BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Police response?
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2010: Archives 01-01-10 to 06-30-10: Police response?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil the Bee (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #125) on Friday, January 1, 2010 - 9:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

On Dec 30th, well 3:00 in morning of 31st, I tried calling the police on 911 to see if they could do anything about the fireworks that were being set off just outside our house (and for a good distance around). I particularly wanted to try to stop the people who were throwing very large explosive devices into the road and possibly at neighbouring properties.
Unfortunately the emergency line was constantly busy. After about half an hour of busy signal I went to the police station to ask directly if anything could be done.
I now know that from 27th Dec to 2nd January, anyone can let off fireworks wherever and whenever they like. There are no restrictions whatsoever, except that I was told later that on January 1st, they must stop at midnight -we'll see if that happens!
The real concern though is the emergency number being busy for that length of time - I checked later and at 4:30am it was still busy. I don't suppose it was faulty or something??? - very worrying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine aka Jah-neen (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9365) on Friday, January 1, 2010 - 10:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Phil...I had to use the 911 number a while back and it just rang and rang and rang. I fortunately found an off duty police officer at the beach that was able to help me. I'll see if I can find the post from when this happened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine aka Jah-neen (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9366) on Friday, January 1, 2010 - 10:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here it is...

http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/27/364369.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lisa z (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #314) on Friday, January 1, 2010 - 11:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can understand that Bonaire is small, and maybe their 911 system is not as technologically evolved as other places, but for the number to be busy for than length of time is very disturbing. Either the system is broken, or someone has taken the phone off the hook. Both scenarios are not good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By silvia taurer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #198) on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 7:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

very disturbing report Phil! did someone finally help you while you directly went to the police station? I would not be surprised if they had their whole police staff out and about the island to prevent any damage. Back in europe it has unfortunately become quite a tradition to vandalize with fireworks rather than celebrating the new year! During NYE in Paris they burned over 1137 cars, in Rotterdam they arrested over 100 people for vandalism and street fights, also loads of accidents while handling fireworks. I celebrated last year on Bonaire, it went on for days, I was not aware of any accidents or vandalism though, except my neighbor shot one of the big flower pots of his wife into pieces. she was not amused...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4042) on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 8:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maggie and her friend spotted a fire outside the divi tent at the rotary..they called the police but no one answered. As far as the fireworks not to be rude but get used to it..my dogs suffer soo..I hate them...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine aka Jah-neen (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9367) on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 10:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Silvia...I'm assuming you meant to post shot the flower pot with a fire cracker? Or did you mean gun? I only ask because I thought guns were illegal on the island. Not trying to stir up a debate, just obtain clarification on what made the shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By silvia taurer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #200) on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 10:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeanine - am sorry, of course I meant my neighbor shot the flower pot accidentally with a fire cracker. So no gun, no.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By silvia taurer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #201) on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 11:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

ann, my bonaire dog who lives now with me here, never got used to the fireworks - same drama every year - however this year I got her some dog valium from the vet, that helped to slow down her fearful reactions but not the fear itself. I do understand you, same experience here, its so sad to see them suffer and absolutely terrified.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine aka Jah-neen (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9369) on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Silvia! I really do appreciate the clarification. It is not uncommon for people to shoot off guns here in the States, so I just wanted to be certain. My neighbors this year invested in heavy duty fireworks. The explosions were strong enough to rock the house. And just think, I live in a state that prohibits fireworks. I had cats under the bed all night long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By silvia taurer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #202) on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 11:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeanine, seriously?!? Some shoot off guns during NYE in the US? Do I understand this correctly?
Well even though the papers reported that here in europe people did invest at least 45 Euro per person in fireworks, comparing it to 2 years back - it was definitely more solemn and the noise endurance way shorter - I guess the youngsters invested to not shoot just fireworks but aim it at as well. Sad but true.
for my part, I did not invest any money into shooting anything, a terrified dog and a very fireworks interested little lad next to me, I decided to start 2010 a tad more serious. and that is what I wish all of you, a healthy and prosperous 2010.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil the Bee (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #126) on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 11:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sylvia. yes I eventually got to see a real person at the police station. Looks as though I woke him up.
The only help he gave was to point out that they couldn't do anything about it. I did notice that during the 10 minutes or so that I waited at the station, there was a red light on the phone indicating a line in use. That stayed on solidly, even when the officer came out to speak to me, so either it was one long phone call or the phone was accidentally not reseated properly!
I checked at the prosecutor's office on Friday. it's true - the law is that anyone can let off any fireworks, anywhere they like all night from December 27th, but they must stop by midnight on January 1st. They can still let them off during the day on January 2nd (as they are in fact still doing)
So, even if the police were interested there is no law to back it up.
We sympathise with anyone who has pets. We spent the time around midnight sitting in the (relatively)quietest room we have, talking to our 4 cats. It seems to reassure them to know that we aren't worried by the noise, but Friday they hardly went outside the house, and ran back at the slightest noise. Today they seem normal, although the very big bangs that still happen are still disturbing them.
I did notice that the local dogs were not barking on NYE. It seems as though they all take their dogs to a kunuku until the next day, so they can let off all this noise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1202) on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 11:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just called 717-8000 and spoke to an officer-he said that night there was a big accident, so it's possible 911 was busy. I heard him ask other officers there in the office with him--they say the 911 number is working. Of course 911 should always work, but if not, call 717-8000 if 911 doesn't answer.

Last Sunday night, after passing a car/scooter accident which had obviously just happened (no one was hurt-they were all jumping up and down arguing in the street), I called the 8000 number. The police answered after 1 ring.

Personally, I would not use the 911 emergency line to call about anything but an emergency. I love the fireworks at midnight, and the planned million-shot pagadas, but loathe the days of random 'bombs' (the big bang ones are called "Osamas"). I'm just glad they've limited fireworks to the Dec 27- Jan 2 time frame. When I first moved here, there was no limit--they went off for months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine aka Jah-neen (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9371) on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 11:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes Silvia. Many police commissioners make formal statements about how people should not shoot their guns into the air because when the bullet comes back down, it could hit someone. Don't worry though, it is not "regular" thing. However it does happen enough for the authorities to try to prevent it through public announcements.

Osamas...those are what my neighbors were shooting off. We are guessing they were quarter sticks of dynamite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By silvia taurer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #203) on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 11:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

oh dear oh dear, lets get it over with quickly - for everyone who loves his dogs and kitties. thanks for clearing that up jeanine, I am sometimes confused because every state has another law enforcement, I did live in Cambridge/Boston - where the fireworks were just amazing during NYE or 4th of July, no real crowd trying to attempt to hurt each other or vandalize anything whatsoever.
Neighbor of mine just pointed out today that I never shoot anything up during NYE celebration - no offence, my company just had been recently to Baghdad, if they want to hear this noise consistently because they like it so much - go there! Even in the green sector! So yes, I do believe an old year should go out with a big bang, but not endlessly.
Ruth I dont know how long you are on the island, must have missed your report in the Island Reporter, but I remember 10 years back, they were shooting until mid january.
Phil, hello to your kittens, I hope the noise range has cleared a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1203) on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 12:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Been here since 1990...never in the Reporter (except as an advertiser). I feel now the same as I do with the biker's week--glad when it's over! In Curacao, they imported 28 40' containers of fireworks; not sure how many here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By silvia taurer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #205) on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 12:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, have been on Bonaire during bikers week this year - looking outside the window - to see them passing by - I had to chuckle - considering the arrangement who goes first and who last - was just reading in the amigoe - that sales of fireworks on curacao were fair but not extraordinarily

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By karen zavon (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Tuesday, January 5, 2010 - 10:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Phil,

I suppose that the police can't do anything about stopping fireworks if they are legal, however, they can and should do something about the use of fireworks if they are being used in a way that may endanger people or property. If you described the dangerous way in which these were being used and your concerns to the police and they did nothing, then that is just a "cop out." Excuse the pun. My guess is that they just had their hands full that night. As far as the use of fireworks, the law may state that they are legal, but you can enact laws that prevent certain types of fireworks from being sold, i.e. Osamas. That way, everyone can still enjoy their fireworks, but the most potentially dangerous (and annoying) ones will be illegal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #328) on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 9:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

often times the 911 calls are routed to curacao... to be sure to get a reponse call the police station here on bonaire at the 717-8000 number

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tami"Just say NO to textiles!" (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #220) on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 1:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We spent one NYE ;on Curacao- the fireworks were too amazing!! DRIFTS of red paper and Midnight!! I defy anyone to sleep through that! (We did wonder because of all the oil storage- but nothing major blew up!!) I grew up in HongKong and remember the wonderful firerackers that were so much a part of Chinese celebration- alas...most were banned because of the unrest during the Great Leap Forward.....

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration