BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Price of water on Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2001-03-08 to 2002-10-17: Price of water on Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Sweeney on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 1:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I read somewhere that 1000 gallons costs about Nafl. 75,-. I was also told one pays Nafl 15 for the first four cubes and more than that for more than that.

I'm wondering what your experience has been, that is, how much do you pay each month for water? I have heard the drinking water is pure. Is that true? Or do you buy bottled?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 10:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

All the water from the tap is distilled sea water - so very clean. We all drink tap water. Although in recent years I've seen an increase of bottled water in the stores for the tourists. Many visitors only want to drink bottled water because they are use to traveling to other destinations where it is a necessity like Mexico.

I can't convert the amounts into American measurements but here it is.
For last month, we used 15 square meters. Which costs nafl 92,00 plus 15,00 vastrecht.
We are a family of four. Laundry is sent out rather than done at our house. So this is just showers, dishes and general cleaning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 10:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill,
Water cost can also vary by where you live, if water is delivered to you (some have water delieverd via truck...good way to fill a pool).

The water is EXCELLENT for drinking...no filtering required for taste & odor or anything else.

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 11:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda meant 15 cubic meters. One cubic meter is 1000 liters of water (one ton of water). Also, water is used by kids playing with the hose :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 6:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And 'kids' washing their gear after diving??? :–)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Sweeney on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 8:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you all very much. Now I can get the conversion factor for nafl to $US and estimate a monthly cost, but what in the world is a "vastrecht?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Natasha on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 10:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda:
Do you know if Aquafina is sold on the island? It's my favorite bottled water.. not that I won't drink the tap too.
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Cabus on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 3:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill,

"vastrecht" is a fixed amount you have to pay every month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 9:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Aquafina, I think so..ALL kinds of bottled water. Buy one, drink it and refill all week with pure Bonaire water..ahh..

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration