BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Santa tracking
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2000-01-06 to 2001-03-07: Santa tracking
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Domenica Smit-Provost on Friday, December 8, 2000 - 3:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What a great and positive idea...I am certainly game and will be home for Christmas. I do live in Western Canada 2-3 hours behind all of you folks. I could post it right after midnight Christmas Eve, or sometime before or after that. When would we like to start it? Then do you just want a written report of what my Santa visit was like? Or do we want pics as well. I am not near the clever computer buff. Could download the pic to the expert, and have her play with it :-)
Just some thoughts there. Let me know what you think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Friday, December 8, 2000 - 6:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Domenica...I was so busy yakking in my last e-mail I nearly missed you. Thanks for letting me volunteer you! As far as what to report, I think as much or little as we can or are smart enough to do.Pics would certainly be wonderful! Those who cannot do pics will just have to become wordsmiths. Now don't yell at me... I don't think Im smart enough to figger this time zone stuff...and typical central Canadian, I was thinking we might start 7 p.m. EST day of Christmas Eve,in case kids are going to bed early?...But I'm open for all suggestions..Thanks again..I'll be watching...!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Saturday, December 9, 2000 - 2:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lorraine: Thanks for joining in...I noticed you said you could be available early Christmas Eve. I don't think we'llwant to set any times except for the beginning report and that we'll finish by the time Santa has returned to his home. If Domenica starts her report for 5,6,or 7p.m.that day, will that suit your schedule? ..And just a thought, do you think that because you're with the Post Office, you might have a "Santa" letter you could tell us about and let us know whether you saw a package shaped like "that" in his pack.? Or maybe Santa, or Sinterklaas, or whichever one you see might whisper to you whether there's a package for that good girl or boy. Because of course he'll know you made sure he got the letter! I hope this works well.I'm saving all the letters in a Santa file.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Domenica Smit-Provost on Saturday, December 9, 2000 - 2:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think 7:00 p.m for you would be 5:00 p.m. for me. You live in Toronto correct? Can do that for sure! Does anyone have an example of what these sightings read like?
Well that lovely little breeze was send right back here to Alberta filled with snow. We are in the middle of some snow storm!brrrrrrrrrrr
Minues 34 Celcius tomorrow brrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Long John time :-)
Wish it was my wet suit instead.
I am off ...going to look for that Santa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 4:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Domenica...-34C?...Santa's reindeer will need anti-freeze in their hay...not to mention Santa,with whom I'm not totally pleased at the moment. I think he's given me the flu for Christmas..and if that's so, you won't believe what unspeakable things can happen to a guy in a red suit when he's in a strange town!(moaning an groaning go here).Nevertheless, my trusty keyboard and I are getting ready for his big trip. As to your question:You might tell us if its a still night where you are. Maybe the Aurora Borealis will be out to light Santa's path in dancing colours.What were you doing when you heard him? Preparing for your lovely Xmas dinner? What? Or tell what treats you prepared for Santa and his reindeer. Does the Peigan nation have some special tradition or ceremony? We'd enjoy hearing it. Do you have a present you'd like? A special memory? Whatever good stuff you have time to share. BTW,I've asked Lorraine to let us know what start time is best her,so watch for her mail. At least in my mind, geographically, you're northern-most, therefore first.Me next,I think, then to Lorraine in Long Island, over to Robert Deal in Virginia,(I think that's geographically correct).Kelly is the one who made sure we'd remember that heading out from the mainland,Santa leaves the reindeer in the capable hands of his elves and transfers to a ship with the faithful and handy Dark Peters.They call him Sanikola, as many children in Bonaire do. Kelly...will that bridge work for you to see him off to sea (don't let him miss that special gift as he transfers from sleigh to ship..I know you won't).If you can't be available, I'll post it as the secret Santa told me.I maybe assuming a lot just because you asked a question...Everybody who wants to join in...please do...even if we can't expain how or why the good fellow was in Georgia before he got to Boston,the kids will know how he did it. With holly in my heart...and dramamine in my hand,I await any questions,suggestions..whatever!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 12:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I'm a little slow, but I think I've figured out now that you are tracking Santi-Claws from the North Pole to Bonaire.....and perhaps back (Nikki??) I am not sure, but I think he travels to Toronto via the Twin Cities, although he may pass thru on the flipside.....one thing is certain, he will be here at some point:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Domenica Smit-Provost on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 1:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Kerri,
Hope you feel better and yes be glad you don't live here !!!! It is flipping freezing :-)
Could Sanikola and Santa Claus are two different things? The Dutch Sinterklaas with the black Petes arrived on Dec. 5 or 6 depending on the country. That is when it is celebrated. The week before we would put our wooden shoes/shoe by the fire place with hay, carrots, cookies and milk. We would receive gifts like pepernoten, and chocolate letters or marzipan. Santa is something totally seperate from that... to do with Christmas, while Sinterklaas is a seperate celebration, reflecting the generousity of a holy man to the poor. He lived in Spain and arrived with a ship. Apparently he rode a white horse which was able to go on roofs, just like Santa and his reindeer. This Saint Nicolaus had Black Petes for helpers. As children we were threatened that if we were not nice we would be loaded in the sacks in which they carried the gifts to be taken to Spain, faaaaaarrrrr away from our families.
Anyhow I got the picture as far as the report is concerned..I am having a riot with it already...what fun!!
Feel better! Thanks for all the help
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 4:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dara...great news!! I'm a big fan of your postings
and the stylish wit with which you write. My
personal favourites are "The dogs who missed
Santa" and 'The saga of Jake and the Octopus".If
he does train it to do windows,I'd like Thursdays
weekly, please.
So far, we're taking Santa on his way to Bonaire,
but the sky's the limit if we get the suggestions,
and the Santa Patrollers to do it...Geographical,
organizational stuff is welcome..would you go
before or after Bob in Virginia? One thought,
maybe we can work in a mention of a child/city
name (first names only for children whose names we
know...we're still on the web). Welcome aboa-a-r-d
Santa Scout Dara!!Please see message to Domenica
while I try to untangle my
Clauses?...Klauses?..Klaases! Hmmmm-mmmm :-)
OK...a separate message....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 5:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dom: It's obviously too long since I was a child. I did read Ellen's links, but I'm clearly still confused..Sanikola/Sinterklaas has already been in Bonaire on the 5th or 6th...so the red-suited one is/isn't Santa,who turns his elves and reindeer loose in Central Park while he heads across the ocean;in a sleigh/on a white horse/or he keeps his reindeer and picks up Black Peter...who are they waiting for in Bonaire? Or do Santa and Saint Nickalaus divide up the island so all the children get visited?:-) I suppose it depends a bit on who is doing the waiting,too? Can you write me out of my corner? Is there some island insight we need? Anybody been there at X-mas? Does Santa come as he is? It's coal for bad kids...of whom we know none...And isn't there something about oranges for the good kids,Dom? H-E-L---P!Daddy Jake? Mummy Linda?..somebody...anybody...?
I'll have lots of time to work on this..we're expecting 20cm of snow..and you're off the hook for this one, Dom...they say it's a "Colorado Clipper".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 9:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We on Bonaire are just darn lucky to be visited by both Sinterklaas and Santa Claus. Sinterklaas and Black Pete arrive the last weekend of November via boat. December 5 or 6th depending on your nationality is the big day with parties. Chocolate letters and wooden shoes, etc.

Santa does his usual thing on December 24/25th. Rudolph, reindeer, elves, etc. They call him Papa Pasku here as well as Santa Claus. Our Christmas tree is up. And lights are popping up all over Bonaire now. My kids know about the coal in the stocking and oranges too. I don't know how true Antillean families work it. Just like some Texan traditions seemed different from my New England ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Domenica Smit-Provost on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 12:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As Boniare is part of the Durtch Antilles I am presuming that they celebrated Sinterklaas there, their version of it. However as so many non-Bonairian people live on the island, many from the USA I presume they are now awaiting the American version....Santa Claus. These two celebrations are not connected at all. One has to do with Christmas (Santa and the reindeer) and one has to do with the celebration of the birthday of Sinterklaas (Dec.5/6), who on this day brought gifts to the poor. This man was a bishop who was later declared a Saint, hence Saint Nikolaas or Sinterklaas for the Dutch. He celebrated his birthday be bringing gifts. The Black Petes, the sack, the coal, all those stories, the boat, the white horse, all goes with that. Hope that helps. Sinterklaaas should be back in Spain by now :-)
Minus 31 C here...brrrrrrrrrrr.and thanks for letting me of the hook :-)

Oh as far as the oranges go...when I was a kid that is when japaneese Orange season began so we were treated to those. Could very well be Sinterklaas brought oranges from Spain, the orignal one, as that would have been unheard of as a fruit in Holland that for back with the lack of transportation etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deal on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 2:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I'm ready to join in, whenever whoever it is decides to make his trip. I read that Santa functions in a space/time continuum of some sort (this is probably how he is able to do everything in what seems to us to just be one night)---perhaps that is at the base of the Sinterklaas-St. Nicholas-Santa-Pere Noel confusion. Let's face it: we mortals just insist on detailed explanations for that which defies explanation.
At any rate, I will have my binoculars out, and we will be skanning the skies on the evening of the 24th, hoping to spot the sleigh and eight (nine, if you count Rudolph) reindeer.Eyewitnes report to follow...
On Dasher, on Dancer, on Prancer and Vixen....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 2:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, as you have might guessed we're crazy busy at the PO delivering all the letters to Santa and xmas gift's to friends and relatives far away. I like the hussell and bussell of it all. The malls are very busy and crowded too, everyone looking for that special something, yet I've seen many of Santa's elves looking out for the less forutunate at this holiday time, That makes me warm inside, to so see the holiday sprite,that's what it's all about.
Getting our tree this week, we always have a live one, and decorating the house inside and out. 2 more weeks, but who's counting?(WE ARE!)
Kerri, Hope your feeling better, will you give your Email address please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 8:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have a special elf in the PO on LI who makes sure every Letter to Santa is answered, on Santa's special stationary. This elf is continuing a tradition that her mother started and now she took over,3 yrs ago, a very special job indeed. Sometimes other elves pick out a letter and fill their requests. So many good elves working hard to help make a merry holiday for all! I've also seen Angels help out too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By NikiH2 on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 8:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I admit I've been confused by the flow of this conversation and I am also aware that I may be playing an unwitting part in it! If I could figure out what exactly I could do to contribute, I might be able to do it... Sometimes I can blend reality and fantasy, and sometimes my blockhead gets too literal for my own good... I know I could make a report of what may have flown by my house Christmas Eve, if the rain isn't too heavy, and maybe even capture a flicker of an image, but I'm unclear who is the audience and whether timing is important. Are we picturing kids that are going to spend Christmas Eve online looking for postings when there are carols to sing, stockings to hang, parties to attend, and whatever other family traditions to indulge?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 9:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Niki, I'm wondering too, so I went Santa's way.
I do like hearing of goings on else where, kind of fun,breaks up the crazyness of things.Lets me hear of things I might not I hear.If you have time, join in ,share. If not its ok, sometimes I check in and just read a few. keeps me in touch. I cann't figure the tracking thing out but I'm willing. I thought the 2nd grade class might be reading this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 2:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi guys! I'm sorry the creeping lurgies, or whatever I've got has got me off schedule.Thanks for the good wishes.I'll survive..and by tomorrow or the next day,I'll know why that's a good thing.Now, let's see if I remember all the posts...Domenica and Linda..By George I think I've got it;Santa,in a sleigh pulled by Dasher, Dancer et al plus the red-nosed Rudolph. Perfect. And at the risk of being obsessive,but inclusive, I can save the oranges I got from the Black Peters to give Santa's reindeer,right? Lorraine you'll find me at:carefree@interactive.rogers.com I'm glad you're here --since you're available in the early evening only, would it suit your schedule better if we started at 5, 6 or 7 p.m.? I'm suggesting Domenica starts because she is farthest North, therefore closest to Santa as he starts his journey. Nikki,Hi...it's no biggie..just a little fantasy for the kids or grandkids of the people who post here.I thought, spread as we are from Canada to Bonaire,it was a good way for Mummy or Daddy, who spend so much time talking to us,to share something with the kids. When you're 5 or 6 or even more, it's hard to wait for Santa--If you've been around kids you'll know the 'are we there yet?'question...well this is the 'is he coming, has he left yet? answers. Robert has it right..Santa has his own space/time continuum, so timing isn't important..But to keep us going in the right direction (a very general North to South) and tomake sure the kids would see some messages before they got too sleepy,I asked Domenica, as the person farthest north to start us off.I'm the second most northerly, so I'll go second, and finish up if we need a closing posting as Santa gets to Bonaire.It's not meant to be read all at once...just a little 'divertissement' to help get the kids to bed...whether you're having a busy Dc.24th or a quiet one. And because everybody can share Santa,no matter where they live, or what else they believe,even grown-ups.I'm trying not to sound too goofy, but its hard to explain 'visions of sugar plums'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 5:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Domenica Lorraine says she can be available to post at 6p.. EST, 24th...can you accomodate..In a nut shell ISP has been down for hours, company says doing what they can but more snow due in hours,for hours..soI'm checking this site any time it's up and the main computer is finished loading.Use my e-mail address if seems more direct'..leave me yours if you care to...My bro in this city has ame provider butmaybe out of different computer..to backstop me so if the isp is out i can let you know. If it's important enough,maybe I could send through My bro in BC's server..Seems excessive for a Santa message, but mummy alqways said something worth doing is worth doing well.--Mummy lesson 1. Anyway, hope youcan read this, I can't even edit for fear I wont finish..Have time for a little rant?Here goes. What the h...is thundersnow? That's what they say we're having. However, I usually think of thunder as summer thing. ..warm unstable air etc. So you can picture, unprepared as I was, what happened when the Heavens opened and the mother of all rolling thunder blasted out and rolled on and on.. I scraped one of my ShiTzu off the ceiling, and the other could hardly be dragged from undder the dining room table...where, the doggie gods tell them, no thunder ever chases you.However,first I had to get the cat to remove her claws from my leg...onto which she had leaped at the sound of the thunder.Then the guys to whom I'm paying almost the cost of a ticket to Bonaire to clear te snow, didn't. The drugstore couldn't get up the drive with my meds...and then of course the ISP went kerflooie...Ok, end of rant, snow is falling and I want to be sure you get Lorraines message. Thanks for listening..Hope things go well. Pray for a snowless, rainless, windless Dec 24th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 6:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Niki: Most Profound Apologies. No wonder you wondered how you got involved in this....Didn't spot it myself 'til I checked to make sure I hadn't lost anything in my ISP outtage...I Had mentioned your name as someone I hoped would respond to my idea about tracking Santa on his trip to Bonaire,but I forgot to follow the hypothetical with a specific request to you..Compounded by the fact that we then jumped threads, because the other was so long, and then by the time you found us, I guess, we (I) was lost in the Clauses,Klaases etc. No wonder you felt you had been volunteered to do something by someone who hadn't bothered to ask you. Honestly meant no harm. I'm betting that subconsciously it was your "thinking of the future" pic of Santa that reminded me what fun the Santa Patrol always was for kids and grown-ups. That's why you were mentioned. Blame a disorganized mind for the lack of follow-thru...Please accept my apologies....but as long as we're mentioning it your suggestion of seeing Santa et al through the raindrops would be.....I'm pushing it, huh? I'm embarassed,and I'm doing'cute"...So I'll just shut.....up...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 7:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please don't Kerrie, I'm enjoyng it! Masha Danki! for the idea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Domenica Smit-Provost on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 2:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'll start it at 3:30 my time which makes it 5:30 for you guys? Or would you like it earlier? Any time is fine by me after lunch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 3:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dom: Glad I didn't miss you.Okay for me. Over to you Lorraine..if you need to, go after Dom, or else I'll try for 6 or 6:30...once we're strted pauses can stretch to accomodate,but at least the kids and kids at heart will have seen the beginning.
Dom,if we don't speak before Xmas...Peace and Joy to you and yours,and thanks for playing our little game.If ever you need a shoulder to lean on, or maybe a place to overnight if this is on your route to Bonaire, let me know. P.S.Your address on one of your posts really rang the memory chimes...No surprise that our family were major readers, and Peigan Nation..foothills of Alberta, were the stuff of dreams in our books of cowboys, Mounties, cattledrives and Indians and nights under a western moon. The Peigan Nation is part of the Bloods? and the Sarcee? Maybe you can suggest a reading list...I'd like to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 3:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kerri, as you said, it's no biggie. I'm not at all offended by it, in fact, I'm flattered that I may have inspired you in the beginning. Actually, it was the cartoon picture in the Rainbow thread that inspired me! Various reports of sightings as a petit divertissement is a very sweet idea. I can't be sure today if I will be at the computer that evening, but if I am, I will add a sighting. Since Santa is bringing me a new wet suit this year maybe... nah..... We'll see... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 3:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Much appreciated, Niki...and all the best for the holidays...New wet suit? I'm one rum raisin cookie away from needing a wet suit made by the proverbial Ali, of the tentmakers union. Buoyancy is getting hard even to spell..:-)..anybody needing an anchor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 8:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Let me know when you need to slot me in, I'm up early.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Domenica Smit-Provost on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 10:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Kerri, your offer is wonderful, and feels great! We have our Teepee open to any visitors during the month of July and August when we celebrate Peigan Indian Days. The only charge is two true funny stories around the campfire before bedtime in the Teepee. One year we had about 20 people sleeping in the Teepee, some from Germany, England, Holland, Calgary, it was a riot. Some of these were total strangers, but because I speak several language I could here them say things such as what fun it would be to sleep in a Teepee, and how they wished they could have a peek inside. So we invited them. We really enjoyed it, so did they :-)
I appreciate your kindness and offer as I am having a tough, tough week. My grandmother passed away early this week in Holland, and of course it is impossible to go. Her funeral is tomorrow.
As for reading material is it for you or the kids? I did a BASc with a double major:Psych (specializing in areas of Child Development) and Native American Studies. I have tonnes of reading material I can recommend. I can also send you a teacher's information package on the Head Smashed Inn Interpretive Center. It is a very large old Buffalo hunt sight, really interesting as far as life style, culture etc.
The Peigan, or as they really are the North Peigan are a member of the Black Foot Confederacy made up of the Blood (Kanaii), Gleichen (Siksika) South Peigan (Blackfeet) and Sarcee (Tsuutina) if I remember correctly. These 5 Nations all speak the same language, one of 43-44 Aboriginal languages in Alberta. The Blood Nation is the largest reserve in Canada, located between Fort Macleod and Cardston (Near Waterton Glacier Park). The North Peigan (Pikanii)are located between Fort Macleod and Pincher Creek, around the town of Brocket. Prior to the border between the US and Canada the North Peigan and South Peigan were one Nation. Today the Peigan have no troubles travelling across the border or finding employment without the usual documentation.
If you send me your e-mail address I'll forward you a list.
Again a Bonaire Webcam reunion sounds great so we at least get to put faces with all these people. If we can't do it on Bonaire why not somewhere in the US or Cananda?
Anyhow thank you all for sharing your great humor these last few days! It has really helped cheer me up :-)especially as we are headed for yet another snowstorm/blizzard tomorrow, with initial warnings of temps of -34 Celcius, and freezing of skin in less then one minute of exposure. Did I tell you it was cold?
I am done gabbing now :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 10:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Question for R Deal? is there an hour by which your young lady will be in bed and miss the fun? Let us know and we'll adjust times as above. ...Thank you too for playing our game,and from a FYL (Former young Lady) how terrific your young lady is being taught about diving early...I learned swimming about 3 yrs, but it was a lot longer before I knew about diving, not many girls did it, I guess. But your young lady will know the ocean to its deeps, the earth as we manage to preserve it; and maybe will holiday, or work on some as yet unreached star!
Who says the bugs will outlive us....we humans do learn. The very best of the season to you and yours.(Especially from one mermaid to another).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 9:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My regards to you for your loss,Domenica. Wishing you peace this holiday season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deal on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 4:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I want to extend a big thank you to all the friends on this site, who are willing to take a bit of time to make this season special...
Kerri, in answer to your question, Jessica defines the expression "night owl" by example, and will probably be awake all night on the 24th...hence, no concern there.

Changing to a less joyful note, I want also to send my condolences to Domenica. The loss of someone close to us is always a sad event, and I hope that many warm memories leave you only a little room for sorrow.

And again I concur with the idea of a Webcam Reunion...wherever or whenever it may occur. Would LOVE to know who you all are!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 12:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Domenica, very sorry to hear about your grandmother. I know how sad I was when my nan died in England and it was impossible for me to get home. She lived to be 95 and had a grand life, kicking almost to the end! That's what I remember with a smile when I think about her.

We also think very fondly of your neck of the woods. Spent a wonderful vacation exploring Kananaskis, Icefields Parkway and into BC to Yoho etc. Loved Waterton Lakes NP. Head Smashed In Center was fascinating. We love the mountains in the Canadian Rockies --- the very best!!

Not the right time of year for that area, though, so we'll make do with Bonaire in February.

Have a blessed Christmas all... I'm blessed with leaving cold, snowy Rochester, NY to head to Orlando for ten days to spend the holiday with my sister and her two daughters who are heading there from England. I planned to go back to England to be with my family, but I don't mind having to go to Florida (which actually isn't a particularly favorite place of mine, but it's warm) rather than cold, rainy London.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 9:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello again to all of the Santa Scouts! I have been mostly out of commission these past two weeks (distracted by work:-).....

Domenica, my sympathy to you at this time of loss. May a lifetime of happy memories fill the void - those that live in our hearts are never far away.

Kerri, I hope you are feeling well again. The bugs hit me two weeks ago; I think it must be all of the stale air in the Minneapolis "hamster trail" (our downtown skyway system).

Well, I finally checked the map and Minneapolis is a few degrees north of Toronto...so I'm thinking that the doggie and I should have our noses pressed to the window and eyes to the sky round about 4:30 looking for the big guy and his team to pass overhead. Right now we are headed to the sofa with a down comforter and a copy of "The Encyclopedia of Aquatic Life"...there's a minus 40F windchill outside and we want to imagine warm places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 12:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dara:I definitely should know this but are you EST? I'm fine for time, but Dom is two hours west of me, so if she posts at 5 her time, it's 7 pm. my time and 8 on the enchanted Isle.This only matters because Lorraine has to go about 6 pm.EST and we can't have the old gentleman arrive too early. Dom says she can go anytime after lunch so if you're EST than she has to post about 2:30p.m. (you probably do know this..her location is north of Montana)and west of you. Or are you one time zone between the two of us? Could you do 5:30 EST)? So it stretches the time a bit.And Santa will leave the mainland after Virginia (R.Deal) His little one is a "night owl" so time is not a problem there. We should have him off to Bonaire by 9or10 their time......I hope this makes sense, but I fear the worst.Let's see now..I subtract my last dive plus my age times 2 to get my bottom time? .......Tell me if you recommend that book..some #*#& has borrowed? my reef book without my permission (no, I don't want the hand signal for him, I have my own in mind).And I'm glad you're feeing better, I'm still "bugged" . And not helped by temps that are positively tropical today,...well, liveable, but the weather folk are promising it will plummet mid afternoon, Sunday, and that we will not get the mild winters that el Nino and his sister spoiled us with..nothing but snow for TO this year. Yecch!!! Let me know about the time thing..although I feel like your President was talking about me when he said"The people have spoken...now we just have to figure out what they said."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 9:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm flexible about the time guys, anytime around 6 AM to 2pm.Whatever works. I will be checking this site after that for my grand niece & nephews to see Santa's flight. They have a computer and can get this site at their Grandma's:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 11:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm on CST, right between Alberta and Toronto, so 4:30 CST = 5:30 EST = 6:30 Island Time :- )I will watch for Domenica's reported sightig and go from there. I do have a question, though, where does Santa go from Bonaire??? Does he make a swing thru Central America and up the west coast to deliver Niki's new wet suit? Then on up through BC for the final stretch back home to Mama Claus? Are there Santa Scouts willing to report that Santa made it home safely? I'm sure there are cam fans out that way....I just don't know who they are yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 3:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Perfect, D. And if I ever put together an army, you'll be Commander-in-chief! When my brain began to function, I bet myself that you were going to be CST...too bad 2 cents doesn't get me anywhere warm.Since Bonaire was the object of the exercise, and the names you know are all the names I have,it seemed to work out...But if you can drum up more business,cool.Right now, seems the gentleman from Virginia will see him off. PS.Your weather problems,made our newscasts! So what the heck was Mary Tyler Moore smiling about? I know...except for 5 minutes of exteriors, she was in LA.Right? PPS: The Shot to Warm all Divers This Xmas...Two divers from a submersible off the coast of South Africa...spotlighted in a true marine vastness and shot from above and slightly to the rear, so we could see below them,in the very blue depths they pointed to..a living breathing coelacanth at rest in its sea cave. Totally mind-blowing! Hope its on Discovery or something so we see more. And may the world's reefs get a little Christmas miracle, too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 8:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Everyone please post to the new "Santa Tracking..." thread while I move some messages from here to there. Ho ho ho.

Santa's Helper Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 8:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Okay. All set. Tracking messages are in the new topic, in chronological order!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Jake

PS Our kids are dying to have Santa Claus come, but we've told them that he waits until the kids are asleep before he shows up - what a conundrum for the poor dears!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deal on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 9:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry...I was typing while your message was being posted...didn't see it in time.
(You can simply delete this apology instead of leaving it on the board)
Merry Christmas!...and many thanks to all of Santa's helpers in Bonaire and everywhere!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration