BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Business opening on Klein Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Business opening on Klein Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #800) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 1:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was astounded & amazed to see that some idiot is allowing Lilly's Ice Cream & Coffee to start a business on Klein Bonaire.

Klein is the last bastion of paradise left on Bonaire. Not satisfied that Klein (which is supposed to be a heritage site) is trampled to death by idiot cruise ship passengers, they are sticking an ice cream parlour on there! This has to be the thin end of the wedge for what is to follow.

I really can't believe that this was allowed to happen. I am disgusted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Dobson / Den Laman unit F (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #209) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 1:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

April first joke?!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Menno (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #392) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I heard it is going to be a LOVERS one......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17395) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am really really hoping this is not true!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #801) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is a bit early for April Fools, here is the link......http://bonairereporter.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10202) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh no...I hope this is their twisted idea of an early April Fools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #802) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The press release was on March 28th so if it is an April Fool joke, it was three days early. I have tried to ring George at The Reporter to find out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10203) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The opening date is scheduled for April 1. I've sent off a message to the Reporter as well. I'm really hoping this is someone's sick idea of a joke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #803) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeanine.

I too saw the date but if it is a joke, why would decide to play it 3 days early?

I too hope that it is a joke....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6437) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The logistics seem impossible...is there any source for electricity on Klein? I'm going with April Fool...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10204) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know Anthony. I'm sitting here torn between shooting off emails to my contacts at some of the international wildlife organizations and waiting to see if this place really opens (but taking action then would be too late). Someone should be able to see a building on Klein if there is one. If I were on island right now, I would head up Seru Largo and look for myself.

I'm also surprised that the Turtle Conservation people haven't jumped all over this. That kind of makes me think it is a joke - a very, very sick one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10205) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry...that should be Antony.

CB - generators.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6438) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tribs, I thought of that, but....24 hours a day, at the cost of Bonaire's fuel? seems prohibitive...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #804) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I really hope that it is a joke. I guess that the best way to get someone with an April Fool gag is to do it in another month!

If it had appeared on their website tomorrow, it may have got a laugh but by issuing it early gives it some creedence. I would be disappointed in George & Laura if they have done this as a joke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie...........someoneisstillawizeass (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15772) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

George plays an April Fools trick every year...Look back in old issues...... I am sure building or having a concession stand on klein would go against every thing that Bonaire stands for....It could also be a boat that brings over ice cream and soda.. we don't know for sure. but in the mean time I am believeing it is a joke and poor George is probably sorry at this point that he put it in there,.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10206) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

CB...it wouldn't have to be 24 hours a day. I've seen setups like this in other areas. Someone erects a "building" then only stocks it during business hours. They would need to transport supplies daily, but that is nothing considering how close Klein is to Bonaire. If I hadn't stumbled upon these little huts in other countries, I would dismiss it completely - but I have seen them else where on hiking trails, so I know it can be done.

My gut is still saying a very poor choice of an April Fools joke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij -- www.vipdiving.com -- (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #649) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Come on guys...how realistic do you all think it is to have a copy of their store in Kralendijk built between now and April 1st?? April fools jokes don't get much more obvious than this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Menno (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #393) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

poor because you fell for it or poor because you don't like icecream??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10207) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Neither.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #805) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bas it is looking as though you are right.

The concept & the logistics are not impossible. I too have seen similar operations in similar locations using generations & temporary set-ups ...

I wonder if George will be surprising us all again in May...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #930) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I,d say it was an April Fools, joke and it worked perfectly(:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #806) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's a good job that I held off from Emailing the Governor..............Or is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bart Snelder (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #127) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 3:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Antony, when you do mail the governor, tell him Lilly's sucks and that KB should go with Ben & Jerry's.....HA!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6439) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 3:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

April Fool's Jokes are always good ones when you play them, not so much when you receive them, yes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #807) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, although not confirmed, it looks as though George & Laura got me good!

I now have a year to plot my revenge, until then I will be wiping egg (& ice cream) off my face.

At least you all know that I care....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1597) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 4:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ROTFLMAO!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob RE/MAX Bonaire www.bonairehomes.com (BonaireTalker - Post #82) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 4:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I heard they were putting a KFC out on Klein Bonaire too! Oh yeah, and a RE/MAX Office to sell nesting lots to the sea turtles on Klein........................

Come on people, this is George's APRIL 1 edition, as in APRIL FOOLS DAY!

The only reason it is out "early" is that their publish day is Thursday, and it's available on line a couple of days early.

Anthony - Please send an e-mail about this to the Dutch royals as well, since they helped buy Klein.

Some people can be so gullible..................

This made my day.

(Message edited by nauticlue on March 31, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #558) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was hoping to put my "Klein's Best" hot dog stand right next to Lilly's !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail T.*********** (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #5077) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 5:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was thinking what a great business it would be to supply the port-a-potties at $1 per use!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3290) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 6:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The opening date is the key. Considering Bonaire's apparent desire to cater to the PODs I was wondering until I read that. Fortunately for AF jokes there's 'one born every minute'. Well done, G & L! :–)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8788) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 6:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tips hat to George. Perfect prank no harm except our collective hippie tree hugger alter egos having heart attacks.

Now a beer shack could make a killing...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2596) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 12:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I heard it was a topless barista coffee bar...sorry guys, the baristas are actually baristos for us women...heh heh...shute! Oh well...nice to know that we still have a sense of humor...now to plot my April Fool's Plan....I think the best one on BT was years ago when Jake moved the cam from small wall and went on a dive...it was fabulous....

Carry on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #808) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 3:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Note to Bob.

It wasn't in the Reporter as there is no issue this week, it was on the Raw News feed online, that is why I couldn't understand why it was posted 3 days earlier as opposed to today as is the tradition. Our news papers her in the UK are full of silly stories today, George got his in early.

Yep, done up like a kipper. Glad you enjoyed it Robhert, I always knew that you had a sense of humour, I've seen you in your shorts! Lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #499) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 5:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

One of my favorites from the past was the iceberg that was being towed down here to allow it to melt and cool down our summer water temperatures...............and oh, one cannot forget the time when all the divers' bubbles were getting trapped in the Hilma Hooker, causing it to rise off the seafloor and start moving!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #809) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 7:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan.

Even Sean got fooled so that makes me feel a little better.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4322) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 9:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I do remember a Bonaire guide book that was published 10 years ago and reported hot air ballooning on Bonaire. The info was garnered from an April fools edition. When confronted with obvious error, the publisher defended it since the read in the Reporter! I have learned "check and double check your sources. PT Barnum summed it up..there is a sucker born every minute.. I am still holding bank drafts for $1,000,000 and will give them to the first 12 of you who reply...be sure to include your bank info so I can make a direct deposit to your account

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #874) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 9:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, don't worry about the direct deposit, just hold it for me and I'll pick it up. Happy to save you the trouble!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neptune Nick (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #172) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 9:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

What? No consideration of putting Starbucks on Klein Bonaire???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Johnny "Smack" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1899) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 9:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Now if a proposed (and passed) ban of beer on Bon was the prank, I'd be looking pretty gullable right now. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #810) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 9:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Johnny.

If that was the headline, I would already be on Bonaire with my placard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4323) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 1:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

this is the://www.bonairepros.com/blog/bonaire-news/charlie-sheen-to-buy-klein-bonaire-for-bonaire-resort-development/ latest..thanks to Andy Repetto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd H (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #655) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 1:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well done !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17397) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 2:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

HAHAHAHAHA!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2601) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 3:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, thanks for the laugh...lmdaorofloling...

"A spokesman for Sheen reportedly stated the "Sober Valley Dive and Rehab Resort" should be completed in 2012 with a South American inspired design featuring all-Colombian products. Longtime Bonaire dive operator, Wannadive Bonaire, will operate complete diver services at the resort and was reported to be hiring "dive goddesses" to serve as Bonaire guides for unique underwater adventures. In addition, Wannadive will be opening two other retail establishments at the resort, Wannadrink and WannaGethigh. Bart Snelder, co-owner of Wannadive, declined comment, but was heard to say "now maybe we can start having some fun on this pathetic little island". He reportedly shoved a cameraman when asked about the off-menu items at WannaGethigh saying "we’ve got Charlie's back on this one — we're going to put Bonaire on the freakin' map, baby"."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Just little ole me with a (*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6340) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 7:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Forget the Charlie Sheen stuff..but look at the BT2 first threads and it does mention the ice cream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1253) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 8:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nice to see Charlie Sheen AS the joke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij -- www.vipdiving.com -- (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #650) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 9:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How do I get on to BT2???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KIV ~ Kobi in Virginia (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14992) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 10:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is BT2. Everything is different on my end. Hope it's the same for you, Bas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2606) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 11:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, as a mod, I'd love to know how to get to BT2 as well! LOL! All my links and bookmarks are gone....tap tap tap...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2607) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 11:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I guess since I've been laptop less, and really sick for a year, I've been banned. I asked the mods and coowners for the new link...but...nada...zip...zilch...I fell so left out...sniff sniff...lol...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration