BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Divi Divi Recovery
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2009: Archives 07-01-2009 to 12-31-2009: Divi Divi Recovery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #813) on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 5:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi
I have been watching and searching for 2 weeks for further news about the recovery operation of the Divi Divi wreck and, more important the body of the pilot. Despite my struggles i have found nothing after news of weather and current problems, almost 2 weeks ago. Has anyone seen anything?
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5003) on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 5:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Mick, Last week there was some news about Smit (a big salvage company from Holland) is going to recover the wreck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #814) on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 6:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Eh
Wouldn't you know I just spotted this on Bonaire Reporter's website. Not in the paper,but on the web page. I hope it's OK to use it.

12/13/2009 Failure to Recover Aircraft
Smit Salvage suspended its efforts to recover the Divi Divi plane that sunk into 170 m. (560 ft.) off Klein Bonaire until further notice. “The underwater robot ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) cannot be steered properly at that depth because of the strong current,” explained Antillean Minister of Transport and Communication Maurice Adriaens. The robot placed two slings under the wings of the sunken aircraft. Photos from the ROV confirmed the body of the pilot was still inside.
Plans to complete the recovery are being discussed by officials.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (BonaireTalker - Post #85) on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 3:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

plane was recovered on 12/18. picture in the bonairereporter online edition shows the plane hardly damaged, just the nose crushed in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian ******* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4684) on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 8:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry folks I intended to go to the funeral when his body came home, but I only just picked this up tonight, he was buried 40 minutes from my home.

http://www.solihullobserver.co.uk/news89214.html

(Message edited by brianl on January 20, 2010)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration