BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Is de criminaliteit al afgenomen in Bonaire sinds 2010?
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Is de criminaliteit al afgenomen in Bonaire sinds 2010?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corné de Vries (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 4:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lees een heel rapport dat er tussen 2007 en 2010 flinke criminaliteit was in Bonaire.
Als nieuwe bewoner*alles staat al vast en gaat zo en zo door* vraag ik me af hoe het er nu aan toe gaat. Op de Emigratie Beurs hadden ze mij verteld dat de criminaliteit te verwaarlozen is. Je moet natuurlijk geen donkere steegjes in gaan rond bepaalde uren werd me gezegd.

Het is gewoon een mooi eiland met weinig criminaliteit. Heb begrepen dat de huizen veelal gelijkvloers zijn. Handig voor de inbrekers al je ligt te slapen denk ik dan. Ik wil geen doemdenker zijn en het positief zien.. maar even informeren bij u als buren op het eiland.. kan nooit kwaad …

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #791) on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 5:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Corne.

Hopefully I can put things in some sort of perspective for you. From what I understand (my Dutch is not too good) you have received information at an emigration fair in the Netherlands. With the greatest of respect to all concerned, taking advice on such things as crime from someone who wants to sell you a house is not likely to be totally unbiased,(vreest de Grieken, ook al brengen zij geschenken).

There is crime on Bonaire but unlike Europe & the USA, it is rarely against the person. Muggings, rape, murder etc are extremely rare. However, burglary is disproportionately common, per capita, more people are burgled on Bonaire than in the UK. With unemployment amongst the young being very high, ledigheid is des duivels oorkussen.

As discussed in other posts, there are basically two options for living in the Caribbean. One either surrounds themselves with valuable belongings & lives in a fortress or you can forsake the expensive shackles of Western living, live simply & leave your doors open at anytime.

Een goede dag verder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corné de Vries (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 5:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

First of all thank you fore the responce

Your translation was most amusing... ha-ha I translate the two Dutch sentences so you understand why I am laughing about it lol.

The first one is:vreest de Grieken, ook al brengen zij geschenken it means"fear the Greeks even though they bring gifts LOL:) i dont hope a big cruiseship bring to muche Greek people haha

The second one is a real blaster of laughing: ledigheid is des duivels oorkussen it means"idleness is the devil's ear.. could not resist sharing this with you.

But back to the topic, thank your fore your reaction i realy appreciate that... and you have give me some more good vibes about living on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Anthony (BonaireTalker - Post #90) on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 7:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Corné, one more thing about donkere stegen (hanchi). If there are "stegen" on the island than some one can compare A4 between Amsterdam and The Hage as a very big "steeg". :=)LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corné de Vries (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 7:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

okey... so a Hachi means in Papiamento a small street near a big street... right...
intristing..

again thank your fore your responce sirr

:)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration