaica. AJ has really dropped precipitously in my book!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Ruesch (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 4:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wish we would have known all the problems AJ has been having with flights before we booked our tickets. We do not leave for Bonaire for another 4 weeks so maybe AJ will have some of this straightened out by then (hopefully it will not be worse). Its too bad when people have to go through so much BS with airlines while trying to take a vacation, sort of ruins the whole thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joanie (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 4:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We flew 2/16 AJ EWR to BON and returned 3/2. Trip down was good. Our flight home, was 40 min late out of BON, made the MB, EWR flight with no problem. They did cancel the MB to JFK, and combine them, went to EWR and bused JFK people to New York. They MB to EWR flight was chartered and run by North American Air.
It seems they are chartering planes to meet some of the demand, and doubling up where they can.
We were lucky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Daniels (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It sounds like AJ is a bad idea. Have people had terrible experiences with the AA route via SJU? At least AA is in sound order, unlike AJ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #249) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 7:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Daren -

We used AA DFW-SJU-BON in 2001, 2002 and 2004. All trips were good experiences, even if one flight from SJU-BON was delayed a bit for equipment reasons.

We used to be pained by the very early departure, but once we just included it in our mind set, it has not been a problem. And we do like getting home relatively early in the day.

We can always hope that AA might put on more flights and/or a better schedule and/or jets to pick up AJ's traffic.

Hope this information is of use.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol Eddy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #498) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 7:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have AJ flights booked out of Atlanta on the 26th. We have called and checked a couple of times and were assured everything was still "as scheduled". After reading Sue's post last night, we called AJ again to "double-check". Seems that the AJ flight from Atlanta to MB has been changed to a Delta flight. We are using Delta bonus miles and are actually flying Delta into Atlanta, so we were concerned that out seats were still confirmed. A call to Delta confirmed that they were indeed making that flight for AJ on the 26th - apparently AJ has "contracted" with Delta to provide the plane and crew - all seat assignments etc are supposed to stay the same. The flight to Bonaire is still AJ and at this point in time the flight back from MB to Atlanta on April 2 is still an actual AJ plane. We will be double-triple-quadruple checking before we leave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5396) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 7:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Daren,

I fly AA through SJU whenever I can (the alternative being AA from MIA to Curacao and then hopping over). For me that's working out to be 1-2 times a month. Other than the occasional delay of 30-60 minutes in arriving on Bonaire, I have had no problems with the flight (and that counts for maybe about two dozen flights via SJU in the last 18-24 months or so).

However, we have had friends who have had their SJU-BON flight cancelled, and that did create a mess, but it's not happened to me yet...

If any of you will be in SJU on Friday going to Bonaire, look for me :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #456) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 8:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, here's hoping you did not just jinx yourself on AA!! Charles, AA has added more flights to Bonaire beginning in April. Like all I am watching this closely as we have flown AA, Air Jamaica and USAir to Aruba then BE. All this after also having done the old ALM route from Curacao years ago. In July we are doing AA but next month I am doing Air Jamaica -- chose that route because I am going alone this trip and did not want the long lay-over alone in SJ. Am keeping my fingers crossed that I won't be spending too much time in Jamaica!! Thanks to all for keeping this updated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5397) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 8:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I did knock on wood as I wrote that above ;-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Rein (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 10:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was supposed to be on the AJ JFK to MB on 2/26 which was cancelled 4 days prior to the flight. AJ booked us on a 5am Delta flight from JFK to Atlanta then Atlanta to MB then from MB to BON. The MB to BON flight left 1hr late because the crew was not "legal" because they came in 1 hour late the night before. We were assured the Bonaire flight will be held up for us. (It was because it was the same plane that was being used). All in all the Air Jamaica staff were very accomdating and helpful. The only problem was that we arrived in Bonaire on Saturday 2/26 and my dive gear arrived there on Wednesday March 2. I do think this was Delta's fault in the changeover in Atlanta though even though my other 2 bags made it all the way through. On the way home, on 3/5 The Bonaire to MB flight was fine and so was the MB to JFK which did leave a little late but i think that was due to the fact that they added extra passengers. There was an American Airlines plane earlier that day in which a food truck hit the plane so the plane couldn't fly to JFk so they tried to get as many of those passengers on the AJ flight as possible

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Porter (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #123) on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 7:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan,
You have mail,
Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Childs (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 9:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Daren If you are planning on the AA to SJU and SJU to BON there is a 4 or 5 hour layover in SJU if you fly in on an early morning flight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1535) on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 10:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan T, AJ routed Smack and I through Aruba on American and BonaireExel in October. Just a thought.

Susan P. You have mail also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #457) on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 11:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom, I have been checking weekly with AJ and as of now they assure me the flights are set but I know that can change in a heartbeat. Biggest concern is the trip home as I need to be at work the next morning .... schools frown on teachers not returning from vacation!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Grover (BonaireTalker - Post #61) on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 12:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron,
When are you traveling to Bonaire? 4 weeks puts you in the same approximate time frame as us. We leave from BWI on 4/17.

Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Pflanzer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #151) on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 12:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I found that all the flights through San Juan via American had a 26 hour flight time on them - overnight stay in San Juan. How did you folks get around that?

Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (BonaireTalker - Post #75) on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 12:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just booked AA through SJU for our next trip. AA informed us that they are adding AE flights and will be flying daily to Bonaire during the busy tourist seasons. This is good news. By the way Carl, we arrive in SJU from Miami at 4:20PM and depart at 5:50PM. Check the AA website for flight times, I think you can do better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5400) on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 12:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carl,

Probably because the AE flight's not available on the day you're looking at. After May 1st, the schedule drops back to 3 or 4 flights a week. It's daily for all of April, apparently.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Riggs (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 1:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just wish Delta or US Air would fly into Bonaire. Its a nice place to dive...but heck to get to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benji Beaujon (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 7:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AJ Sold 3 of there planes and dropped several routes including Heathrow and anguilla ( not that it will bother u in any way )Which means that AJ haz 17 Planes now with a few on the ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5965) on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 8:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

for a 13 year old Benji you sure get alot of information!! Whatz up with that??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally and Eva (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #730) on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

He's an AJ pilot perhaps :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Childs (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie; It was at Monte's Divi, but I heard it has been seen around Klein

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration