BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Three Cruise Ships at Once?
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2009: Archives 07-01-2009 to 12-31-2009: Three Cruise Ships at Once?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Zavon (BonaireTalker - Post #96) on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 8:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

On the schedule for January 5th, 11th, 19th, 25th, Feb 9th, 16th, and 23rd. We have two piers, where is the third going to tie off?

Cruise Ship Schedule

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3939) on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 11:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

They will be under power and tender the people in. With bow and stern thrusters in in use, it will have a toll on what marine life we have left in the harbor. I think it is insane for us to have so much pressure put on our infrastructure..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #915) on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 1:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, I agree. If it seems bad now, wait until the piers are expanded/improved to better accommodate more and larger cruise ships. The health of the reefs and the marine life that depends on them is of no concern to ship lines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1449) on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 1:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm getting sadder and sadder....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4016) on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 1:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

and then my friend saw two septic trucks carrying away waste from Freewinds..mind you I did not see it but he is a reliable source..sigh....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 2:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You are almost Cozumel now. Wonder when the TGI Fridays opens.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - www.bsdme.info (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #681) on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 5:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bruce,
I am sure the Freewinds will get bumped and there will be two which is at least one more than I want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #312) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 8:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

as a rule the freewinds does not come in.. also 1 ship is here until early afternoon and the other is here for only a few hours arriving after noon. i like you would like to see fewer ships, this issue must be taken up with powers that be a TCB .... the continued dumping by the freewinds is by the permission of our island council .. contact them... it appears that all the pressure put on them as of this date has not been effective .....there are many many of us out there lobbying for change.. but so far .. no matter what is tried .. it goes disregarded by the very few in power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #235) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pietri, time for a demonstration! time to carry signs when the Freewinds docks to let everyone know that those few are allowing free dumping of sewage on Bonaire--so much for the supposed pristine marine environment that is bragged about everywhere. time to write into all the dive magazines and web-sites to let all divers know that Bonaire is choosing sewage and cruise ships over divers. time for divers to stop coming to Bonaire. perhaps that would be a pressure that TCB and the government could not ignore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3942) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 11:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last night Freewinds gave a free concert on board. It was well attended by locals. There are other issues such as free rides to Aruba and back, etc. Fishy or what!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry NNNNNNNNNNNNNN (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #23842) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 11:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonaire is being sold to the highest bidder.

It's not my place to tell the people of Bonaire how to run there government, or what they should, or should not do. I'm just a visitor there, but not for long. This will be my last trip to Bonaire, and there are no plans to return in the foreseeable future. It's my way of saying that I am sick seeing so much over building. Boat people walking around in a stupor looking for the shops.

I'll spend my $6,000.00 a year some place else.
I wonder how many boat people it takes to make up the 6 K loss being spent on Bonaire by just me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #917) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 12:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I bring a group of 12 every year, and stay for three weeks. The place where we stay runs $4K a week for the group. All told it is quite a bit of money into the local economy. Like Jerry, we are exploring other places to vacation. I doubt we are alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Zavon (BonaireTalker - Post #98) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 12:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

These kinds of comments need to be sent to the government, as I don't think they follow BT. This is the general email address for TCB:

info@tourismbonaire.com

Anyone know what the best address would be for the powers that really control this? I'm sure they've heard it before (lots of prior threads on this) but can't hurt to keep reminding them where the real tourist dollars come from.

Unfortunately, even if you say "look at Cozumel and Grand Cayman, 8 ships at a time," divers still go there. I don't like 'em, but I don't really have a vote.

Has there ever been a serious independent study of the positive and negative impacts of cruise tourism on reefs and on dive tourism?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fredster (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13443) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 12:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonaire - Main Office
Tourism Corporation Bonaire
Kaya Grandi #2
Kralendijk, Bonaire
Netherlands Antilles
Tel: +(599) 717-8322 +(599) 717-8322
Fax: +(599) 717-8408
email: info@tourismbonaire.com

U.S.A. & Canada
Adams Unlimited Public Relations & Marketing
80 Broad Street, 32nd Floor
Suite 3202
New York, New York, 10004
Tel: +(212) 956-5912 or 1-800-BONAIRE 1-800-BONAIRE
Fax: +(212) 956-5913
email: usa@tourismbonaire.com

Europe
Basis Communicatie B.V.
Wagenweg 252
P.O. Box 472
NL-2000 AL Haarlem
The Netherlands
Tel: 31 23-543-0705
Fax: 31 23-543-0730
email: europe@tourismbonaire.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4021) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 2:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Along with the tourist boards you need to contact the government officials..both parties all involved..not sure the tourist boards are the voice of the people..they are the PR firms for the islands really..if that makes sense?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11463) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 2:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, pardon me for adding my two cents, but the boat people are just a fraction of the troubles on island. Far bigger issues are at hand. I am waiting to see what happens next month. :-( I can only hope the people of Bonaire make the right choice. Won't get into talking politics here, but there is sure a lot at stake and decisions that will be made soon, will make or break the future of Bonaire. Let's hope our little piece of paradise which we all love to go to can survive it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1182) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 4:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Me too. After sticking bonaire for the last 7 years (mostly 2 trips a year), decided to continue technical training in Key Largo Florida instead of Bonaire... too many cruise ships and the marketing of Bonaire as an environmentally friendly island is laughable at best.... its a long way to go just to expirience Cozumel light twice year. Not saying I'll never go back but definately cutting it back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1517) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 5:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

so sad...so sad indeed. my next trip will most likely be my last (never say never) and I am exploring other areas that are less crowded and have great diving to offer, and truly value their guests and marine life...

I see shades of St. Marteen, Aruba, Curacao, etc...happening to Bonaire. I know, progress:-(

For years we have had campaigns writing to TCB and to the government of Bonaire, only to fall on deaf ears. Take a look at other dive boards, Scubaboard and others...a lot of folks feel the same way about the direction Bonaire is heading.

I'd rather go back to the BVIs and do a barebottom charter, and explore the Pacific....

I'm just sayin'...Bonaire's reefs are not what they were a mere ten years ago...not by a long shot.

I know that folks that own property will defend Bonaire to their death because they have a larger financial stake in their thoughts...but if I'm gonna spend 4K or more, I'm going to start looking elsewhere...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11466) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 5:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tink, I do own property there, but do not include myself in your saying ~ "I know that folks that own property will defend Bonaire to their death because they have a larger financial stake in their thoughts." Far from it.

I agree the reefs are not what they were a mere ten years ago, but I still find Bonaire better than all of the islands I have visited in the past. :-) That said, I also agree about the cruise ships too. As I said earlier in this thread, Bonaire has far bigger issues to deal with and maybe I wasn't clear on that, I mean waste sewage plant here and then cruise ship control plan, as I have been and always will be about the life down under on Bonaire. That and the diving ease is what makes me keep coming again and again. The vote coming up next month probably will be a decision maker for me on a lot of thing. Cause if they do not go forward with Holland, the reef's will no doubt perish as Bonaire itself does not have the funds to remedy all it's problems and time is running out to effectively do so as island time may indeed be its own downfall on this one. Yes, sad indeed.

And as I said earlier, let's hope Bonaire makes the right choice. I am not a resident and do not have a vote. Nor can I tell any politician there what they should do with their island. I don't like all the added construction going on either, much too much at one time. But, I am still hopeful that things will work out. In November, the island was not crowded at all, it is not always the case, high season, it always has been so since I have been going to Bonaire, which is a lot of years now. Actually, last high season, there was not as many as in the past on island. So, I do not agree with "less crowded" comment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1518) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 5:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie, points well taken. My reference to "less crowded" has to do with the cruise ships. We like St. Marteen, beautiful island, but too much traffic and five cruise ships in port daily just made it ugly...:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11467) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 6:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tink, :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry NNNNNNNNNNNNNN (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #23848) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 7:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #918) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 7:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Re: The above picture

Dec 28, 2009 AidaAura 1260 aboard.

All those wonderful folks from one small ship, and probably none of them driving.
Just imagine the chaos with three big ships at once.
One seems more than enough.
I've arranged my trip schedule so as to not be there during cruise season for just this reason.
From sewers to roads the infrastructure surely isn't keeping up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fredster (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13445) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 8:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

the photo is dec 10 2009 Ruby Princess 3100

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fredster (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13446) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 8:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

January 5 and 11.. stay out of town.. 4500 pod people.. plus the freewind people,.,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Freeman (BonaireTalker - Post #94) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 8:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOW...this is sad to see many of the long time visitors feeling the same as I have been feeling.
After our last trip to Bonaire in October of this year, I too started wondering why I continue to go to Bonaire year after year. I guess for us, the reason is the ease of diving and diving freedom. I'm afraid that won't cut it any longer for us. Another strong factor is the people of Bonaire....again....that won't cut it any longer.
Let's face it....it is neither cheap, nor easy to get to Bonaire in the first place. There are a lot of other places with good diving and easier access to spend our money on. Don't get me wrong, I still love Bonaire and it will always hold a place in my heart, but for now, I'm afraid the end of our trips there is upon us.
The Florida Keys are a 2 and a half hour plane ride for us, and MUCH cheaper too. The diving is very good there and I've met many fine people while there. Other islands are within an easy plane ride also, and most of the ones I've been to have fine diving also. I don't think the government of Bonaire can sit on their hands any longer allowing the issues of sewerage and cruise ships to just fade. Something needs to be done, and done now! I know that I really have no right to critisize them as I am not a Bonaire resident, but, I am a tourist spending my money, and I can speak loudly by not spending any more of it there.
Although I would like to continue my trips there, I just cant justify it any longer.
Bonaire has long touted itself as an environmentally friendly island, but, is it that way now? I don't think so. Along with the sewerage issues and being over run by cruise ships, I've also noticed a lot of other unfriendly environmental issues. When you go out to eat and want to take your leftovers with you, how are they packaged? Styrofoam containers!! How many years does it take for just one of those things to degrade? For the Americans here.....do you remember when McDonalds used to package Big Macs in styrofoam? Well, even they have gone to paper packaging now. While dining at Rum Runners I ordered a coke and it was brought to me in a plastic bottle. Is that environmentally friendly? Nope...I don't think so.
Bobby Jans take out.....styrofoam. KFC drinks....styrofoam. Lovers ice cream....styrofoam.If it's a cost issue, then why not just charge a couple cents more to cover the cost of paper packaging?
I'm not saying that I will never return to Bonaire again, because I really do love the island and it's people, but,for now, I don't see myself there for awhile.
If the government of Bonaire does not wake up soon, I'm afraid the island could be doomed. Honestly.....where would the people of Bonaire be without the dive tourism?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Freeman (BonaireTalker - Post #95) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 8:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Something else thats on my mind...........
Why do cruise lines want to come to Bonaire in the first place? Shopping? I don't think so....face it, theres not that many places for shopaholics. Beaches? I'm sure it's not the reason because there's not any beaches of the BVI variety there. Wild night life/party life? C'mon, get serious.
Again I ask.....just why do cruise lines wish to dock on Bonaire???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11469) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 9:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Another point to ponder here~ It is a little known fact that Jamaica has the most diverse reefs in the world. Imagine that. Now, even though that is true, I would not go to Jamaica, no way.

Another fact is that the reefs worldwide are in crisis. Coral bleaching and lots of other things all come into play as to why, so something to ponder on when looking elsewhere.

Grass is always greener on the other side so to speak.

I plan on enjoying Bonaire and it's reefs as long as I can. Sad to say changes all over the world down under. Bonaire is not the only place effected.

My daughter, who's major is Marine Biology has enlightened me to a lot of what is going on worldwide, truly scary.

Her dream is to teach Marine Biology and then this summer go on to her masters and doctorate in specializing in Tropical Coral Reefs. She is hoping to make a difference on the reefs in the future. I wish her the best in her goals. A truly amicable one. There are quite a few universities out there trying to make a difference. Money, of course, and funding are always an issue with these things. Hopefully, maybe things may change and the world's reefs will or part of them will survive MANKIND.

Don, I know the supermarkets on Bonaire started using paper bags instead of plastic. A step in the right direction, eh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Freeman (BonaireTalker - Post #96) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 9:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie, please give your daughter a pat on the back from me. If I were younger and about to embark on my collegiate career, marine bio is definately what I would want to major in.
I agree that the worlds reefs are in danger, and the sad fact is, that my daughters children may never know the thrill of seeing a vibrant coral reef with their own eyes. This is what saddens me the most.
Actually, my daughter will be starting college next year and marine bio is a possibility for her.
She's always been interested in the oceans of the world and since she became certified to dive, her interests have intensified greatly.
I truly hope that we as a people, have not waited too long to try and do something about the state of the coral reefs. Too many people do not understand the importance of them and what we could face without them.
BTW...what school does your daughter attend? I see you're from NJ and I'm wondering if she goes to East Stroudsburg in eastern PA? I know that they have a good marine bio program.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1519) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 9:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

(Message edited by lovetodive on December 28, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 11:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Where is there left that is remote as Bonaire use to be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3147) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

(Message edited by glenr on December 29, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #313) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 9:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

nice dramatic picture...but hardly indicative of the true situation ..... if the freewinds is in port on a 2 cruise ship day .. which so far this season the freewinds has never been in port on those days .. the passengers NEVER get off the ship .. occasionally you might see a crew member or so...fact also is that not ALL the passengers get off the ship ....probably barely half if that many .. the picture was taken at noon at the siesta/lunch break for those working in town .. kaya grandi is the only road available for the majority of people working in town .. either north or south..to get home .. also the vehicles in the picture are not related to the cruise ship but to local traffic as much as i can see .. this occurs everyday at the rush hours..not just on cruise days .. i work in the center of town and see this every day ....it reflects more accurately the ballooning increase in population and ownership of cars and the dive trucks returning to the north hotels for the noon break ... i agree this is too much, but at least portray the true situation ...the cruise ship that day was the Ruby Princess which docks at 11 AM. this picture shows the surge of passengers just disembarking and checking out the town .. this activity of cars and people is of a very short duration .. all over in 15 minutes...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #314) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 9:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

to clarify .. i meant that generally half or so of the passengers on any of cruise ships disembark and the majority for scheduled tours.. it still can be a great number .. but not the hoards of 1000's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rose Hall (BonaireTalker - Post #91) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 9:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree. Why do cruise ships stop at Bonaire?? I love Bonaire for diving but Bonaire is hardly a shoppers paradise! I can hardly beleive the passengers spend loads in restaurants etc as they are probably full to the brim with food from the boat. Perhaps Bonaire could charge each passenger to come ashore. Divers have to pay to use the sea, so why not charge them to come ashore!

I also agree signs in cafe's etc saying "toilets for patrons only" wouldnt go amiss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #315) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 10:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

rose ... ask TCB .. they are the marketers ... yes .. i agree .. this is not a shopping destination .. not even duty free so bonaire compares in that area very poorly ... the tours offered are nature oriented .. there is some interest.. but not a lot .. after all .. most of the countries that the passengers come from are more beautiful and lush .. tour sales and shop sales are way down this season .if they buy anything at all .. the small ships on the other hand...bonaire was appealing to the passengers .. who loved nature and the related activities .. an appropriate sign for bathroom use would be a simple solution .. where i work it is a NO with a smile....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4023) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just came in from massive errands in town. The Ocean something is in...Freewinds as Petri says really does not impact traffic, only the unloading of their poo to god knows where..

As I mentioned many times it's a lovely island for small boutique lines with select clientel who will embrace nature. Windjammer used to come in. I worked for this line (bankrupt/defunct) and understand the clientel..this was a perfect example of a clientel that is a good match for BON. The high end Crystal ships are another IMHO. Princess boats cater to those wanting the most for their money. Most care not where they go as long as they can shop off shore and drink and eat onboard. Rant over...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1522) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, you and I must have been thinking the same thing...LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6229) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got back a few weeks ago... cannot put it into words how I feel. All I could tell Steve was that it felt really different now. Just different. Not very eloquent, but it really sums it up for me. Steve isn't a diver, so probably next trip will be somewhere 'golf-y' for him, beachy for me. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine aka Jah-neen (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9322) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly, I'm with you. I felt the same way. I'm headed back again this year, but I don't think I will make it to my Ambassador medal as I wanted to when I first went to Bonaire. I'm actually twisting Wes' arm to come with me this time and he didn't come last time. He got turned off when we were at Eden Beach and got run over by the pod people. We are thinking of doing something beachy as well in the near future or maybe inland to a jungle area. So sad...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6230) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I had to go to the Botika one day, and had to park clear down near the Cha Cha pier toward Divi. I drove around forever looking for a spot and finally just said F it ! lol ! I needed the exercise anyway...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11471) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree, Bonaire is not appealing when cruise ships are in port. Even without them, there are a lot more cars/trucks on island and I found it extremely hard to find a parking spot in town on paydays and lunch times and that was in low season.

I go different times of the year, Feb., June, Aug., & Nov. mostly and February is only to be where it is warmer as it is too cold in my neck of the woods here in the states. If I lived where it was warm year round, I would not go during cruise ship season. Much more better times of the year to go.

I do understand what many of you are thinking who go for a week or two only a year and that is during high season. I would too, no doubt.

And yes, there are a lot of changes, Bonaire is not what is was 10, 20 years ago, but the only thing that is certain, is Change, no one can hold back the sands of time and keep anyplace the "same", now things could be better, sure could, but I do understand, really, I do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11473) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 1:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don, didn't mean to ignore your question, she is attending Texas A&M in Galveston, Texas. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Retired Innkeeper Linda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1432) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 5:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don, My daughter attends University of Hawaii-Hilo and is heavily involved in the Marine Science department. Her special interest is Marine Mammal Rescue. It's very reasonably priced except for the distance and travel. (We use air-miles). Donna's daughter (like others on this board) is also active in the Marine Science field now located on Guam.

I agree with you 'long time Bters' regarding the changes in the island. Unfortunately, we will not be attaining our ambassador medals either. This would have been our 9th year had we traveled to Bonaire. We've made some wonderful friends on Bonaire but when AA pulled out it made it a lot more difficult for us travel-wise. Each year we found the island 'different' (using Kelly's word).

We still love Bonaire and I know we'll return but other paradises await. I'm looking forward to a snorkel on Niihau in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking it will be completely unspoiled. At least I know that I'll definitely not be swimming through Freewinds discharge as I've experienced before off of Klein !!

I so wish that TCB and other Bonaire powers would view this thread. So many of us love Bonaire and just feel awful that cruise ships are spoiling the island. ♥

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11475) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 5:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That is three BT children who went into marine sciences now! :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (BonaireTalker - Post #88) on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 9:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My daughter just graduated from UCSD in the same field and returned to Bonaire this week for some time off from school and work as a DM in a local shop. I think our love for Bonaire and the oceans of the world had definitely something to do with our kids career choices. I believe the future of Bonaire rests entirely in the hands of young Bonairians, their education seems multinational and definitely multilingual and the Organization of Yong Bonaire is trying hard to involve them in island projects. These young people will have to step up one day and show their elders that their island is losing its image of a perfect paradise. As guests on the island we can look for opportunities to help them and be role models.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #236) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 8:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chris, "one day" will be too late. Their elders are allowing the island's natural heritage to be trashed on a daily basis. By the time "one day" comes, their will not be a shard of reef or a single fish left. And they will weep at what could have been.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By karen zavon (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 9:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don,

I understand that the Florida Keys might be a less expensive place to get to, but, just so you know, most of the homes and businesses there are on a septic system. That's why there was a moratorium on building instituted years ago. Also, Key West has far more cruise ships and passengers than Bonaire. To all those who decide not to come back, I understand where you're coming from, but unless you let the government know why you have made the decision you have, your choice will not make a direct statement. There's some good info on this thread about where to send your complaints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise K (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2589) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 9:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since I don't think BT is the place to talk about where else to go dive ... anybody want to direct a discusion to another dive web site about where to go instead of Bonaire? I'd be interested in this as I look down the road for someplace as easy to dive but good diving and not so expensive.

I am surprised to hear the Keys as an alternative. I dove the Keys a few years ago and was greatly disappointed.

I agree that I am not happy about the changes on Bonaire. But I still want to go there, at least to see our very good friends there. And yes the diving is not as good as it once was, but it is still very good in many dive sites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1529) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 11:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly, it just isn't the same is it? Remember relaxing on the tailgait on the waterfront eating Whataburger during surface intervals?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #23875) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just wait till they build the water park on Klein.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6232) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 1:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde... nothing will ever compare to that trip. I have the best and funniest memories of that trip! Remember that HOT corner in the house where the computer was, and my pringles and pepsi? Remember not hearing the cleaning lady when she came at 6 am??? Fiesta? Si... Fiesta...
Toothbrush debacle, beer on sale at City Cafe, the day it rained and we drove around looking for weird things to take pictures of.... even our last night when J and L were home and we were sleeping in Bas's bed giggling all night. Yep, that is definitely one for the books.

And let's not forget having to scratch my back every single night !!!

sigh..........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pegi Sue *...PegiPie...G's PS (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11935) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 1:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

G and I want to go to St. Eustatious(SP?). But I don't want everyone to start going there!!!! It's so quiet and small and everything I thought Bon was back on our first trip. One day......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pegi Sue *...PegiPie...G's PS (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11936) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 1:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've read so many times under "Environmental Action" to BOYCOTT Bonaire. Well, that's not what we are doing, but I want somewhere quiet to spend time with G. THAT is how I found Bonaire in the first place, I'd never even heard of it. It's not so "quiet" now. We only started going there in 2007. And reading about the "waste" problems and to think I am diving in that??? And contributing to it.....obviously we aren't wanted there, from what I have read on Environmental Action....

But that's just me. I do still love Bonaire!!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Retired Innkeeper Linda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1433) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 3:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly and Tink,
I remember the RAT and comings and goings from the gate. We all had a fun trip through your postings and shenanigans. ♥

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11485) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 3:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OMG! I remember the rat too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6237) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 3:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

LOL, the Party Rat.... he was such a nice companion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Retired Innkeeper Linda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1434) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 4:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

rat
rat1
rat2
rat3

LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Retired Innkeeper Linda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1435) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 4:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, I hi-jacked the thread. I think that's Alison in the last photo. That rat got around!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6238) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 4:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OMG thanks for the little stroll down memory lane !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1531) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 5:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That rat was such a ho...lol~!

more highjack...- Kelly

- come candles
- little blijke following us into the sea
- the guy following us down the reef cause we still had our purple thongs on
- putting things on the front gate to make people guess what they were
- i broke the cam
- remember how HOT it was??? OMG
- i think i left my big bra in Bas' room. poor kid, probably's never been the same
- butt coral
- that weird vegetable at City Cafe
partay rat

(Message edited by lovetodive on December 30, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RA**** staying ahead of the curve! (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15218) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 5:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde has a thing for weird vegetables. That's all I'm saying!(it actually looks like a finger to me!)LOL

Kelly has a thing for....rats! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1532) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 5:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OMG, and Kelly...one word...MARTIN!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6239) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 5:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OMG MARTIN.... yes yes yes.... I saw him this time at Buddy's. He is still very very beautiful. VERY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Long (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #188) on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 12:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have they released the 2010 second half cruise ships port calls yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #391) on Tuesday, March 2, 2010 - 5:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gary, I just got it this afternoon. I'll have it posted on http://www.infobonaire.com/cruises.html by tomorrow afternoon the latest. (Tried to answer your mail, but it came back as undeliverable, for some reason.) Susan

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration