BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Woman (diver) missing on Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2009: Archives 2009-01-01 -2009-06-30: Woman (diver) missing on Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #691) on Sunday, March 8, 2009 - 6:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Source: Telegraaf (newspaper The Netherlands)
Since Saturday morning a 44 year old Dutch woman is reported missing. She is a resident of Bonaire. Her boyfriend reported het missing. Police have found her car at a dive spot. Divers of Stinapa have been searching for her, but did not find her. The search will continue on Sunday.

Nederlandse vermist op Bonaire
KRALENDIJK - Op Bonaire wordt sinds zaterdagochtend (lokale tijd) een 44-jarige Nederlandse vrouw vermist. Dat heeft een politiewoordvoerder zaterdagavond bekendgemaakt. Het gaat om een vrouw die op het eiland woont.
Haar vriend heeft aangifte gedaan van de vermissing. De politie heeft bij een duikplek de auto van de vrouw aangetroffen. Een zoekactie door duikers van natuurorganistatie Stinapa heeft niets opgeleverd.
Zondag gaat de politie verder met de zoekactie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2060) on Sunday, March 8, 2009 - 10:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

bob, did she go missing friday or saturday? does anyone know what dive site her car was found at? we had heard some of this from our neighbor yesterday but she didn't have much information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DiveWarm (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Sunday, March 8, 2009 - 10:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oooh, this is never good news. My heart goes out to her family and friends....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #692) on Sunday, March 8, 2009 - 10:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry Pat, this is all I read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I love vacations!! (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Sunday, March 8, 2009 - 11:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry "I love vacations" I have removed your post. This is hearsay, and a situation such as this is so painful for family and friends. No need to post speculation or hearsay. Only facts please.

(Message edited by modcynde on March 9, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #849) on Sunday, March 8, 2009 - 11:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's just terrible. I hope it's not true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Olaf D. (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #367) on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 4:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

As from Nu.nl it appears she drove off to Karpata just by herself. A couple of hrs later her car was found there, but there was no sign of her.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By emilio (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 10:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

So sad..people feel a pain and that they believe that is the only way out..When I first read this I said to myself that Karpata would be a good place to do something like that.Can get deep 200+ easy there.
Olaf writes that Karpata is where her car is found..Does anyone know who she was?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #693) on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 10:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Update from Dutch newssite:

An experienced diver.
Went to Karpata alone. Her car was found there, but no sign of her.
Police says: probably an accident.
Dutch navy will help searching.
Coastguard, Stinapa, friends and acquaintances have started a search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amy Langenbach (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 10:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

(Message edited by me_85 on March 9, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me .. (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 11:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Her name is Sylvia van Aarsen.

My heart goes out to her friends family and boyfriend...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ****Tink**** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8739) on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 2:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

May you rest in peace Sylvia.

(Message edited by cyndelee on March 9, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ModCyn (Moderator - Post #801) on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 2:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please keep this thread very respectful. It looks like she may have been a local instructor. So I imagine that many of her friends and family are extremely emotional.

http://www.tropical-inn-resort-engl.tropical-divers.com/html/idc_april_2008.html

So sad, my thoughts are with her friends and loved one's with from their loss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #412) on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 5:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

She worked at Caribbean Club. There is a 330 ft dive planned at Karpata tomorrow to continue searching. Unfortunately, it gets much deeper than that at Karpata.

(I'm on Bonaire now)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ****Tink**** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8744) on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 5:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mel, thank you, I do not envy the divers that will be making that dive tomorrow. Not the first soul Karpata has taken. It's just so tragic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I love vacations!! (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 6:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm also very sorry,but my post was not a hearsay but it is a FACT,sorry it's the true.......
And there are 3 people going to 350 ft tommorow,and some other stay at 200 ft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I love vacations!! (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 7:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

source Nu.nl
Afscheidsbrief duikster Bonaire gevonden
Uitgegeven: 9 maart 2009 15:45
Laatst gewijzigd: 9 maart 2009 16:38

AMSTERDAM - De Nederlandse duikster die sinds zaterdagochtend op Bonaire wordt vermist, heeft een afscheidsbrief achtergelaten. Dit meldt het Antilliaans Dagblad.

De 43-jarige Sylvia van Aarsen reed zaterdagochtend alleen naar de duikplaats Karpata. Enige tijd later deed haar vriend aangifte van vermissing.

Tijdens een zoektocht vond de politie van Bonaire de auto van Van Aarsen terug bij een duikplek in Karpata. Van Aarsen, zelf ervaren duikster, is sindsdien spoorloos.

Inmiddels is bekend geworden dat er in de pick-up van de vrouw een afscheidsbrief is gevonden. Dit heeft het Antilliaans Dagblad laten weten.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By blue mcright (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #188) on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am so very, very saddened to hear this tragic news. Soon after she moved to Bonaire, Sylvia became one of the first volunteers for the Light and Motion Sensor Program and I so enjoyed diving with her - her energy, enthusiasm, sense of humor, and beauty were unique and special. My heart goes out to her family, especially her daughter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4894) on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 7:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

For the non-Dutch speaking forum members:

Source: www.nu.nl

Farewell letter found from diver on Bonaire

Amsterdam - The Dutch diver who is missing on Bonaire since Saturday morning on Bonaire, has left a farewell letter. This is being reported by the Antilliaans Dagblad.

The 43 year old Sylvia van Aarsen drove to Karpata alone on Saturday morning. Some time after that her boyfriend reported her missing.

During a search the Bonairian police found the car from Van Aarsen at Karpata. Van Aarsen, an experienced diver, has not been seen since.

It has been made public that there was a farewell letter found in the car of the woman. This was reported by the Antiliaans Dagblad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Moderator - Post #84) on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 7:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

On a personal base I would like to send my sympathy to the family and friends of Sylvia during this difficult period.

I would also like to ask everyone to deal with this in the same way as if it was a friend or relative of yourself. I know there are people who love to spread their knowledge (either true or untrue, hearsay or fact) via the internet. I also know there are relatives of the person missing looking for more information. Therefore I urge you all to act as if you are talking face to face with a relative of Sylvia.

I know the moderators are watching postings regarding this subject very closely.

Martin de Weger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John "Smack" Anderson (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1677) on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 8:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Martin, ditto!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patty (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Are donations being accepted to help her daughter and son?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ****Tink**** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8745) on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

(Message edited by modcynde on March 10, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Natalie S (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #203) on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry to hear about the sad news. We saw all the police and STINAPA trucks at Karpata and heard about a missing diver there on Saturday, while touring. I hope they recover her; peace to the family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Krispi ... I love Frogs..I like circles (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5128) on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So very sad...prayers to her family and Friends!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #844) on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 3:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My sincere sympathies to her family and friends on their loss and wishes for their shared strength to persevere through the inner turmoils..

What more can one say?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian* * * * (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4394) on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 5:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very sad indeed, our thoughts are for her family and friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boom starts with a Tara (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10604) on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Our sympathies for her family, friends and the community.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jolly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #949) on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any info from the search mission yesterday?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By silvia taurer (BonaireTalker - Post #34) on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

no news in the dutch media so far - was checking the last 2 days, last update is from March 9th and just stated what Martin mentioned in his blog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #694) on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

From the Amigo 11 Maart, 2009, 15:33 (GMT -04:00):

Silvia still not found.
No confirmation that the letter found in the car, was a farewell letter.
By handwriting comparison, the police is investigating if Silvia has written the letter herself.
Rumours about suicide. People knowing her, react surprised.
She was divorced and lived with her daughter on Bonaire. Her father will come to Bonaire and will take her back to the Netherlands next week.

KRALENDIJK — De 43-jarige Silvia van Aarsen, die sinds zaterdag wordt vermist, is nog niet terecht. Politiewoordvoerder Junny Lopez bevestigt dat er in de auto van Van Aarsen een brief is gevonden, maar kan niet zeggen of het om een afscheidsbrief gaat. Door middel van handschrifvergelijking zoekt de politie nu uit of de brief door Van Aarsen is geschreven. Geruchten dat het om zelfdoding gaat, doen al de hele week de ronde. Veel mensen reageren verbaasd, omdat zij Van Aarsen kennen als een goedlachse, vrolijke vrouw.
De Nederlandse Van Aarsen is gescheiden en woont met haar dochter op Bonaire. Zaterdag deed de vriend van Van Aarsen aangifte van vermissing. Haar pickup werd gevonden bij duikplaats Karpata. Zoekakties door de Kustwacht en door duikers van Stinapa hebben tot nu toe niets opgeleverd. De vrouw is een ervaren duikster. Haar dochter, een leerlinge van de SGB, wordt door de vader opgehaald en volgende week teruggebracht naar Nederland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #416) on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Buddy Dive is organizing a memorial service at Karpata tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #858) on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Was she found?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt III - www.RecTekScuba.com (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #422) on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 7:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Halkyard (BonaireTalker - Post #65) on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 7:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any further developments on this case?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By silvia taurer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #142) on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 7:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not that I am aware of.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration