BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: NY to Bonarie via Kingston
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: NY to Bonarie via Kingston
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike love on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 11:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am flying NY to Bonaire via Kingston (All on Air Jamacia). What worries me is there is only 35 min. to get off the flight from NY, and on to the flight to Bonaire. Has anyone done this transfer?Do I transfer my luggage or does Air Jamaica?
Thanks for any advice,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 12:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike,,,we go from Phili to Montego bay to Bonaire with Aj....it is a quick turn over in flights also...about 25 minutes...but they have waited and our connections have been fine the last two times we chose this route..we are taking this same one in a week so will post update....I believe the baggage goes from Phili to Bonaire....if I remember...but had alot of xanex and martini's to handle my lack of spine in flying flaw....so I could be wrong...I do not remember carting luggage....but that doesnt say much under my "flight condition" if your not going within the next two weeks I will update you on this and ask Steve to keep a breast of this....since I am good for nothing but packing before hand.....I dribble from Phili to Bonaire.....Hope you have a great time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 12:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike, GREAT question and one I posed a few months back. I was concerned as well thinking 25 min. or so was not a legal connection but apparently it is and if the planes are late most here report JA waits for the planes.

When I left to go home Sept. 1, the flight was an hour late thus I barely made my BOS connection. Most people lost theirs and had to overnight. I would rather have an overnight in BON but oh well.

So if there is a blizzard in BOS and the flight cannot get to BOS, I will be stuck in Montego Bay instead of BON..bahhh..

Nite nite

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike love on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 6:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, I feel better hearing that.I called AJ today and they said basically the same thing.
Corection, I ment to say Montego Bay, not Kingston.
By the way, I would not recomend using expedia to book tickets, I spent 3 nights this week on the phone trying to get mistakes they made fixed. It has been like trying to phone the twilight zone. I can almost hear the twilight zone theme song in the back round. Du du du du, du du du du, dom!

Thanks,
mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 6:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike, support your local travel agent..keep them in business and get personalized attention. That way if there is a fare decrease or sked change or any prob, she/he can help.

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 8:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Spoken like the good travel professional that you are, Annie!! Good idea, though. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 9:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, while I no longer do ticketing I do entrust my travel colleague for all my airline tickets. How much of a hastle it is to deal with those silly phone systems that Expedia offers. I tried Expedia several times and could never complete the res. I would go back to my travel colleague and she was able to secure the same rate or better. During this critical economic time again, I say use your local agents..they need the biz and u will have far better service. If you must, shop online and then go to your agent to make the booking.

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 11:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Usually I always book thru my travel agent-- find the lowest fares and the times I want to go and then call her. She does bump the price by $15-$30
depending on what it is-- but everyone has to make a living and there is peace of mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 7:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I also decided to use my travel agent for our upcoming trip, even though I'd got all the info I needed from AA, and knew exactly what I wanted. I figured that if anything was changed, they'd know (they have a system that reviews reservations they've made for any changes on a frequent basis, I understand), and could then get the details to me rather than my having to rely to AA. Cost $25/ticket, but gives me peace of mind. I also decided to go all the way with AA, even though there were alternate routes that were shorter, but would have to change airlines. Reasoning was it would be easier when inevitable changes happen.

I made reservations for LON on 12/25 and already the schedule has changed (Continental). Absolutely nothing is going to be as consistent as I've been used to, I'm afraid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 7:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yahh Josie! I am sure your travel agent is thrilled to have your biz. London for Xmas?? How fun! I stayed at The Browns once..awesome high tea!

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Where's Browns? We generally try to have afternoon tea somewhere, and Harrods is getting a bit boring. We're leaving ROC on Christmas Day (late enough to still have our traditional brunch together) arriving on Boxing Day, and then will come home on January 6. It'll be lovely to spend New Year's Eve with my family --- it's been a Long time...

Then, on Jan 2 will take the Eurostar across to Paris for three days! First trip to France.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 8:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, here are Annie's London FAVES:

Browns for tea (4PM) on Dover and Albermarle Streets in posh Mayfair.

Fish and Chips at Seashell at Lisson Grove (Marylebone Tube stop)

Frappes or tea after shopping at Fortnum and Mason

Tate Gallery

Geale's Seafood at Nottinghill Gate

British Museum

Day trip to Windsor

Shepards Market

Drinks at Claridges

Tea at the Dorchester (a bit stuffy)

Oh and we did the Eurostar to PAR..I got a bit motion sick but LOVED it..

Cheers

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 8:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie: Any MUST DOs for Paris (remember: only three days there!)

I'll take your London list with me. I'm from London, and my father still lives there, but it's amazing how a tourist can find wonderful places that we "locals" don't get to! My sister lives near the Eurostar station in Ashford, so we will be leaving from there. Brothers and sister all live south of London in Kent. Daddy still in Bermondsey. I love it, he now has a new tube station across the road -- so easy to get up to the west end now. Used to have to use the buses and several stops, now a breeze.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mimi greenberg on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 9:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hi josie - Brown's is to tea as Simpson's is to fish. lots of fun in a prim and proper atmosphere with squeaky old wooden floors. I felt like I was in a very posh English boarding school!

If you love rich, thick, dark hot chocolate===do not miss Angelina's Tea Room on the rue du rivoli in Paris. they have African Hot Chocolate to die for. and don't forget their Mont Blanc===pureed chestnut atop a merengue and cloaked in heavy whipped cream. Amazingly sinful. You will feel like you stepped out of the pages of the book, Madeline.
If you love ice cream and haven't tried Berthillion's, you won't believe your taste buds. An ice cream cone can run you as much as $8 u.s.a., but the memory of the experience is priceless. ask the parisians.
One last suggestion --there is an inexpensive cosmetic line called Bourgeouse...my spelling may be off---that is made by Chanel and sells for less than half the price. You can buy it in all the five & ten cent stores thru out France. It is one of the best kept secrets in the cosmetic industry. ask the parisian women. they know and rarely tell unless you ask!
wish i was in Paris right now!
mimi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 10:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mimi..take me with you when you travel. You go girl. I bought some of that cosmetic line. It's a good a find as is the UK Rimmel line found of all places at Walmart! Love cheap deals. I wanted to have an ice cream at Berthillion's I think it was near Notre Dame but it was CLOSED! Bahh..Josie, we stayed near Arc de Triomphe at Hotel Vernet. I used to jog for miles at the crack of dawn. We loved the Rodin and Musee D'Orange..is that right Mimi?? I also loved Luvembourg Gardens and oh, well, the whole city. Everyone was so nice and my high school French came in handy. The only thing I didn't love was the Metro. Not as easy to use as the tube. They do not have those nice red circled signs indicating where the station was.

Anyway, have fun..I am so excited for ya..

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antonio Ferrer on Monday, November 12, 2001 - 5:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Another good option for London is an afternoon boat trip to Greenwich (in Summer, not Xmas). You can get a pic of yourself with one foot each side of the 0° Meridian, and before or after you can visit the Cutty Sark, plus the very interesting Greenwich Museum.
But for tea, don't miss scones with Devon cream and strawberry preserve; for pub hour, try some of the local ales, or Irish stout (Murphy's, Guiness)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration