BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Drowning Friday on Klein Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Drowning Friday on Klein Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Ruwet (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 11:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know anything about the status of the young man that drowned on Friday? How about his wife and child that were with him? Is it common for an emergency response to take almost 30 minutes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #969) on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 7:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just read a blog of somebody who is working at the hospital. (in think it’s an intern ship)
He mentioned 1 drowning that day on Klein Bonaire and that they tried to reanimate.
He also wrote that the last couple of day 3 divers drowned. He mentioned that divers sometimes do not have a very good fysical condition and that they day of a cardiac arrest.
I left a note on his blog asking for more info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #529) on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 9:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

considering the distance to and from the island that is an incredibly quick response....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10198) on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 9:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was thinking the same thing Pietri.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #970) on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 12:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I received a reply in the blog that the reaction time differs from case to case.
I also agree with Petri that considering the distance and the limited recourses on such a small island, 30 minutes seems not a bad response.
I can imagine that when you are with the snorkeler who needs attention, 30 minutes can feel like hours.

My condolences to the family and friends of the person that drowned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17360) on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 1:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very sad news. If I am understanding this correctly, 4 people drowned in the last week? I am hoping that is not an average week.

My sincere sympathy to all the families.

I agree that given the distance 30 minutes is probably the best time possible. But I do understand when in distress it would seem like such a ridiculous amount of time to wait for help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Marie Dennis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 3:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We lost a diver (not on our boat) at the Divi on 3/17/11. Henry ? From Boston. Found late in the morning dive, face down, mask on but his weight belt, reg and bc were missing. His equipment was found scattered in different areas at 90+ feet. We saw them doing CPR on him on the Divi dock and he was subsequently rushed away in the ambulance. He was overweight, his face was a deep purple color. He did not make it. Very Sad....the weird thing is that he shed his gear. Also, he asked our family to take his picture the night before. He was traveling alone TI Bonaire. He also asked my parents to take his picture with his camera earlier the night before he passed. We met another couple who reported the same thing...taking his picture solo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 8:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

certainly a sad thing loss of life is never easy as an Instructor and full time firefighter I am always evaluating my safety procedures and many times when diving with others evaluate both their health and safety not only for them but my piece of mind lets all review our safety while in and around the water and be less passive while on vacation so we all can go home safe....God bless those we lost

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration