BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Tropical Storm 10
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2001-03-08 to 2002-10-17: Tropical Storm 10
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 7:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Batten down the hathes..or better yet heda to Lac Bay to watch loops and aerial freestyle GALORE. They might go up to Cai so maybe a drive out there?

Be safe Bonaire..Jake and ALL report in later if u are online with electricity.

ROPICAL DEPRESSION TEN ADVISORY NUMBER 3
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
5 AM AST SUN SEP 15 2002

..TROPICAL DEPRESSION GETTING BETTER ORGANIZED OVER THE
SOUTHEAST CARIBBEAN SEA...

AT 5 AM AST...0900Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION TEN WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 10.7 NORTH...LONGITUDE 65.1 WEST OR ABOUT
125 MILES...200 KM...EAST OF CARACAS VENEZUELA. THIS IS ALSO ABOUT
235 MILES...380 KM...EAST-SOUTHEAST OF BONAIRE.

THE DEPRESSION IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 21 MPH ...33
KM/HR...AND THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT
24 HOURS. ON THIS TRACK...THE CYCLONE SHOULD PASS CLOSE TO THE
NETHERLANDS ANTILLES ISLANDS OF BONAIRE...CURACAO...AND ARUBA BY
LATE AFTERNOON OR EARLY THIS EVENING. DUE TO UNCERTAINTIES IN THE
INTENSITY FORECAST...IT IS POSSIBLE THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS
MAY BRIEFLY AFFECT THESE ISLANDS IN THE FORM OF STRONG GUSTY WINDS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 30 MPH... 45 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AND
THE DEPRESSION COULD BECOME A TROPICAL STORM LATER TODAY OR BY EARLY
MONDAY.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1009 MB...29.80 INCHES.

REPEATING THE 5 AM AST POSITION...10.7 N... 65.1 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 21 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS... 30 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1009 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER
AT 11 AM AST.

FORECASTER STEWART

Aviso Público:

DEPRESION TROPICAL DIEZ ADVERTENCIA NUMERO 3
SERVICIO NACIONAL DE METEOROLOGIA MIAMI FL
5 AM AST DOMINGO 15 DE SEPTIEMBRE DE 2002

..DEPRESION TROPICAL TORNANDOSE MAYOR ORGANIZADA SOBRE EL SURESTE
DEL MAR CARIBE...

A LAS 5 AM AST...0900Z...EL CENTRO DE LA DEPRESION TROPICAL DIEZ
ESTABA LOCALIZADO CERCA DE LATITUD 10.7 GRADOS NORTE...LONGITUD 65.1
GRADOS OESTE O COMO A 125 MILLAS...200 KM...AL ESTE DE CARACAS
VENEZUELA...O COMO A 235 MILLAS...380 KM...AL ESTE-SURESTE DE
BONAIRE.

LA DEPRESSION SE ESTA MOVIENDO HACIA EL OESTE-NOROESTE A CERCA DE 21
MPH... 33 KM/HR...Y SE ESPERA QUE ESTE MOVIMIENTO CONTINUA DURANTE
LAS PROXIMAS 24 HORAS. CON ESTA TRAYECTORIA...EL CICLON PASARA CERCA
DE LAS ISLAS ANTILLAS DE LAS PAISES BAJOS DE BONAIRE...CURACAO...Y
ARUBA EN LAS HORAS ADVANZADAS DE LA TARDE O TEMPRANO EL ANOCHECER.
DEBIDO A LAS INCERTIDUMBRES DEL PRONOSTICO DE INTENSIDAD...ES
POSIBLE QUE CONDICIONES DE TORMENTA TROPICAL PODRIAN AFECTAR ESTAS
ISLAS PARA PERIODOS BREVES EN LA FORMA DE FUERTES VIENTOS EN RAFAGAS.

LOS VIENTOS MAXIMOS SOSTENIDOS ESTAN EN CERCA DE 30 MPH...45
KM/HR...CON RAFAGAS MAS FUERTES. ALGUN FORTALECIMIENTO ESTA
PRONOSTICADO DURANTE LAS PROXIMAS 24 HORAS...Y LA DEPRESION PODRIA
TORNARSE EN TORMENTA TROPICAL MAS TARDE HOY O TEMPRANO EL LUNES.

LA PRESION CENTRAL MINIMA REPORTADA ES DE 1009 MILIBARAS...29.80
PULGADAS.

REPITIENDO LA POSICION A LAS 5 AM AST...10.7 NORTE...65.1 OESTE.
MOVIMIENTO...HACIA EL OESTE-NOROESTE A CERCA DE 21 MPH. VIENTOS
MAXIMOS SOSTENIDOS...30 MPH. PRESION CENTRAL MINIMA...1009 MB.

LA PROXIMA ADVERTENCIA SERA EMITIDA POR EL CENTRO NACIONAL DE
HURACANES A LAS 11 AM AST.

PRONOSTICADOR STEWART
TRADUCIDO POR WFO SAN JUAN PR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marion Korschilgen on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 9:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie, why do you get all worked up about it. It is a tropical depression! which is just passing by Bonaire. We had a little rain half an hour ago and absolutely no wind.
Relax!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 10:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marion,

I think she just wishes she were there, with good windsurfing! And the US National Hurricane Center is forcasting 25-30 knot winds somewhere in the storm. Sounds more like a good day to dive the 'windward' side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 12:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glad to hear nothing more than rain, our friends are in Aruba this week, I practically promised great weather.Trying to convince them to come to Bonaire next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 12:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chill Annie! Nothing we cant handle or have seen before...They did postpone the windsurfing competition, however, until next week. The rain was a nice break from the boring sunshine and gentle trade winds!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 1:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chill Annie! Nothing we cant handle or have seen before...They did postpone the windsurfing competition, however, until next week. The rain was a nice break from the boring sunshine and gentle trade winds!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 3:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey everyone be nice..I am a windsurfer and get all fired up over wind news..LOL..we have the pre winds of TS Hanna here on Cape Cod..I sailed 4 hours..AHHH..

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 3:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Annie, you must be tired... I want to get on a plane and get to Bon NOW to dive the windward site!!!!

:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 5:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie, I am always nice! Made your favorite string beans for Max and Andre for lunch the other day...we ate them all in your honor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 6:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wahhhhhhhhhhhh..I LOVE those beans...I will email you my arrival date so we can eat that night..

(wink)

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 2:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Everybody raise your hand that thought that "tropical depression" was a let down.

We had rain in the morning but nothing strong. Followed by absolutely no wind for the rest of the day. Not even a drop of rain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde Lee on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 3:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

lol Linda, i noticed yesterday someone posted on another dive talk board how the "ABC" Ilands were getting hit hard...kept looking at the serene pics of the cams and chuckled:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 9:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Quite a downer. We didn't even know anything was expected until about 2:30pm yesterday when a friend showed up for the Thai dinner we were going to cook together - she was all in a tizzy about her neighbor boarding up his house and thinking she should do the same. I looked up the storm on the Internet for her, and it appeared then to be tracking for Bonaire (but still with winds not unlike ones we've seen at regular times - 25-40mph), so she headed back up to get her place storm safe (and yes, I did offer to help, but was told it wouldn't be necessary :-) ). Left us with a nice cheesecake and pound cake, though.

What a dud. Although we did actually hear thunder yesterday morning a couple of times...

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There was one two years ago that went directly over Bonaire (October storm, started with J, I think) and fizzled equally well. THere was about an inch of rain during the day, but no wind whatsoever. THe flooding in Kralendijk was rather impressive (fire department pumping the water out of the road down about half way between Harbor Village and the center of town), but within about 6 hours everything was back to normal.

Glad to hear this one was even more of a dud...

Faith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Faith, we had some winds here thanks to Hurricane Gustav (Wed.) and TS Hanna (Sun.)..wowwsa..windsurfing has been great.

I was in Antigua for Hugo and Gilbert..man, talk about rain....

Annie

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration