BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Looking for pawn shops?
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2009: Archives 07-01-2009 to 12-31-2009: Looking for pawn shops?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Denison (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 7:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I won't get into specifics or anything that will require the police report, because I have no scanner to scan it, but my car was broken into while snorkeling, and among other things, my wedding ring (only a week married) was stolen. Is there a chance this would show up in any pawn shops here in Bonaire? Where would I start looking if this were the case?

Thank you,
Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #20172) on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 8:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry for your loss Michael. One question, why was the ring in the car?

I don't think there is a shop on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Denison (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 9:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A bad last minute decision to take it off and avoid losing it in the water since it was a bit of a loose fit. We didn't know about leaving our doors unlocked and windows down, and were trying to keep stuff in the car at Andrea II. Needless to say after the $300 charge from Budget to pay for the window and everything else inside that was lost, I've carefully read and am now going by suggestions on how to keep this from happening again. My first trip from the states is teaching me a lot quickly. I'm still kicking myself for not getting some trip insurance too.

Thanks for your response. Sorry to hear about no pawn shops. I wasn't counting on finding the ring, but thought there could be a small glimmer of hope. The police recovered my wallet with credit cards, our fresh avacado, and my wife's shorts. The ring, cash, and pineapple (yeah...) are long gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2261) on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 11:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael..I am very sorry to hear of your unfortunate loss. Hopefully others will learn from your experience. When at a dive site and leaving your vehicle unattended, leave all windows down. The "perps" look for cars that are locked with the windows up & assume they contain valuables.

As a suggestion, try making a claim under your homeowners policy. If the ring was "scheduled" on the policy you could collect full value from your carrier. If not, I suspect the max for unscheduled jewelry is $500. Check it out & good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairebliss.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3773) on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 12:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, sorry..this is a total bummer. This is the reason "perps" do what they do in Bonaire. Someone leaves their valuables in a locked car and the perps break in. It is reinforcement for these jerks to continue this horrid means of eeking out a living. As a result I strongly recommend anyone at Andrea II leave windows down because more broken windows may be likely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #499) on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 12:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Andrea II is probably one of the worst sites for theft. As it is off the road and has a backdrop of trees, it is easy for would be thieves to hide.

I have seen them hiding in the bushes, waiting for people to dive. They then sneak out and rummage through the vehicle. As others say, in their eyes a locked vehicle means there is something to take.

A few friends and I set a bait and within 5 minutes of our colleagues disappearing under the water, they were around the car like rats. The one that we caught was more than a little surprised.

Maybe he filed a Police report when he came round.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2262) on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 1:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie..You are absolutely correct! I didn't want to get into that, but it's psych 101; BF Skinner's operant conditioning (which is applicable to many things in life).

There are guidelines to follow on Bonaire, and when they are not followed not only do bad things result; but it also provides a positive reinforcement to the perp to repeat the action. Textbooks call this a variable ratio of reinforcement. From what I recollect, one of the most potent forms of conditioning. You never know which one will "hit". Ever watch the good folks play the slots in Vegas or A.C.? Same principle.

**Antony** I'd love to see more bait set out for the rats in coordination with law enforcement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairebliss.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3774) on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 2:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince, exactly...gosh, I hated that class, BTW, in undergrad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 2:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How about this: you leave truck windows open, doors unlocked and realize your under water camera case has a problem, you wrap it in cloth and hide it in a pile of rocks far away from the car and since no other car is around and you do not see a person around this is a safe solution. Wrong! Rock pile was disturbed, camera gone. Happened at KARPATA on 6/6. So don't try this one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3036) on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 4:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone waiting and watching to see when you go in the water will see.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #110) on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 10:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, I'm so sorry this has happened. Hopefully your homeowners insurance will cover the ring, although I know the original is irreplaceable.

Chris, that happened on my last trip (camera issues). We all wanted to abort the dive, but the person who's camera was having issues insisted we go ahead. He stayed with the truck...and his camera...that's the only solution to that problem.

Michael, again, so sorry for what happened. It's a shame that you hadn't found Bonaire Talk prior to your trip...lots of good info here...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Denison (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 6:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all the responses. I had skimmed BT, but hadn't gotten deep enough to see the crime reports, something I think should be noted. We'll see what happens with the insurance when we get home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #117) on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, I hope you haven't let this ruin your trip and are enjoying the island and all of the beautiful things it has to offer (rather than the ugly underbelly)...

Please post a trip report once you are home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Denison (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 7:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will. Too busy having fun right now though. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie J (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 8:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael
Can you describe the ring? You can use my email if you prefer.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration