BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Bonaire Drivers
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2001-03-08 to 2002-10-17: Bonaire Drivers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Schroedel on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 1:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just returned from my 12th trip to Bonaire in as many years. Still great diving and wonderful people. But regrettably, the drivers are increasingly driving too fast, tailgate alot, and are generally much more aggressive than at any time that I can remember. Hi liter cycle jockeys are flying down the roads. Saw a head on collision between two vehicles on narrow road; fortunately no one was seriously injured.
A donkey a week is killed by a car.
Be careful; things have changed on the once tranquil roads of Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ida Christie on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 2:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for reminding us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 5:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Indeed Al, this is something I had noticed (and pointed out), myself in December.

I just don't understand it......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 9:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As far as the faster drivers, it's all a matter of perspective. Seems to me lately that there have been many more slow drivers... :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sherry baker on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 8:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

when barry and i were on bonaire in may, we didnt notice many fast drivers. we enjoyed driving around site seeing the island which is what alot of other folks were also doing. sherry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Schroedel on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jake,
Know it's often a matter of judgment as to what's too fast or too slow. My measurement was this, i.e., posted speed signs I saw indicated 40km/hr or 60 km/hr. Even I was driving 10 to 20 km/hr above these limits, cars were often less than a car length behind me, and on more than one occasion, a motorcycle went around at what I would judge to be well over 100km/hr. We've discovered in Atlanta that really bad things happen when enforcement is lax. *Truly hope* that this type of situation doesn't develop on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mimi greenberg on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 4:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Al - i'm with you 100%. Los Angeles also had problems with reckless drivers until they cracked down on folks driving under the influence.

However, enforcing laws does not seem to be of interest to the moderators of this board and many of its' participants. I made a similar appeal with regard to room thefts, drug dealing and other increasing criminal behavior on Bonaire. All i got in response was a lot of righteous wrath.
Here's hoping your comment will meet with a better outcome on this board and on the roads of Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 5:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Al,

Agreed on the motorcycle drivers - they can be unbelievably reckless here (and loud!), and I also don't particularly care for tailgaters (or tailgating).

Jake (The Lawless One, according to the voice of one anyhow)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 6:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Let's put this in perspective, there are still NO traffic lights on Bonaire, hope they never get one. There are stupid reckless people on the road no matter where you go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 9:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Mimi, This board wouldn't be the same without your caustic remarks. I don't agree with you, but you do it so well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 7:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I do agree that we have our share of errattic drivers but it is not really any worse than it ever was...just more cars. It is tough to get a liscense here and just about as tough to loose it. I have not seen too many speed traps. corney, you said it all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ida Christie on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 2:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I thought she was gone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mimi greenberg on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 4:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ida,
She is not gone. She never left. She is not playing the 'flame' game with Corney, Michael, you or anyone else on this board
One more item.....she got PADI certified on her most recent trip. She made a cross over from HSA to PADI. You can offer her your congratulations, if you are so inclined. She thought you would be happy to know this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 4:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mimi,
Contrats on your PADI conversion..what did you have to do to convert?

As a believer in positive reinforcement...I've found your recent posts to be helpful and informative without cheap-shots lacking solid facts. I hope you keep it up. You have valid perspectives and experiences to share...and they are likely better received when offered without a seasoning of bile!

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 4:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Congratulations on the dive cert. As for the flame game, I was going to let it die but you brought it up. You were the one sending me a personal e-mail accusing me of something I did not do. I will say, you have valid things to share, just share gently please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Schoepflin on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 5:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Goodness Gracious! Be Gracious!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 8:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mimi, pa bien na bo eksito!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mimi greenberg on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 11:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks to those who offered congrats. I will do my very best not to rankle your sensibilities with my future postings. I have always been a substance over style kinda girl, which means pull no punches...take no prisoners.
Some of you may have noted that when guys behave this way, it's considered appropriate. When women behave the same way --- well, you know where i'm going with this one.
Scott- I had to do the written exam & open water skills to get PADI OW. The "cross over" i referenced may be confusing. I crossed over from using my HSA C card to the PADI C card. I really didn't want to go that route. But I had to face the fact that an HSA card is meaningless, if not worse.It scares away dive shops and DM's. What a shame. I'm still the same diver, but with a new coat of paint. Color me PADI.
Michael - I'm sure it was a compliment, because if you can't say something nice, you don't say anything, but--- wha chew sain willis?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kay Powers on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 11:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Congrats to you Mimi! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 12:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mimi,
Just curious...why did you get PADI certified?

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mimi greenberg on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 1:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

kay - thanks.

scott - Do you mean as opposed to NAUI? Or do you mean, why not use HSA?
No one offered NAUI in Bonaire, that I knew about.
HSA certifies many levels of disabled divers... from mild to profound. Many shops & DM's either can't or won't differentiate between the three levels. They assume we are all profoundly disabled, and therefore we must pay a hefty extra fee per dive for a DM buddy, whether we need one or not. Second, our decision making skills are constantly in question. It seems that many DM's equate a physically challenged diver with a mentally challenged one. Therefore, we are treated like children who have little/no ability to think clearly and problem solve. Last, but not least, we are considered a nuisance because we require assistance getting in and out of the water. "Time is money" I was told by a dive shop manager, who sends out the cattle boats twice a day. When you are a PADI diver with a bad back or some other permanent or temporary injury, the DM's are happy to help you out. When you are an HSA diver and you need a hand, you are a financial drain, to be gotten rid of as quickly as possible.
Most HSA divers travel and dive in a group. When they travel alone, they BYO dive buddy, so as to reduce the aforementioned problems.
Perhaps this is more than you wanted to know. But it's probably a good thing to be aware of, if someone you know is disabled and wants to become a diver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 8:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mimi..it said Conagratulations on your success!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mimi greenberg on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 2:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

michael - thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 2:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the info Mimi...very interesting...sounds like it will be nice to not be automatically type-cast.

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mimi greenberg on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 3:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

scott - you betcha.....type-casting is a succinct description of my very long explanation. Dive vacations are way too short to be burdened with preconceived notions of the disabled diver.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration