BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Import tax for digital camera?
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Import tax for digital camera?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holdorf (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 3:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Apologies if this is not the correct forum. Please let me know. Currently, I am on vacation in Bonaire for two weeks having just arrived Saturday. I flooded my Nikon D300 this morning and looking for another. I am told there are none on the island for purchase. I would have to buy a used one anyway as they are out of production. There is a company in the US where I can buy a used camera and have it shipped here reasonably quickly. I'm trying to find out what the import/duty tax would be before I do this to find out if it is worthwhile. I feel naked without my camera! Any help would be appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rona (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #111) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 3:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I had to chuckle when I read this. "Reasonably and quickly" are 2 words that I would never use to describe shipping/mailing to Bonaire...especially if I was only going to be on island for 2 weeks.

A friend just received my Christmas card I mailed in November. And the post lady assured me it would be about 10 days tops.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holdorf (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 3:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

LOL! I see your point...however, I'm told by the guy at the photo shop that Fed Ex is quite fast and reliable and I could have it by Friday???

(Message edited by Jamie on March 7, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Schnaak (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 4:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jamie, I'm so sorry to hear about your camera flooding. As a fellow D300 owner, I feel the pain. I'd like to offer up to you the suggestion of renting a point and shoot camera if you feel inclined to take photos. SLR's are not available (as far as I know) for rent on the island.You can count on duty being charged for a camera that is sent down to you...not sure of the rate though. You can also count on not receiving the package in the timely manner promised by the guy at the photo shop. You see, all shipments are routed through Curacao and wait there for customs clearance. Figure on 10 days to 2 weeks for the camera to get in your hands - just in time for your return trip home. The only other alternative is to post a request for someone coming down and have them carry it in for you. BTW, did your lense survive the floodwaters?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6677) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 4:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does Fed Ex swim now? Sorry... just adding my chuckles to the pile. Can you just rent one and then buy one when you return? It may not be the same model but at least you'd have one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holdorf (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 4:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the condolences and the advice. Not really wanting to rent a point and shoot. My dive buddy is using my old D70 and has offered it up, but I feel bad about doing that. If I can't get another 300 somewhere, I guess we'll just share. I know it's not the end of the world, but it's not a pleasant feeling. And no, the 105VR did not survive the flood. It's trashed as well, but we have another as well as several other alternatives. Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6681) on Tuesday, March 8, 2011 - 10:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jamie, I flooded mine two weeks ago in Bonaire on the first dive. I totally feel your pain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie................someoneisawizeass (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15647) on Tuesday, March 8, 2011 - 10:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

NEVER EVER take your camera on your first dive, you are over mulitasking on that dive,no matter how comfortable you are in the water..........I always take the housing for the first dive but leave the camera at home....and just hope that the whale shark doesn't come by...:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1566) on Tuesday, March 8, 2011 - 11:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Import duties are a flat 8%. FedEx is handled by Rocargo (near Warehouse), and their fees for filing the import papers will be around $35. Fedex takes 7-10 business days, and that's choosing the fastest method. Fedex itself would probably cost you around $150. You would never receive anything this week unless it was shipped the end of Feb. ONE time, in nearly 20 years, did I ever receive a Fedex in 5 days (and it was only biz docs). Packages go thru Puerto Rico and Curacao (and Curacao usually causes 3+ days of delay themselves).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (BonaireTalker - Post #100) on Tuesday, March 8, 2011 - 11:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you are absolutely dying to have it, post a question about anyone coming in this weekend from the states, buy the camera online, ship to them.....and place a LOT of trust in them bringing it.

Or...rent one and call it a day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6682) on Tuesday, March 8, 2011 - 11:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You know Freddie, I debated back and forth and felt strongly I should leave it... then I took it. I should listen to that voice, and I should know better than to take it on the first dive! DRAT! I was so excited because I knew we were going to see lionfish and "elf" them, and wanted to get a short video on the phone... did I already say DRAT???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, March 8, 2011 - 12:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jamie, PM sent

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration