BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Bonaire Referendum blocked by Lt. Gov.Thode
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2010: Archives 01-01-10 to 06-30-10: Bonaire Referendum blocked by Lt. Gov.Thode
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Burke (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Tuesday, February 2, 2010 - 8:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Bonaire Reporter posted today that Lt. Gov. Glenn Thode has blocked the referendum as defined by the Island Council last week.
It looks like things are starting to heat up.
Here's the link (http://bonairereporter.com/) which was posted the day after the current edition of The Bonaire Reporter was posted online.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #424) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 2:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here we go....thanks for the post!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2780) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 7:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well it appears the rationale for blocking this was on the issue of sufferage. This may be a good thing if it expands the criteria for qualified voters to include those newer residents from Holland. Basically though we don't yet have enough information as to how this will eventually "play out" since a ruling is required from the governor.

And to use Patrick's phrase (lifted from an old Temps tune if I recollect correctly) "and the band played on". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #357) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 9:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

if ruling has to come from the Governor of the
Antilles,(according to the Reporter news bulletin) that then would be Fritz Goederag (sp.?)in Curacao. He is from bonaire and served here as the LT. Governor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Zavon (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #104) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 12:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A bit more detail in the Amigoe:

Referendum news

(Message edited by bpzdiver on February 3, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #248) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 1:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Governor Thode for preventing Bonaire from looking like Mississipi in the 1960s!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #425) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 2:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thought someone might catch that Vince, and unfortunately so appropriate right now, so for Bonaire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_aahkIdEI

Just a great song from a true show band!
Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Ford (BonaireTalker - Post #73) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 4:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pauline,

Your gratuitous bashing of the south is getting tiresome.

I thought at first it was a typo, but can only blame it on ignorance after multiple occurrences:

It's "Mississippi", not "Mississipi".

And as a preventative measure, it's "Alabama", not "Alerbamer" and "Louisiana", not "Lousiana".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #249) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 6:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brad, sorry for the typos, but it is not bashing; it is history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Ford (BonaireTalker - Post #75) on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 7:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

To you it's "history". I lived it, and continue living it today.

Your pejorative tone is offensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian ******* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4689) on Thursday, February 4, 2010 - 4:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow Brad you sound like a well balanced chap with a chip on both shoulders, please take this in a approbative way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor Hibdige, Lac Bay Villa (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #176) on Thursday, February 4, 2010 - 4:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linguistics should have its own thread. But nice one Brian.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ton Bakker (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, February 4, 2010 - 5:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amen to mr. Thode !!!Let's hope not to much delay with the answer from mr. Goedgedrag. Time is short.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #250) on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 4:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mr. Goedgedrag has upheld Thode's decision and halted the referendum! see www.bonairereporter.com for details.

Maybe now the transition can get underway and money for sewage treatment and other infrastructure problems can be allocated. Hopefully the Island Council will not keep trying to finagle ways of disenfranchising more voters in order to advance the self-interests of a few.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2808) on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 6:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pauline: I was just on their site & don't see anything new. To my understanding the issue from Gov Thoede had to do with the restrictive language as to who was eligible to vote in the referendum. Gov Goedgedrag than concurred with this. So to my knowledge:
1.it still needs to be decided who is eligible to vote; ie will it be more inclusive and include the recent Dutch arrivals.
2. Once #1 is decided, a date has to now be scheduled for the island referendum.
Perhaps those on island who are more familiar with the local politics can comment on this in case I have this wrong.. But it appears (at least to me) that nothing really has been decided.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #375) on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 8:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pauline is correct in that the governor has cancelled any upcoming referendum, upholding our Lt. Governor's decision. I guess we all wait to see what the next step will be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2812) on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 11:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Susan for the clarification. So if the upcoming referendum has been canceled, I wonder if they will go directly to integration as was initially agreed upon with the Green party. Why am I not surprised with the "twists & turns" of local events.
Hope to CU in a couple of weeks!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration