BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Community Chat: Bush/America Bashing
Bonaire Talk: Community Chat: Archives: Archives 2008: Archives - 2008-11-01 to 2008-11-30: Bush/America Bashing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ric Spratlin (BonaireTalker - Post #80) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 10:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is my 12th year visiting Bonaire and as in the past on occasion the locals love to hate Bush and America. But this year seems to be exceptional in the locals bashing my President and country. Therefore I would like to explain a few facts that the locals do not know or understand. For starters, I or 99% of Americans do not bash your country, since we love to visit it and spend our hard earned money while here. If your country has a socialized government and health care system, that's fine with us. We have a democratic republic system of government and for the most part a capitalistic health care system. We do have government run hospitals that offer "FREE" health care to those who can not or will not pay their bill. Hence, one reason why our health care costs are so high is because the rest of us have to subsidize the cost of those that do not pay. As for our government. We are a democratic republic. There are three branches of our federal government. The Executive (1 President 1 Vice President and numerous Cabinet members), the Legislative (100 Senators & 435 House of Representative) and the Judicial (9 Supreme Court Judges). The President (Bush) "PROPOSES" laws and a budget. The Legislative approves or disapproves what the President "PROPOSES". The Judicial decides if the laws passed are right or wrong and can override the laws. Any member of the Legislative branch can also "PROPOSE" laws and budget matters. All 535 members of the Legislative branch are elected by the people to represent their state. Each state has 2 Senators and for approx. every 700,000 people within each state 1 Representative to the House of Representatives. The 535 members of the Legislative branch make up the Electoral College which elects our President. Hence, why we are the UNITED "STATES" OF AMERICA, not the United People of America. This is the simple version of our system, for more details see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Goverment

Thanks for allowing me to vent. Please keep in mind Bush and America is not the enemy. If anything we are the last bastion of freedom on earth with the power to maintain it for ourselves and any other country that desires to be free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #448) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 11:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ric.

I am afraid that your country gets a bashing mainly due to the numpty that leads it. The fact that he was democratically voted into that position by the public, not once but twice, affords others to have a pop at the general populace.

Being from the UK, I have nothing to crow about. It was bad enough that Georgie boy decided to engage in an illegal war with Iraq but the fact that our own Mr Blair hung onto his coat tails like a scene from Dumb and Dumber is too embarrassing for words.

I have met many people from the USA and like those from other countries there are good, bad and indifferent. One of my good friends is not only an American, he is a Bush supporter!

I am afraid that the legacy of George W is not great. He is a failed business man who has somehow managed to run previously successful businesses into the ground despite his Dad's money. He has engaged in fruitless and needless wars based on spurious information and he has managed to bring not only the US economy to it's knees, but that of the rest of the civilised world. He is indeed an oaf and makes Homer Simpson look like a good proposition.

America will be better without him and so will the world. Let's hope the new guy can change direction and therefore peoples perception of America as a whole.

(Message edited by Bondy on November 8, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Folds (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 11:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A Brit bashing Bush. How funny. If it were not for the US you would be speaking another language and we both know it.
I am excited about the new president. Even though I voted for the "RIGHT" the world will see what a liberal does in office.

Enjoy the ride.

(Message edited by scubabubbles on November 8, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #449) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 11:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron.

I ain't going to publicly stoop to your xenophobic level with a Brits v Yanks debate.

As far as WW2 is concerned, I was under the assumption that it was a combined effort from the Allies. That includes the more significant contribution by the Russian Army who were instrument in the defeat of the German ground troops.

But hey, we won't see those nasty Ruskies on our side in a Hollywood blockbuster will we?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *joe brannan* (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #584) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 12:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If I could make a simple suggestion. Please take this elsewhere. We've all got political opinions and I'm sure we're all right (just ask each and every one of us). I, for one though, come to BT to share a little of what I know about Bonaire, learn from others what they know, and have a little fun. I just don't see any reason for conversation about who's way is right and who's way is wrong politically.
Is this a trip report.....to what planet. Please spare us all further ethnocentric or "don't pick on my opinion or politics" smegma. I'm sure there are plenty of sites on-line where this is welcome
thank you
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Dobson / Den Laman unit F (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #146) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 12:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Moderators; Please keep politics off this Web site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3449) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 12:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ric..I am appalled that you would say that locals bash Americans and love to hate us. Where in the world did you ever get that misguided impression??? True, the vast majority of the world dislikes Bush and the fact that he is responsible for the deaths of 5000 US soldiers and countless Iraquis and the near bankrupting of the US and its partners not withstanding, I have never heard a local say anything bad about Americans. I am assuming when you say locals you are not including the Dutch community but are referring to Antilleans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd Haskell (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #261) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 1:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Some of my best friends are from USA. The heart of the American people is beautiful .
Bush and Cheney do not represent USA to me . I had a hard time getting over how such a warm and caring country re-elected the bush administration. I think we are all in for better days after January's inauguration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (Moderator) (Moderator - Post #41) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 1:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please keep your view on politics to yourself.

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #450) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 1:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael.

Well said. I too have not heard any local (be them Antillean or European) say anything derogatory about the American people.

As previously said, George W does not represent the average American and I hope that will be reflected in the new administration.

Now if Sarah Palin ever takes over, God help us all.............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd Haskell (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #262) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 2:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

DONT EVEN GO THERE !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *joe brannan* (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #585) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

LALALALALALALALA
Spinning aimlessy about with ears covered TIGHT

Thank you Jerry...how's the birdwatching?

cheesernator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kiwi aka Steve (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #941) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 2:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I like ice cream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ModCyn (Moderator - Post #766) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 2:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK Folks, if one more person expresses their political view on this thread it will be closed..period. As Joe and Peter have said, this is NOT for BT. Take your views to a political forum. Too hot of a subject for BT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ****Tink**** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7592) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 2:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I like ice cream too.

I'm sleepy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #451) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 3:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seeing as it is a political thread, it hardly seems worth keeping it open.

However. If you are still in two minds.

Sarah Palin is a mad woman...........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3450) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 3:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I do agree that the politics are better left to the pundits and spinners in the world. However, I felt that defending the locals and setting the record straight was more important than red or blue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Frank (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #713) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 11:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.clearspring.com/widgets/4824f65f50c7cc4b?p=4824f65f2cf900b8&flv=xml_path%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fminimovie.com%252Fpage_partials%252Fget_movie.php%253Ffilm_id%253D128460

Non-partisan (equally offensive to Dems and Repubs).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ric Spratlin (BonaireTalker - Post #82) on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 8:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

By speaking of my experiences while on Bonaire I have been censored and moved to this thread. I am not allowed to discuss my trip to Bonaire under the Trip Reports Section of BonaireTalk? WHY??? Have I offend you? Have I hit a nerve? Is the truth not allowed? This as well as the replies to my original post makes my case better than I could have ever dreamed. You can't handle the truth!!! Keep the blinders on...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ric Spratlin (BonaireTalker - Post #83) on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 8:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The post below was also censored and moved to this thread. I getting a complex about this board. Is it a freedom board or a dictatorship board?

Interesting that my topic of Bush/America Bashing caused it to be taken down. It is part of my experiences on Bonaire. I thought this board was designed to discuss our "trips to Bonaire"? Well I am currently on Bonaire and for the last week have had numerous conversations with locals, mainly Dutch about Bush and America. Its' sad because its' all based on misinformation from our famous CNN. We do have other news outlets that give both sides of the issues. When making your statements of Bush lied, Bush killed 5,000 American soldiers, Bush has ruined the economy of the world. Your missing one little fact. 535 members of congress approved the war. The economy's issues are over 40 years old and were started by the Carter administration and again the 535 members of congress. Simply stated, he and the Democratic party thought and still thinks today that even if you do not have a job or the money to make the payments you were entitled to a house. Foreclosures were the result...

Next up for America. Government controlled health care. We can't wait for it! If its' anything like what they do for us on the issues discussed above, were in deep do-do.

BTW, this is my 12th year here. I love it and the people even if we don't agree on certain issues. I felt the other side was not getting its' views expressed based on my discussions with the locals.

That's all folks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Newsgroup Moderator (Board Administrator - Post #105) on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 9:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ric, We consider a trip report a posting about a trip to Bonaire, your posting was more a lecture about politics. If we think the tread is under a wrong topic, we move it. And yes, we do it democraticly, if more then half of the moderators agree, it's done.

And that is not censorship, but playing by the rules. I don't understand why you first state that your post was sensored and within the same line you say it was moved to this tread.

As a FYI: there are only 2 non-american moderators on board and BTCI is a US company.

As requested before, please keep politics of this board.

enjoy the rest of your trip!

Martin de Weger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Folds (BonaireTalker - Post #55) on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 9:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ric you do not understand how these folks think. Open your mind.

Take into account they have not had to pay the price of liberty and the freedom to travel to Bonaire.
This was given to them by the US
Their thought process is the same as our welfare recipients. They do not want to pay the price but want the joy.

On my first trip to Bonaire I had a young Dutch tell me I sounded American – The War Country.
My reply was short and sweet – Yes the war country that kills the bad guys so you can bring your sorry ass to the island and enjoy your Holiday.

On my second trip to Bonaire we were once again minding our own business enjoying the diving. A couple of Dutch Women rented a house a couple of doors down. The other couple that we went to Bonaire with had the pleasure of visiting with them first. When I went outside the nice Dutch lady said you must be Ron, You Americans have to get over the Gay Marriage Issue, Elect Obama and ease up on telling the world what to do. And she informed me she was Gay and her lady friend was inside.

I looked at this women in disbelief. She had no idea who I was or what side of the fence I lived on. I looked her in her eyes and said Same sex marriages produce nothing. One generation and you are toast. Obama will allow Bonaire to become part of Venezuela. And the best thing you can ever hope for in your relationship is foreplay.

We had a decent week and a half and never spoke about politics again.

Other than a great topic for beer talk It is not important if the Non-Americans do like our President or our country. Unless ACORN registered them they did not get a vote.

Let’s see what they are saying in four years.

Anthony – the Queen would only hope to be like Sarah.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By K I V (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9079) on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 10:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

When I launch Bonaire Talk, from my desktop, I see the following beside my IE icon:
Bonaire Talk: The place to discuss anything and everything about Bonaire!

Politics are a sensitive & personal thing and no views are tolerated here. Heck, often they aren't even tolerated at some dinner tables.
We just celebrated our 15th consecutive year visiting the island. I think all our BON experiences, whether good or bad, should be able to be shared here. Sadly, anything with a political fiber is shredded as it always, always turns hurtful and vicious. I have my scars.

Ron, Ric....you've got mail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ric Spratlin (BonaireTalker - Post #84) on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 10:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Newsgroup Moderator,

You stated my point perfectly.

"I don't understand why you first state that your post was censored and within the same line you say it was moved to this tread."

FYI, by moving it you censored it from the subject matter of "Trip Reports". It was about "My EXPERIENCE while on the island." Sorry it did not fit into your ambiguous social guidelines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie {Moderator} (Moderator - Post #668) on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 11:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ric If you don't like the way that the moderators who take valuable time from their own vacations, and who btw don't get paid 1 guilder or dollar for the time and energy, sometime blood, sweat and tears, that they put into this site, then please take your rantings and ravings elsewhere, there are a few boards that you will be welcome with open arms so you can also get bashed with the bashees. If however you would like to write a "Trip Report " that states how your diving was or how your dinner was or how your travel went then please do so as we all would love to hear about that.. but let's leave the politics out of it for now.. It just isn't the right time in America's long journey to bash anyone... Of course others will see it differently but just by bringing up this topic, you have made things worse all around.. I delcare this topic closed until further notice.Which means until we ALL cool down.. and that isn't easy in Bon today!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark bramblett (*) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #130) on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 11:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/14447/845958
Sorry for the double post Ill take my *

LOL sail on sailor!!! thanks for the laugh Mark no star needed

(Message edited by modfreddie on November 9, 2008)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration