BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Bopec on fire
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2010: Archives 07-01-10 to 12-31-10: Bopec on fire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - 1:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

\image

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - 1:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

not the boats but the tanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - 3:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

not getting any better either
at least its not a tanker on the reef

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Ken *** (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #871) on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - 3:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

wow!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lemon Drop aka R.A. (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #16830) on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - 3:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Someone posted it had been hit by lightening. Oh NO!! I hope they get it under control quickly!

(Message edited by caligirl on September 8, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8371) on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - 3:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It looks as if one tank is fully involved, yet they have two fire hoses on a tank a ways away. Very weird, I just hope two tanks are not burning. Here's a GOGGLE view.

BOPEC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Ken *** (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #872) on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - 3:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I hope they have a firefighting preplan for this or you are looking at a potentially major ecological disaster. Godspeed to all the firefighters and responders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I'll always be BOOM here! (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14299) on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - 3:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

prayers that no one was/gets hurt...

thank you John for posting please keep us in the loop!

also, thanks to Roy for posting on FB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Ken *** (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #873) on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - 3:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cecil, If you look closely it seems as thought there is a smaller but visible plume of smoke in the last picture close to where they are hosing the tanks down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - 4:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

seems to be burning out now been going since 11am
secondary smoke is probably steam. at least its is not a tanker on the reef!!
current

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8372) on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - 6:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Still burning.
BOPEC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10133) on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - 7:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So sad on so many levels...please, please keep us updated if you can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Ken *** (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #874) on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - 9:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pic on reporter 2 tanks still burning

http://bonairereporter.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7205) on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - 10:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Damn. This is terrible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (BonaireTalker - Post #80) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 12:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We do not need any more oil related disasters. Someone, stop this madness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rayman (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3765) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 1:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ken, I also hope they have full contingency plans and the resources to get this under control.

midnight it was looking good, just a slight glow

1:25am and looks like the main fire has flared up and is still burning fiercely

(Message edited by kilroy on September 9, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #907) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 2:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

In Dutch news this morning:
2 oil tanks with 100 thousands of barrels of naphtha are lost.
No one was injured.
Fire in one of the tanks is under control.
Fire was caused by lightning.
It is not known what the environmental damage is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij -- www.vipdiving.com -- (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #608) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 2:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just woke up, fire seems totally out of control to me. I am uploading a youtube video and will post a link here soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij -- www.vipdiving.com -- (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #609) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 3:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here a link to the youtube video....might be a few minutes before it is processed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j9vbnNTkTo

(Message edited by bnoij on September 9, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij -- www.vipdiving.com -- (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #610) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 3:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Clickable: BOPEC on fire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JanC (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 3:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have been watching the fire from the Carib Inn in Kralendijk. There is at least two tanks totally in flames. We can see the flames shooting into the air from here which we estimate is 9 miles away, line of site. Normally from here you can not see the tanks due to Klein Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 5:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

\image
\image

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 5:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl (*) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1919) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 5:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

wow that is some scarry ****
do hope they get it put out soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 6:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Quite literally a mushroom cloud now rises above the island..... there is no wind here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 6:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thought this had burned out last night but:

You can see the flames are as high as the hills in the back ground:

and before any one starts in I am a LOOOOOOONG way from this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8374) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 7:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the pictures John. Still burning.

BOPEC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8375) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 7:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here's another thing I do not understand, the new reports that it is two tanks of naphtha are burning, well naphtha is commonly know as white gas and burns very cleanly with little smoke. That is not what I'm seeing in the pictures. This looks like crude oil burning given the height of the flames and the amount of smoke.

???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #447) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 8:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I received a press release from the government this morning, which said, if my translation is correct, that one tank was heavy oil (crude?) and one tank was light oil. It was my understanding that one tank was extinguished within hours yesterday, but the decision was made to allow the second tank to burn off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #448) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 8:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

P.S. There is a press meeting at Bopec this morning, so I'm sure we'll hear more after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #718) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 8:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

As some people know, I have stopped posting on BT but I had to interact in this particular discussion.

This is a potentially devastating event for the island & surrounding marine life. At the moment, as Cecil mentioned, it is Naphtha tanks that are alight. Naphtha is a generic term for a petrochemical mix of a number of ingredients, some of which could be producing black smoke.

According to the latest report from Reuters, the fire is still not under control & there is a possibility that it could spread to other tanks that do contain crude & gasoline.

Our little island has had to contend with a lot of things over recent times, let's hope that this is not the straw that breaks the camels back.

Gods speed to all of those who are risking their lives to contain this disaster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #719) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 8:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan.

Let's hope that we get the truth. What am I saying! When did oil companies ever tell the truth?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #449) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 8:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I believe the press meeting is being conducted by the island government, not Bopec itself. It's being held at Bopec so that press will have the opportunity to take some images.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Just little ole me with a (*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6099) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 9:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pretty scary pictures! Awaiting the press release..thanks Susan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8378) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 9:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Go get the real info, Susan and others.

Here's and interesting read on this type of fire. I was very concerned about the tank collapsing and spreading the fire, this does not seem to be a big concern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2369) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 9:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cecil, thank you for the link! Tank failure has been a concern of mine since this fire started. I hope the storage tanks at BOPEC are of a safe design for this situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #450) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 10:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just fyi, the location has been changed to the Government Offices for reasons of security and safety. So I guess no close images for now.

Cecil, I'm afraid I have a conflicting appointment--so we'll have to depend on our other local press here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #297) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pB3llF_Hng

A view this morning from the water

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #868) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 11:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It seems like the wind is really down. Whether that is good or bad I don't know. I imagine they won"t move any product around until the fire is out. That will probably result in some shortages around the island. Fill your tank up now!
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benji Schaub (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 12:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I guess they'll have to reset their "days without accident" counter at the entrance...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #28548) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 12:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Still burning.
k

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #451) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 12:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mickey, this is not the supply for our island gasoline or diesel services. This facility only does transhipment of petroleum products coming out of Venezuela. So absolutely no need to hurry to fill up the tanks of vehicles!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #299) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 1:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.bonairereporter.com/
the update at noon today states rain is falling, the people living close by are asked to evacuate and the fire is to burn itself out, since all fire extinguishing materials on island have been exhausted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I'll always be BOOM here! (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14302) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 2:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

really sad and unbelievable.... let's just hope that nothing else happens any time soon.
keeping good thoughts for the first responders and local residents.

Thank you to everyone for the updates and info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nancy Klune (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #148) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 2:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How sad.

Does anyone know if they have evacuated anyone from the area? I would think that people that live in the area would run the risk of getting sick from the smoke and fumes.

Renee lives near there IIRC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 2:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #480) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 3:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just so very lame. I live in an tank farm state (NJ) and if built to code one tank could burn down right next to another. Earthen retention dikes are required around each tank for just such events, but thats here. We will only know the true damage once the fire burns out. Thank you to those on island providing information.

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #878) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 5:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFN0924445220100909

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0914450320100909

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg & Lani Muelrath (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 5:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If the rain is bringing soot/pollutants down to earth, is it correct to assume that most of the run-off will end up in the sea?????

From BonaireReporter:

09/9/2010, 12 pm-

"The road to Playa Frans which runs behind the storage facility remains open for the residents of that area. Don Ricks, who lives at Boca Dreufi, just east of BOPEC, told The Reporter, "I just got caught out in the rain. Each rain drop left a gray stain on a white bandage on my hand. The runoff flowing through our yard is black. The water in our toilets, coming from the cistern via the roof, is black. Wherever rain water has run down the walls, it has left gray streaks. This whole end of the island seems covered with a coat of soot."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill LaBarge (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #258) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 6:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am heart sick for the people of Bonaire... on so many levels this is just devastating... I feel like a good friend is in danger.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 7:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am just so thankful they were prepared for something like this:
"since all fire extinguishing materials on island have been exhausted"

For those who understand what a wind reversal is, this is what it looks like with pollutants!!

The implication is what you see falling could up right across the island tonight:

As you can see the winds are very variable tonight and with luck another day will dawn

I do this professionally but thought that these images were too important to share. I know these are now in the public domain but if I am assured in this forum that a significant contribution has been made to BT high quality tifs or jpgs are available for news media etc. You need to let me know here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 7:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I guess what I mean is too important NOT to share. Also there are obviously other images.

This is not exactly the most intuitive interface I have used in my career.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #300) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 7:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

John, thank you for sharing. Do you feel people on the island are prepared for potentially harmful soot raining on them tonight? Anybody alerting them to wear maybe a bandana? Any signs of public communications?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5751) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 7:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Something about the tank beginning to melt in the Bonaire Reporter. Naptha...yuck, yuck yuck: it's the answer to the question, "What's really, really flammable?"...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Barbie"Ruth******Ken's forever love (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4938) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 7:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

John, Thank you for sharing the pictures. It gives a true perspective of what is happening on Bonaire. My heart just falls every time I look at the photos. I trust they are able to get it under control soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Barbie"Ruth******Ken's forever love (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4939) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 7:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill, I think you said it best. I too feel that a friend is in trouble and I can do nothing to help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I'll always be BOOM here! (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14306) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

John thank you again for sharing your photos... you are doing a lot of us a great service.

my heart breaks....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Osha Gray Davidson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 9:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any "bird people" know how the fire is effecting the flamingo population in the lake?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #720) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 5:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Regardless of the reasons of how this disaster started, BOPEC should be closed indefinitely while an INDEPENDANT inspection takes place to ensure that it is up to international specification.

I addition, it should have it's own firefighting contingency. How on earth did they expect Bonaire's lowly fire engine to cope with such an eventuality!

The only thing that PDVSA are concerned about is facing financial penalties from their customers for failure to supply, hence the force majeure clause.

To my understanding, there are four tankers hovering around waiting to dock. BOPEC hope to resume operations within 24 hours!

The Dutch Government need to grow a pair of balls & refuse entry to any tankers until all of the aforementioned procedures are in place.

If Chavez doesn't like it. Screw him! Venezuela has already been ruined through pollution & deforestation. Somebody recently said about Oil Pollution in Venezuela “There's so much pollution in the air now that if it weren't for our lungs there would be no place to put it all.”

Is that to be the fate of Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 6:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This morning less smoke. The flames are just flickering above the tanks. A thin black film rests over everything outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8380) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 7:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks again John for those great pictures they bring another dimension to this catastrophe.

It does look like the wind is back and pushing the cloud east again this morning.

I suspect that this line "since all fire extinguishing materials on island have been exhausted" refers to using up all fire fighting foam. Hello, how about shipping some more in, it's been almost 48 hours now. The Reuters article Brenda posted did say they were going to try and put the fire out today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Osha Gray Davidson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 9:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you John for sharing these pictures. The images are dreadful to see, but they're important for those of us who have only visited your beautiful island to get some idea of what's going on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #880) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 9:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.platts.com/RSSFeedDetailedNews/RSSFeed/HeadlineNews/Oil/6430568/

Why isn't this refinery fire receiving coverage on Intn'l TV news channels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #902) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 9:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is NOT a refinery !
It is and was always storage for Venezuelan oil before shipment - now mostly to China .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #171) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 11:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Knowing how naive this will sound we still wonder if there is any hope of holding the company responsible financially for cleanup( if any is possible?), damage to tourism, health repercussions ( harm to residents with pulmonary disease)?-- I know all about acts of God, accident, yada, yada, but still- the handling of this, not enough foam, slowness to respond, etc!-I have horrible sad images of the beautiful white coral beach at 1000 steps covered with that black film-how do we clean up? Just heartbroken over those images..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #481) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 11:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

From Amigoe last night, looks like the right people on island will be asking questions very soon: http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_77914.php

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #884) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 11:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Regardless of my mistake of word choice, this is a hazardous situation with a huge potential for environmental damage.
Possibly affecting lives in every way.

My point was, if it were made public on Intn'l news, outside help (environmental and health related) for these issues, would be good.

That's my thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #721) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 12:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yucatanpat. Thanks for the link.

It now appears that these incidents may not be linked. What is even more worrying is the final paragraph:

Two incidents within one week
The tank will have to burn out first before one can take any action at Bopec. Expectations were that this would take until late in the afternoon. This afternoon, the fire was worse than yesterday. The two oil tanks are not located next to each other, and caught fire separately. There has never been a fire at Bopec before. This is the second, large incident within one week. There had been an oil leak due to heavy rainfall on Sunday, which caused a considerable layer of oil on the seawater. Elsmarie Beukenboom of Stinapa urgently requests the government to hold an inquiry into Bopec.

I would repeat my earlier request that BOPEC remains closed for business until an independent enquiry has taken place & the place is up to code.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Ken *** (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #879) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 1:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Interesting also, that there was "an oil leak due to heavy rainfall on Sunday, which caused a considerable layer of oil on the seawater" and the first anyone heres about it is when their tanks blow up. No reference anywhere else that I could find. Spill a cup of oil in the ocean around here and it is front page news. (Alright, maybe page 3)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8383) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 1:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well maybe some good news, it looks like the smoke is mostly gone (at least with respect to the amount an hour ago).
No Smoke

Fingers crossed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #172) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 1:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chavez supporters are blogging about how " they" are after him (Chavez) again and pointing to this and the Curacao fire as evidence of this--- will we now be used as fodder for his machinations? What a tightrope the Dutch gov't must be walking.. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #778) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 1:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Reuters reports Venezuelan aircraft put out the fire with foam this morning. Any confirmation?
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/09/10/world/international-us-bonaire-oil.html?_r=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Anthony (BonaireTalker - Post #47) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gisteravond kondigde de gezaghebber aan dat nog een poging zou worden ondernomen om de brand te blussen met schuim uit een blusvliegtuig. Dat is uiteindelijk niet meer gebeurd omdat het einde van de brand in zicht was.
De situatie bij Bopec was gisteravond onder controle, zo liet de gezaghebber weten, en het risico op olielekkage uit de brandende tank was nihil. De bijstand van de marine was niet langer nodig.
http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_77944.php

It was no need to use an aircraft because the situation was under controle. Amigoe.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Osha Gray Davidson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi again. I'm doing a story for OnEarth magazine about the BOPEC fire. If there are Skype users in this group and you'd be willing to do an interview, I'm at osha.davidson - so please contact me. Thanks, Osha Gray Davidson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #722) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 2:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mel.

I may be wrong but that sounds like typical Chavez propaganda. I am sure that the sight of Venezuelan aircraft fighting fire may have been noticed by someone.

Dennis and Patti.

Chavez is a war mongering dictator who has little regard for his own people or the environment of his own country. His only interests are to remain in power & to hold people to ransom with oil. The Dutch need to be flexing their muscles, I have no doubt that they will have plenty of support form other NATO members.

They need to send out the message, clean up your act or shut up shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #173) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 2:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mel-of course we totally agree re Chavez and his gang! Btw, as an oceanographer can you help inform us of your opinion of the effects of the particulate and other fallout from the fire on our precious ocean, our turtles for ex who have to come to the surface( and may inhale that tiny debris)?? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8385) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 2:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I spoke to soon.
More smoke
I guess Mr. Chavez's air drop must have missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8386) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 2:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

oops.
More Smoke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #174) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 2:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Antony-should have directed our Chavez comment to you. We have friends who got out when he arrived on the scene and know how much they lost because of his actions. And you are right, he is destroying their air quality and other environmental issues are at stake under him. Just hate being in the crossfire with him running the show. Hopefully, the Dutch are a sharp group- surely they can manage to disallow his abuse of Bonaire via this company and protect our resources despite his financial hold.. We'll see, I guess..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Moderator - Post #107) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 3:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This thread is about the fire at the BOPEC facility. Please keep it that way and stop making off topic post now.

http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/25/152184.html?1277999963

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric M. "CamMan" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1355) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 3:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So our earthquake machine has been modified to include the lightning strike option now? Very nice. Once the tsunami wave generator is perfected, our environmental disaster weapon will finally make world dominatation possible! Bwaaaahahahahahaha! Chavez, you dork.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #903) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 3:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom, I am afraid Chavez + Bopec fire is the same subject ..... the leak and the fire are just a sign of what is going on at PdVSA in general, just compare it with Punto Fijo or Maracaibo ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #547) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 5:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi!

This picture was made from the sea, in front of Bopec, at 2pm.

Bopec again on fire

Around 11:30am it looked the fire had stopped, but it re-ignited soon after that.
Now, 5:00 pm it is still smoking like hell, but we cannot see flames anymore, which doesn't mean that there are no flames. We are back on shore again.

Terrible, what is happening to our island.

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #548) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 5:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Update 5:30 pm:

Again Bopec is smokeless (near to).
Who knows, the fire is under control?

Oh BTW, we saw some planes circeling around this morning, but these were no fire-extinguishing planes.

Harrie

(Message edited by harmoni on September 10, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 6:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Best photo of the week:

At times today there was both significant and minimal smoke. They are still pumping lots of water on it but I love the implications of this picture!!

Ciao

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8391) on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 10:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That is the most beautiful picture yet John.

Looking at the web cam archive it looks like the final assault was at 5:00. Good job for putting out the fire. That must have been a dirty dangerous job, I'd buy you all a Bright if I was there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #723) on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 6:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The latest news that I can find is: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBkQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reuters.com%2Farticle%2FidUSTRE6893RG20100910&ei=ElKLTOOpBMPd4Aaf_uWbCw&usg=AFQjCNFCAmGnBlD4HzAb3_uHQ3XI4Ea96g

Let's hope that the fire is indeed out & the enquiries that Glenn Thode talks about actually happen.

It is still claimed that Venezuelan aircraft were responsible for extinguishing the fire, I have spoken to several people on island including eminent environmentalists who can't confirm this.

Did anyone witness these planes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 8:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A

The Coast guard plane with the yellow tail was around, also the helicopter. A dutch vessel the A832 stood by throughout most of it.

If the Venezuelan planes showed up they were the new transparent stealth variety. Given the amount of radar that now exists on Curacao and Bonaire the idea of them just popping over unannounced seems to put it mildly a little far fetched.

There are 2 very large tankers off shore be interesting to see how soon they let them in. Fortunately for the island a small one is off loading at Web this am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #221) on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 9:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

One sure way of getting rid of all this is to do away with anything that is oil dependent. Including the airplanes, boats and rental trucks that get you to your favorite vacation destination. Wind power and feet power for a cleaner world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8392) on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 10:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You know I do not buy the story that planes dropped foam on that tank, not unless they used a JDAM foam bomb. Isn't it much more likely they transported the foam to the airport and loaded it on a truck, took it to BOPEC and sprayed it on the tank fire. Dropping it from a plane could also cause splashing not something you want on a liquid fire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #549) on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 10:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The planes that were flying around the fire (friday) did not drop anything on the site.
There was a military plane (around 1pm) (couldn't see from what country) that landed on Flamingo Airport. It could have been (foam?)-supplies that were transported later to Bopec, and finally got the fire under control.

This morning there was again a small column of smoke, no (visible) fire. Now (10:00am) the air is clean again. I understood the Dutch military Police (Marechaussee) blocked the site yesterday-evening for an investigation, also by Dutch specialists.

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #724) on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 10:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The latest from Sean Paton & his team:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeCXYYDoGM4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3231) on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 11:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for posting Antony. According to Sean, Gotomeer took the full brunt of it. As we know this is a popular area for the flamingos. I for one will keep my fingers crossed as to how this will affect them.

Frankly, I suspect Bonaire's government might have made a deal with the devil (literally) in allowing this storage facility on the island. Paradoxical that an island that prides itself on ecology leases some of it's land to Chavez. PLEASE KEEP ON TOPIC VINCE, THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE FIRE NOT THE POLITICS BEHIND IT......

(Message edited by modfreddie on September 11, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie {Moderator} (Moderator - Post #1032) on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 12:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Antony, Your post above is off topic. it is not about THE FIRE. it is purely speculative on your part. It has been removed as being an off topic post..

Please read the posting policies:

quote:

Trolling posts or off-topic posts (hijacking) may be moved, edited or
removed from the threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie... Someoneisawizeass (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14889) on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 11:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Perhaps that should be a separate topic Antony.. please get back to the fire itself as we are trying to keep this on topic...

Bopec on fire

Is the fire still smoldering??? It appears that the tank had some melt down...can any local confirm this???

(Message edited by modfreddie on September 11, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie {Moderator} (Moderator - Post #1034) on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 12:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

please go here for Bopec Facts??
Facts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #731) on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 12:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Freddie.

In answer to your question 'Is the fire out'. I can confirm that thanks to the prompt actions of Mr Chavez, the fire has been out since Thursday.

"The fire is out," reported Glenn Thode, Lieutenant Governor of the island. He added that remaining smoke came from the smoldering remains.

Source: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CCsQqQIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fenglish.eluniversal.com%2F2010%2F09%2F10%2Fen_eco_art_fire-extinguished-at_10A4451331.shtml&ei=RbCLTJn_McKI4QbJjICQCg&usg=AFQjCNGxDbr81-JXUuQbjkC4g6kdL65QGg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Osha Gray Davidson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 6:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here's the article I wrote about the fire. Please contact me if there are errors. Thanks to this list for your help -- and I hope all is well there soon.

http://bit.ly/cLPBUi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7208) on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 6:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.youtube.com/user/forumantilles#p/u/0/JeCXYYDoGM4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7210) on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 11:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.onearth.org/onearth-blog/huge-oil-fire-rages-on-caribbean-island

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #903) on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, that sure shows it plane as day. Thank you for sharing these pics. I hope the pollution is not as bad as we all feared and that Gotomeer is safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phras (BonaireTalker - Post #73) on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 2:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOW!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elaine sculley (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1656) on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 4:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

unbelievable. thank u for pictures. were there any planes involved? (has been indicated they came at night to extinguish fire with foam. seems to me that would have been more dangerous and damaging to surrounding area and ocean.

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee protect our ocean.
es

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KIV ~ Kobi in Virginia (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14513) on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 5:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Holy ! Amazing photos, Roy!

Thanks for sharing....WOW!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #909) on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 6:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOW, amazing and scary pictures.
Firefighters are brave men.
Thank you for sharing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Just little ole me with a (*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6100) on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 9:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amazing...and very very sad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #892) on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 9:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, to coin a phrase....."a picture is worth a thousand words"

Gotta say I think the pic that captured it was the 1 with the fire monster face. 2nd last pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Steichen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 10:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was diving on Karpata with my girlfriend when the fire started. We were just finishing our dive hanging around 25-30 feet and could hear some very loud "thunder"...or at least we thought it was thunder, and we decided to extend our session for a few more minutes in case lighting was in the area. When we surfaced it was raining pretty steady, which was actually was a welcome treat...kinda like a walking dip tank. When we were leaving the site on the road to Rincon we saw two fire trucks passing us back to the oil fields and we assumed it was a just grass fire. When got back to Plaza Resort we saw the mushroom cloud and had now idea that it was actually a lighting strike on one of the tanks. Apparently they only have two fire engines on the island (other than the airport rigs which can't leave unless they close the airport).
If Chavez and the Bonaire government want to house an oil storage farm there then they need to ensure they have proper safety, containment, and emergency response procedures in place if they intend to protect this one of a kind environment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nò cruise barkunan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #177) on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 10:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have a question for John Smith. Why did you add the houses in this photo?

Text description

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MadMan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #234) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 1:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey eddie blizzard a.k.a no-cruise-barcu-nan have you ever been to Bonaire. It seems you don't even know the lay out of the island. Check that out before you start insinuating that someone else, is and/or does like you and is photo-shopping pictures of this event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nò cruise barkunan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #178) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 2:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is so obviously fake. I'm just curious as to why.

These houses would have to be on an island a few hundred yards off the Karpata area.

Nice attempt at humor. I just don't know why it is necessary to attempt to fool the public into thinking the fire was closer to homes and neighborhoods than what really happened.

Anybody?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10135) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 5:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know we have some experts on the board, so please let me know if I am mistaken. I thought a fire like this would require hazmat suits. I didn't see any of the firefighters protected with any type of breathing apparatuses. How dangerous was this for those people?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MadMan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #235) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 6:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Eddie you still haven't answered my question. Have you ever been on Bonaire? Can you judge from where the photo was taken. Do you know what kind of lens the photographer used. Ask some one on the island if the photo is fake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nò cruise barkunan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #180) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 7:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

(Message edited by diver reefer on September 13, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8393) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 8:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The photos are not fake, it's just a long lens. The houses are about 5 miles from BOPEC. Here's a Google view.
Google View

Jeeze you really should not talk out your a$$ and accuse someone of faking it without a lot more evidence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #911) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 8:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't feed the trolls people.
It will only scare away people who offer valuable input to BT.
Just ignore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #253) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 10:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Trolls or morons?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #907) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 10:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Trolls and Chavez supporters. Ignore him and he'll get pi$$ed off and leave us alone. Hear that no cruise???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #483) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 12:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the pic's Rayman, really puts the whole ordeal in perspective. News on the investigation here: http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_78024.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (Moderator) (Moderator - Post #298) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 12:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please play nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dfwtravler (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #204) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 1:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow Roy!!! Thank you so much for posting the amazing photo's. It really puts things into perspective and reminds us all just how vulnerable our diving paradise is.....
Hopefully BOPEC/PDVSA will take full responsibility for clean up and any lingering effect on the wildlife and environment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I'll always be BOOM here! (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14319) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 3:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Truly unbelievable.
Thanks Roy and John Smith for your awesome photos.
Really makes me sad to think of the environmental damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Osha Gray Davidson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 3:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've got another post on the fire, this time for my own blog (The Phoenix Sun), which has an international readership. Thanks John, Bert P. Sean P. and Largu F. for use of pix and video.

http://bit.ly/9uhvep

Cheers, Osha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rayman (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3777) on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 5:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for your Blog posts Osha to try and get the news out to the wide world outside of BT & FB. I must admit the first thing I thought of when I saw the images of the fire on the webcams was to e-mail them to CNN or some other International news agency, but couldn't find any links on their websites.

Oh and to make sure credit goes where it is deserved, I did not take those pics, simply shared them from a FB friend (with his permission), who is on Bonaire. I am still awaiting a reply to see if he is happy for me to mention his name.

Yes Brenda, I do see the Face of the Fire!!!

Jeanine, I'm certainly no specialist as far as firefighting is concerned, but I think as they were out in the open and upwind of the fire, they would have no need for any breathing apparatus. I'm sure they were happy of that too, considering the Bonaire temps and that the heat would have been so intense even within 300m of the fire.

Here's another good picture showing the Soot rain over the 'Washington Park area'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie... Someoneisawizeass (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14909) on Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 11:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

roy YGM

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration