BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Number of tourists visiting Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2001-03-08 to 2002-10-17: Number of tourists visiting Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 5:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Now that I'm back, I've been doing a bit more research today on the island. A couple of sites state (figures as recent as 2000) that on average around 70.000 tourists visit Bonaire each year, and that's *including* the cruiseships. Could any of the locals comment on this figure, whether it's accurate or not. Is the number expected to rise in the coming years?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 5:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Marc, Welcome back. Nice site you guys have. Is the Zoo Blijdorp??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 5:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Martin, thanks... and yes, these were taken in Blijdorp :-) I will redo the scans soon though, once I get better scanningsoftware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henk Schrijver on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 3:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dag Marc,

Unfortunetely the statistics have decreased. But I don't know what the trend for the coming years will be. Contact Tourism Corporation Bonaire (TCB) if you want the latest figures.
http://www.infobonaire.com

Henk
Former statistic manager TCB.
(Rijswijk zh)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 1:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Around 50,000 over nite tourists. Cruise ship passengers, day trippers are all counted separately. Trend is for a slight dip, but with better airlife, we hope to see a change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 4:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Henk and Michael... any notion on how much cruisers and day trippers there are in a year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 9:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

TCB is due to issue tourism statistics (revised ones) for the first 6 months of 2002 sometime in the next two weeks or so. They released some numbers a few weeks back, but these were apparently quite erroneous due to some sort of software problem, I've been told.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 3:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

LOL! There's work for me in IT on Bonaire after all ;-) Will you think of me and post those (correct) numbers if you come across them? They might come in handy if I want to write a businessplan :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 4:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nevermind, I've found the "Entre Nous" website... I suspect they'll be posting the figures there :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, we will post the corrected figures in Entre Nous when the are confirmed. E mail me re IT. There is a fair amount of potential.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 12:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marc, let's do a "tweemans zaak" I'm working on MCSE and I do sompting with 'puters too :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, I do something with 'puters... (most of the time with a spell checker... :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 3:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

LOL! And you want *me* to get in a business with you? w
Who knows, if there really are opportunities for IT on the island, I might stick with it, maybe on a parttime basis even... but it's not like I'm married to this line of work, I keep all options open :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 4:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, I'm much better in Dutch weet je... :)

I could even start working in a diveshop....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 3:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hmmm... The new issue of Entre Nous has come out, but no new figures... Is TCB skipping them entirely and moving to publish the 2002 figures in January?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Friday, October 4, 2002 - 7:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marc...we don't report the figures as a rule in Entre Nous routinely. The new software is working and when verified statistics are available, there will be a press release. If you need any more details, feel free to e mail me direcly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Friday, October 4, 2002 - 7:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanx Michael... You have my address, feel free to share whatever you can when they become available :) . Does TCB expect any significant increase in the number of tourists coming to Bonaire with the new KLM plans?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Friday, October 4, 2002 - 9:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,

I have no idea what TCB is projecting, but my belief is that the new KLM and BonairExel flights will help make it a lot easier for many people from South America, Europe, the other Caribbean islands, and North America get to and from Bonaire, which in turn should result in an increase in tourism. I think the biggest impact will be Europer and South America. The North American impact will probably be marginal until more than one flight a day can be offered (50 seater jet?), but perhaps competition will spur lower prices from American Airlines and Air Jamaica, which in itself would help improve access to Bonaire.

Jake

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration