BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Recommended Reading
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2000-01-06 to 2001-03-07: Recommended Reading
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 10:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have just finished reading "A Trip To The Beach" by Melanie and Robert Blanchard. It was one of those books that jumped into my hand as I was on the way out of the bookstore and said "must read now"......and I was not disappointed!

Synopsis: True life tale of Mel and Bob Blanchard selling everything in VT and moving to Anguilla to open a beach front restaurant. A well written story depicting the trials associated with moving to the Carribean and the life and culture of this small island.

I am wondering if there are any "must reads" by locals or expats about our favorite piece of paradise that have not found their way into my backpack? Or perhaps other compelling stories of Carribean island life, diving adventures, or sailing off into the sunset......?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 9:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't Stop the Carnival by Hermoun Wouk
Fiction: A middle age man moves to a Caribbean island to run a small hotel. It explains "island time" and the quirks of island life.

Caribbean by James A. Michener
Historical Fiction of the Caribbean island from the native indian, slavery and colonies to today.
Very thought provoking.

A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle
A couple move to Provence. Culinary delights and great descriptions of the Provence area. Fun local characters and how one has to adjust to the local way of living.

Both of the ones below for ecology and Dr. Earle's great early diving stories.

Sea Change By Sylvia Earle
Autobiographically stories about her experiences with information about how humans have affected the oceans of the world. A call to protect and preserve the oceans. Underwater habitats, ROVs, Submersibles, etc. (Sylvia is currently an "Explorer at Large" with National Geographics.)

Silent Spring by Rachael Carson
A bleak picture of the wreckage humans have wrought on nature. The effects of DDT and other pesticides, the introduction of new species, development and deforestation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deal on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 1:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In the "off into the sunset" category, "Under the Tuscan Sun" and "Bella Tuscany", both by Francis Mayes...sort of an Italian version of "A Year in Provence" (How's THAT for demeaning all of them in one swipe?---definitely not intended!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 6:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Masha Danki! A good start...

I had mentioned before in another thread:
"Fair Winds, Far Places" by Zane Mann, 1970's rendition of leaving life as a corporate executive to embark on a Carribean sailing adventure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lise Dews on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 8:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We need to write a book!

My husband and I did a similar thing as some of the books mentioned above...only it wasn't a move to an Island....we moved to a small town in the mountains....gave up high paying, corporate careers and big city life. We now run a small Inn with cabins. Our family thought we were CRAZY! (We did all this with twins who were 18 months old at the time!). Our town is on "mountain time" and it did take us a while to get used to that. It has been hard work and some VERY lean winters (our off season) But we have never looked back or regreted our decision. We have just finished our 6th year here. But...I will say that everytime we are in the caribbean, we think about selling our property and moving to an Island...so who knows...Our "story" is not done yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 12:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I, too, just finished the Blanchards' "A Trip to the Beach" and recommend it. And "Don't Stop the Carnival" is the true classic. I would recommend the following bokks by Jimmy Buffett: "Tales from Margaritaville", "A Pirate Looks at Fifty", and the novel "Where is Joe Merchant?". "Joe Merchant" is full of wacked out characters, palm trees and conch burgers, and adventure(s). Even non-Parrot Heads will enjoy those books. He's actually a good writer! Characters are reminiscent of those of Carl Hiassen in his tripped out books of people living on the fringe of society in FLA, yet doing just fine, thank you very much! Any other suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 1:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lise,

Where is your Inn? Some of us go up and
down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lise Dews on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are in the Western North Carolina Mountains, about 1 1/2 hours from Asheville...on the boarder of Georgia, South Carolina and Tenn. You can see our place at
http://www.laurelwoodmountaininn.com

I would love it if anyone got this way...be sure to give us a call!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 2:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kate - I'm not sure what a Parrot-Head is, but I think I want to be one!

Lise, Start writing now...a good long, lean winter project! I have mentioned before that my parents live in Crested Butte, CO, my second favorite place to be, the other edge of Paradise! It is MOST DEFINITELY on 'mountain time' although Club Med may have an impact on that......I sure hope not :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 3:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lise,

You surely did fond a place 'off the beaten
track' and 'away from the madding crowd'!! I
gather that is lovely country. I have been as far
west in NC as Mt. Airy and that is nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lise Dews on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 5:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is beautiful. We are at close to 4000 ft. elevation. Most people come here to see all the waterfalls. Lots of hiking, boating, golf etc. We are surrounded by the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise R. Arthurs on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 11:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lise,
I live near Greenville, SC so I'm not too far from you. I would love to come up for a weekend if I can find a dogsitter! How far in advance do you need to make reservations? I could only come on a weekend (after work Friday - Sunday) since I teach school.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration