BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: TV Service
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2009: Archives 07-01-2009 to 12-31-2009: TV Service
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonaire Tiki Girl aka Cindi (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 11:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am finally at the point to pick a TV service solution for my single family home in Hato.
Everyone that changed to TDS last year – are you still happy with them? Are the choices still MiTV (Telbo), Flamingo TV and TDS? We have noticed satellite dishes on peoples houses, is that Direct TV? We have friends on the island that have Flamingo TV and it seems that the lower number channels have a higher quality reception than the higher channels. Please comment on TV service you have and the picture quality of the channels. I would appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks, Cindi (BTG)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOBY (BonaireTalker - Post #92) on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 7:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We changed to TDS last year - if anything it was less reliable than Flamingo, at least in terms of getting a signal. Flamingo was usually channels missing, with TDS it's the whole thing - usually with us it was Friday it went off, so nothing to do about it until Monday. On Monday they said there was nothing wrong, but they reset their system and suddenly we had a signal again!!

MiTV that we have now is so far much more reliable than either of them, and better signal quality (most of the time) than TDS which suffers from Jerky vision a lot of the time. Fantastic for viewing still pictures but if anything moves, it jerks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #610) on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 11:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have any of you considered Slingbox--all you need is high speed Internet and you get A U.S.Cable signal.

We've discussed this before and there are people on island who successfully use it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonaire Tiki Girl aka Cindi (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 9:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill, Slingbox looks to be an interesting product, however, we have no cable or satellite box in the US to connect to for access. Bonaire is our only home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sandy Oliver (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 3:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of TV's. Just bought a Condo on island and want to get a 24-26" flat screen for wall mount as this is a Studio. Bringing one from the states seems like a big hassle with shipping or squeezing it into some type of luggage. Any suggestions of either shipping or buying on the island instead. Name of store etc?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonaire Tiki Girl aka Cindi (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 4:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was just in Omni buying an airco, they had flat screen TV's on sale. City Shop also carries flat screen TV's.
I brought TV's in my container from California. However, our friends just bought a TV at Best Buy had them send it to Amcar in Florida and shipped it to Bonaire.

Now I am looking for the TV service!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2567) on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 7:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sandy..Buy it on island. Omni should be able to give you a good deal. They'll bring it over & install it. EZ PZ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sandy Oliver (BonaireTalker - Post #41) on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 10:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tiki:

If you are in Omni or City Shop again. Can you check on the prices they want for a 22-26" flat screen. Or at least get me a range of prices before we decide to ship. We got some good info from "Chat and Browse" on how to ship. Just deciding what to do now. Thanks. If anyone can help us out, we'd appreciate it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #356) on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 7:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

When I was in the flat-screen market about two years ago, there was a $1200.00 difference between the same models of TV between buying here and buying in the States. I bought in the States, paid $50.00 to ship the TV (along with other items, so my clearing costs were going to paid already anyway), and there's limited or no duty on electronics, so I only had to pay the sales tax. Unless prices have come down materially since then, I would buy in the States.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonaire Tiki Girl aka Cindi (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 10:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sandy,

I am making up flyer's to sell my dishwasher, truck, and washing machine. When they are completed I plan to post at many places including Cultimara . I'll drop by Omni since it so close to Cultimara to check on TV prices and report back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11151) on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 1:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We bought our in the states and did same as Susan D. did, put with other items going down, got what I wanted and saved money as prices were way higher as Susan said. Fridges, stoves, washers,small electronics, I would buy on island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Truesdell(Bellafonte condos) (BonaireTalker - Post #59) on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 7:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I bought a 42 in in states for 569.00 and shipped it for 60.00 at the airport.Make sure you have a 50hz. tv.before you ship.We carried the tv. with us ,the 60.00 fee was at the airport.Vizio is a 50-60 hz.tv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sandy Oliver (BonaireTalker - Post #43) on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 11:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks everyone. Tiki if you could still check out the prices for me on the 24-26" range, I would appreciate it. Not sure what we are going to do yet as the prices here in the states are so reasonable and sales every where due to the holidays. Mike, from Chat and Browse gave us the shipping instructions he uses which was great. Just need to check out our options.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonaire Tiki Girl aka Cindi (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 11:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sandy,

You should have received a private email with Omni's TV sale prices. If you did not let me know.

BTG - Cindi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sandy Oliver (BonaireTalker - Post #45) on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 5:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tiki

Got the prices.................thanks

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration