BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: How I spent my weekend - Hint not diving
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2009: Archives 07-01-2009 to 12-31-2009: How I spent my weekend - Hint not diving
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt III - www.RecTekScuba.com (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #447) on Monday, September 7, 2009 - 6:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well there was no diving for me this weekend just seeing old friends meeting new friends, lots of good food, plenty of drinks after and some good rides.

This was the 11th annual Bonaire Day Bike Rally.

Here are just a few shots taken Sunday before the main ride and of some of us starting.

Here are some of the bikes downtown waiting to start.
Bikes DT
Bikes DT 2

Some us hiding from the sun before the ride
Harry Walt Rick

Here are 3 of the officials from the Bonaire Bikers Friends Bike Club. The Sport Bike Club on Bonaire.
Sport Bike Off

Getting Started here I go on my Harley Davidson Dyna
Walt

Here is our back up the 2 behind us they did a great job of keeping the Trikes behind them and not letting them mix it up. The guys on the Trikes were always trying to get up front which caused some problems, as the roads are only so wide down here and 2 bikes and a trike don’t fit so well.
Roland & Wife

More friends starting Harry and Rick and Kathy get started.
Rick  Harry

Here our new friend Giovani from Curacao gets started on his custom Chopper. He stayed out by us at Lagoen Hill with his sister.
Giovani Starts

This year only one Boss Hoss showed up in past year there has been as many as 3.This one is piloted by Tony from Aruba. Never heard of a Boss Hoss. Well just tuck a 350 cu.in. Corvette V-8 engine in a bike and you have a Boss Hoss 355 HP & 405 ft.lb. torque. Or go with the new 6 liter Aluminum Corvette engine delivering 445 HP & 445 ft.lb. torque. Zero to 60 in a couple of seconds hang on tight. Rumor has it they are working on a putting a big block V-8 in them. For those interested more info can be found here: Boss Hoss Cycles
Tony's Boss Hoss

There were lots of nice custom choppers here this year here are a couple of them. The first one is Giovani’s.
Giovanis chopper
Orange Chopper
Orange Flame Chopper

Several of the Sport Bikes have “theme paint jobs" here are a couple of interesting ones.
Tiger
BK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Freddie* (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12656) on Monday, September 7, 2009 - 6:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

HOW COOL IS THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks Walt !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BYorke (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, September 7, 2009 - 7:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Walt!
Thanks for the pictures! A good time was had I'm sure.

Brenda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #599) on Monday, September 7, 2009 - 7:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Walt!!!

Giovani’s shift linkage is awesome!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John "Smack" Anderson (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1832) on Monday, September 7, 2009 - 8:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Loved seeing all the bikes today! Thanks for the pics, Walt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #787) on Monday, September 7, 2009 - 8:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Walt
How in Blazes do those guys get all those bikes there. It seems to me it must some tough job to coordinate your arrival with that of your bike. Do some come by Airfreight? Quite a surprising sight to me. 'Nuff said.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A. livin' la vida loca (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4320) on Monday, September 7, 2009 - 9:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very Cool pictures and I like the 2nd chopper! And uh yeah...what Tom said! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #519) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 1:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOW, thanks Walt! Great pics!

Love Giovani's bike, and the spikes on the orange bike are cool.

Ok, what's a "Trike?"

Again, thanks. We need more posts of local events such as this on BT:-):-):-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ Condo) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #357) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 2:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the post Walt, look like a great time, reminds me of the days when I use to ride.....

Tink, look at first picture, under the KLM sign to the left, thats a trike.

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1122) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mick, the bikes come in containers. I heard there were 13 40' ones this year (most via Curacao, whether from Aruba, South America or the States, etc.). It is some major coordinating on both ends for everyone involved, but everyone knows the containers are due to start arriving by Thursday (ocean freight) of the "Bike Week" and they get loaded the following Mon/Tue, so the riders arrange their flights accordingly. The event planners here also work hard with customs to arrange the paperwork for the somewhat transient status of the bikes: they're not being permanently "imported" to Bonaire, then they need to be "exported" back to their homes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane and Bea (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #500) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 4:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very Cooooolllll reminds me of my days of Sturgis :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Krispi ***** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7134) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 4:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOW..thanks Walt!!!
Wish I was there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt III - www.RecTekScuba.com (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #448) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 4:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Trikes are giant tricycles for big boys.
Trike
Trike 2

And the fearless leader of the pack on Sunday
Jack

I am not sure of the # of containers of Bikes but on Thursday morning I helped unload 9 containers. I know they unloaded some on Wednesday and also some more on Thursday afternoon. I know they put 600 registration packages together Wednesday evening and sold almost all of them Friday evening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2376) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 4:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i see a number of what are known as "geezer glides" (no, i'm not really making fun of them, i have one too)...road king, electra glides, etc. trikes are in a class by themselves. i know people who ride them because of leg-strength or balance problems. i guess if someone rides a trike just because they feel like they are beyond the two-wheeled age, that trike could be categorized as an "old geezer glide"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3749) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 4:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've seen Pat's ride.....not very geezerly.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #601) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 4:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat, yup, the day I can't hold up or pick up my Road King will be the day I get a Tri-Glide. Not the one with the wi-fi, satellite tv and ironing board tho, just the basic model so I can still enjoy wind in my beard and bugs in my teeth:-)

Walt, Thanks for posting more pics!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2377) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 5:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

tom, the satellite tv comes in handy if you need to check the weather channel...and there has to be some use for an ironing board.

CB,once you get past two wheels and an engine, everything else is a step closer to geezerdom.

a friend has been riding for 40 years (lost his '77 AMF harley in his divorce) and now has a bike with a radio and cd player...i never thought i'd see the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3751) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 5:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat, don't say it....I always just thought the trikes were another brand of cool....

I pulled up to a geezerbike at a stoplight....his stereo was blasting "Born to be Wild"....gotta love it....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Retired Innkeeper Linda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1414) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 6:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Someday we'll join you on this annual ride. Thanks for the photos.....(we're geezers (no trike but XM and CD ahhhhh)
Here we are leaving Las Vegas last October.
Bonaire friends
This ride was a little less crowded.
Desert AZ road
The gang at the Bumbleberry Inn - outside Zion National Park.
great company

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3090) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 6:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is that 'fearless leader of the pack' Jack Chalk on his Harley???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt III - www.RecTekScuba.com (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #449) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 7:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes and it is also him in the picture above.

I was so Bummed I could not do that Vegas ride with you but I was able to to do a one day ride with a few other friends. I have pictures some where??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3091) on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - 9:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

TKS, Walt. And to think I knew him as a young man!!!

The guy at the end of the table looks almost but not quite like Butch Hendrick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt III - www.RecTekScuba.com (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #450) on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - 11:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are 2 from Bonaire, 4 from Curacao and 2 from the States in the above picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt III - www.RecTekScuba.com (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #451) on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - 11:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here are a couple of shots of my Las Vegas mountain ride last year.

Top of the mountain.
LV 1
LV 2
LV 3

The Lunch stop was a small lodge overlooking a nice valley we had lunch out on the deck. The parking lot was full of bikes.
LV 4
LV 5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt III - www.RecTekScuba.com (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #452) on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - 11:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Will try again pictures didn't upload

(Message edited by walt on September 9, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Retired Innkeeper Linda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1415) on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - 11:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, Walt, you guys went the opposite direction! Spring Mtn was a lot cooler, I suspect.

I think we're planning a ride (maybe a day longer) for next year. We'd love to have you join us. I'm sure Jack will plan way ahead. We're in Colorado but always up for a ride.

Nice pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt III - www.RecTekScuba.com (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #453) on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - 11:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you are a rider you should consider renting a bike on your last none diving day and go see the Island this way.

Starting up the North coast
Walt 1

Karpata is a great spot to stop and get off for a quick look around. Sometimes the snack is open and you can get a cold drink. If not look at the old aloe cooker and watch divers entering and exiting the water from the top of the stairs.
Bikes at Karpata
Walt Karpata
Karpata stairs

Farther up the coast past Karpata just enjoy the differing shades of blue in the water.
Mary 2

Next stop the over look at Gotomeer. Look for pink dots out on the salinia those dot are pink flamingos.
Gotomeer

Next stop at Dos Pos or 2 wells. It is cool in the shade. Look across the road from the well and see if the huge mango trees have fruit. Watch out for piglets in this area as they stop by for a drink now and then.
Kathy can’t hide
George
Dos Pos

Hungry yet or maybe thirsty? Then stop at Rose Inn for some of the best local food on Bonaire and the coldest beers on the island.
Rose Inn 2
Rose Inn
Rose Inn Bar

Not hungry yet continue back to Kralendijk and head out for the South tour. The only shade on the south tour is under the conveyor belt that loads salt at the salt pier.
Hiding in the shade

One of the restored saltpan marker for the ships. Blue Pan.
Blue Pan

Farther south you come to the first set of slave huts White Slave.
White Slave

The kite surfers are usually flying at the old fisherman huts. Then you come to Red Slave following on around the corner you see the southern tip of the island and the lighthouse at Willemstoren.
Willemstoren

If you skipped lunch at the Rose Inn you can stop at Kon Tiki for lunch and enjoy the cool sea breeze. I can highly recommend the Dutch Kibbling for lunch.
Kon Tiki
Kon Tiki 2

There are 2 ways to enjoy these sites from a Harley.
Rent a bike and go explore on your own or do a guided tour. If you have been to Bonaire many time this might be fore you.

The guided tour will give you more info on the sites and get you around without getting lost.

For more info on Guided tours look here:
Bonaire Guided Motorcycle tours

For renting a bike and exploring on your own try here:
Motorcycle Shop Bonaire

I have no financial interest in any of the companies mentioned above but consider them all good friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By T-Shirt Divers John and Sue (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #768) on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - 12:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nice pics. Thanks. The tour of the island via bike was nice. I like the pink bike!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10414) on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - 12:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Walt, that pic of George, is that George from LBR? Looks like him and his bike too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt III - www.RecTekScuba.com (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #454) on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - 2:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes it is George from LBR. The bike is a rental.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10415) on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - 3:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Walt, I had thought he shipped his bike down some time ago, nice to see him, haven't seen him since this past Feb., if ya see him, tell him I said HI! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Retired Innkeeper Linda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1416) on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - 4:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We always ride when on island. One year (2004) we even rode with the big group prior to Orlando's wedding.
lunch and dancing another water/beer stop
Even if we eat lunch at Rose Inn, we stop at Kon Tiki for refreshments and perhaps dessert! :-)

Highly recommend a ride around the island!!!!

(Message edited by LindaS on September 9, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3874) on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - 6:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

One of the guys looks like Paul Sr. from OCC!! Haa..you should invite him one time, Walt. My first trip to Bonaire coincided with bike week. I did not know it was bike week and merely thought it was a biker's island. Actually I sort of freaked out seeing so many bikes that weekend. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt III - www.RecTekScuba.com (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #455) on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 4:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rick's standard answer to that is Paul Sr. is at least a ft taller and I wish I had his money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #617) on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 8:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Walt, thanks for the pictures and suggestions!!!

Linda, thank you also for your pics!!!

Catching up today, didn't see the new photo additions yesterday because,... I was riding:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom & Bob Lionfish Whisperers (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1748) on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 11:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

WALT, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTION!!!

Great day of riding yesterday, plan on renting from Orlando again before I leave!!!

More to follow but, folks if you ride, rent a bike. I had an 09 Road King, cost less than it does to rent back home and Orlando and his lady are great folks!!!

Only warning for those "bed sheet white" northerners, like me ---- LOT'S AND LOT'S OF SUNBLOCK!!!

Here are a couple of pics, first is my diving/biking companion Bob T. in his favorite spot on a bike, second was taken at Boca Onima, great spot to stop to drink some water and .... just to be.

THIS IS LIVING
It doesn't get better than this

more will follow, nap time. Hey, it is a vacation afterall:-)

Dive-n-Ride Bonaire...should be on a shirt:-)

click

(Message edited by vtscuba on January 27, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nancy Klune (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 4:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've ridden all over the US and been to Sturgis twice, Queen of the rally in Ruidoso in '85 & won first place with my '85 Wide Glide. I'm impressed! I would never have thought there would be so many bikes on Bonaire. Way cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #819) on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 5:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nancy: Now we want to see your "Queen picture" :-) and of course a picture of your '85 Wide Glide

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #820) on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 5:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

description

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration