BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Donkey Sanctuary
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Donkey Sanctuary
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #813) on Saturday, April 2, 2011 - 2:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was flicking through some Trip Advisor reviews on Bonaire. I was very surprised to read this:

'Having been to Bonaire before, we know how little there is to see or do unless you're into some specialized activities, so, after some research, we thought the Donkey Sanctuary would be a nice change of pace on a cruise-ship visit in December.

Bad idea. The lady in the pier-side tourist booth had heard of the sanctuary, wasn't sure where it is, but said you take a taxi to get there. How much? No idea. So we looked for a taxi, but no driver would agree to take us and we could find no island tour which included the place. Finally, a local told us the real problem: the road to the place is so bad that drivers hate to take it.

So, no visit to the Donkey Sanctuary. Once back home, I wrote to them by email, told my story, and suggested they arrange for a shuttle for cruise passengers to increase their volume of visitors.

No reply; not a peep. So I guess they really don't want/need visitors to support their fine efforts. Too bad.'

If this is the case, it is sad that the Donkey Sanctuary is missing out on the cruise ship dollars. Anyone know this to be true?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BEM (BonaireTalker - Post #88) on Saturday, April 2, 2011 - 2:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'll confirm that the road is bad, but we really enjoyed visiting the ezels and spending a few dollars to help them out.

Feeding them was such fun and they don't cover your fingers with saliva (like our Labrador Retriever does), they are very gentle and it seemed like they enjoyed having us feed them (duh)

Our heart went out to one small fellow with a broken leg that could walk, but with a pronounced limp. His leg (below the knee) was permanently bent to the side, but he got more than his share of food from us.

We fed them the food purchased at the front gate - I tasted the little cylinders - not too bad!

If the road was better, I'm sure more people would visit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #312) on Saturday, April 2, 2011 - 2:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Antony, your perceptions are correct: neither the government nor the tourist board support the Donkey Sanctuary with either money or publicity. Marina must raise all her own money to feed and provide vet care for over 425 donkeys. And she has received great resistance from the taxi driver lobby for getting her own van and taking tourists for a visit herself.

Soon, however, the entrance to the donkey sanctuary will be on the road to Sorobon, which is paved, and not the horribly bumpy road next to the airport. I wonder what excuses the taxi drivers will come up with then since they often drive tourists on that road to Lac Bay.

I would suggest you report your experience to the Tourist Board. It is ironic that the Donkey Sanctuary on Bonaire receives publicity all around the world and so when tourists come here and want to see it, they get ignored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Anthony (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #105) on Saturday, April 2, 2011 - 2:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

They say: "The time for weekly car accidents is over." Really?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #245) on Saturday, April 2, 2011 - 10:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We visit the sanctuary almost every trip. Several times I've seen tour busses there, laden with happy cruisers, many buying goodies, and depositing funds in the alms box. I'm rather surprised by two things mentioned by Antony. Obviously the lady at the tour booth needs to know about it. But I'm more surprised that Marina (or someone there) didn't respond to his e-mail. Not good business, eh...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #814) on Sunday, April 3, 2011 - 4:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A mixed response it seems.

Just to be clear, it wasn't me who had this experience, it was a cruise ship visitor who left this review on Trip Advisor.

It's great news that the access is to be improved. We have been on a few occasions & it can be a bit of a challenge.

It's a pity that the Government are not more supportive, if not financially, in spirit. It would be a great idea to have a Donkey Sanctuary tour bus.

I have some great video footage of my Wife disappearing under a sea of donkeys & having to be rescued before they consumed her clothing. Let's hope that the Government can see the benefit of the sanctuary, if not for it's charitable work but as a major tourist attraction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10208) on Sunday, April 3, 2011 - 9:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff...I've wondered if the email address for the sanctuary is correct. I've tried contacting them a few times over the years and have never gotten a response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2868) on Sunday, April 3, 2011 - 9:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

the new sanctuary will be opening soon on the road to sorobon. it's a much more visible location on a smooth(?), paved road. i'm sure that once it opens there will be a lot more visitors to the sanctuary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neptune Nick (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #173) on Monday, April 4, 2011 - 9:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello BT'ers-
My wife and I love going to the sanctuary and feeding the Ezels. Marina and her team are very passionate about the donkey's. We can't wait to go Bonaire in late June and see them again.

Have to agree about the road though, feels like an "E" ticket ride at Disney!!

It's a shame the government doesn't assist in some manner.

Does anyone know when their Sorobon entrance will open up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #537) on Monday, April 4, 2011 - 6:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i really am confused that there was a problem with the donkey sanctuary,,,

marina ... director of the sanctuary is in the park on EVERY cruise ship day with a large booth selling for the sanctuary and right across the street from the north pier ..... strange .. but now you know she is ALWAYS there.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #426) on Wednesday, April 6, 2011 - 4:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I talked to Marina today at her booth for the cruise ships and she said that the new place probably will be open in 3 weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rose Checchio (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Wednesday, April 6, 2011 - 10:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marina had a van that transported people from the cruise ships to the sanctuary, her taxi license was taken from her. She has tried to get it back, and she hasn't been successful. The van was beautiful, with donkey's painted on it. She has received great resistance from the government and the taxi drivers. Her new location is wonderful, and the flamingo are there as well. They will even have some snacks to sell. I hope all her hard work, will finally make life less stressful for her. She really loves those donkey's and so does Marion. Those two women work really hard and are passionate about what they do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #313) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 1:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pietri, Marina must be there at the cruise market to sell items in order to raise funds for feeding and vet care for the donkeys. fyi, .tThe sanctuary is supported only by donations and grants--it receives NO assistance whatsoever from the government, tourist board, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marina melis (BonaireTalker - Post #46) on Saturday, April 9, 2011 - 7:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello BT readers and writers , several of you know me for many years,on rgwe first of april, it was my day that I was born 4-1-1950, and I was working because a cruiseship was in port! do not insult me , but you need to know that my time is limited , having a job for our living, taken care of the donkeys , being on the cruisemarkt severall days during 6 months of cruisetourism, everybody can send an email info@donkeysanctuary.org or donkeyshelp@telbonet.an , it is odd, butit can happen that some emails never reach us, but we are wireless and in a kunuku behind the airport and that can be one of the problems. And my time limited, we have a lot work to do, as every insider knows, I think outsiders must know to , that we are only supported by our animal lovers, no governement who is helping, only causes problems.
So please be awere , all cruiseships in port, I am working in our booth to sell donkeytoys and more , to feed and care for our donkeys.
And because of the lac of help , we are working on the move by ourself with only a couple of hands to do this heavy job! Did anyone ever asked how we manage to do this?

But we are not complaning, the donkeys are happy and we to , and indeed we have so less car accidants, let us be happy and positive , in a couple of weeks our new entrance is open and you all can see how beautyfull it is, and that we have a new tourist attraction on Bonaire, you wil enjoy it ,
thanks for your support , specially people who support us trough Support Bonaire. Org

in name of our donkeys
Marina

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration