BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Would anyone object if I set up a hydrofoil passenger ferry service to Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2000-01-06 to 2001-03-07: Would anyone object if I set up a hydrofoil passenger ferry service to Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robin Beasse on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 10:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Would any one object if I set up a daily ferry service to Bonaire? Can any one suggest people who can and would help me do so. ie. I don't know for sure yet, but I would imagine I will need a Bonaire resident/partner to qualify to operate the business. can anyone offer any thoughts , concerns or questions

Thank you Robin Beasse

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 8:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Robin,

One thought. Getting from Curacao or Aruba to Bonaire has never been a problem for me. I have always considered the round trip air fare (Approx. 72.00 USD)reasonable, and ALM's Dash-8's DeHavilands are excellent aircraft. The real problem, at least for my friends and me, has been getting from Miami to Curacao.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 8:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A Hydrofoil set up does not seem to be one that is conducive to the delicate eco system of Bonaire. I would imagine it might be disruptive, or worse yet, damaging to the sensative Marine Life, etc., surrounding Bonaire....not to mention the breach of the quiet and "natural" sounds and airs of Bonaire. This is just my opinion, but I am certain there are others who would agree this set up would be disruptive and damaging. I don't know whether or not you would be able to obtain a permit to operate such a venture. I admit I am not an expert of any sort....just a very concerned lover of Bonaire and its peace and solitude.

There is a huge problem at the moment with ATV's (Quad's) creating noise and damaging the eco system of Bonaire. They have been seen damaging the flats at the Flamingo Sanctuary, tearing up some of the beaches, and so on. The folks on this BB should join forces to advise the proper authorities that the Quads/ATV rentals should cease and dessist immediately.....nip it in the bud, as they say. There was a successful crusade to stop the rental of jetski's on Bonaire.....we now need to concentrate on the Quads....a permit has already been issued to allow the rental of these all terrain vehicles, but there has to be enforced restrictions as to the areas where they can be used and the hours of their useage, as well. That is my opinion and concern. Thanks for listening. Let's get together on this issue, as we have in the past on other issues concerning Bonaire. Thank you. Carole Baker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 9:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The hovercraft plan is nothing new to Bonaire. A number of false starts have taken place over the years. I do agree with the enviornmental issues as well, but if you want to do more investigating, you should contact the central government in Curacao.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 9:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

An entry above mentions a 'passenger
hydrofoil' ferry. The water between B & C is
open ocean with ocean swells and waves of a
few meters that have discouraged ferry
service. Might be a little hard on hydrofoils,
especially eastbound.

I am not sure that a ferry needs to be hard on
the ecosystem. You can't run right up to the
dock on foils (you need many knots of speed
to stay up on the foils) so near shore speed
can be slow. It should be about like any other
vessel that would be an economical ferry
between islands. From the questions, I
wonder how familiar Robin is with Bonaire
and the ABC's.
---------------------------------------------------------------
---------

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kristin holman on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 11:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I thought I read somewhere about cruise lines in Bonaire, how could that be good for the reefs and a shallow Hydra-foil be bad? I also love Bonaire and the reef system. I would never want it harmed. However, I would sure like the option of a boat over ALM. Even seasickness would beat the 8 hour layover and all the confusion we had last time. Is the sea between Curacao and Bonaire as bad as St. Thomas to St. Criox? I know they had a hydra-foil for a while. And that is a much greater distance of open sea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 6:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carole,

Just a quick correct - while the "Ban the Jet Skis" campaign we launched about a year ago was a success in terms of public support, outside of the change that the harbour master started requiring all jet skis to be registered for use on Bonaire, there has been little done to complete the ban. Last I knew, it had stalled in local government. Sigh.

IMHO (In my humble opinion for newsgroup newbies), a hydrofoil as a ferry between Bonaire & Curacao would be wonderful - both in terms of an ALM alternative, as well as a way to accomplish more shopping on Curacao for those of us on Bonaire.

Using a hydrofoil only in Bonaire's leeward waters would seem unnecessary, since there's really no need for more water transportation than already exists, and we probably don't want any more people going to Klein Bonaire than already go there, again for environmental reasons (e.g. turtle nesting interference) ...

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 7:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Re jet skis: Jake, does that mean that you're actually seeing jet skis in use now? I sincerely hope not. Would you suggest anything we visitors can do to promote a ban? Who should we write to, for example?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 6:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jet skis are in use by private owners. They seem to follow the rules to date but an all out ban, along with quads, woudl be most welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Tuesday, November 7, 2000 - 3:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Perhaps this is a subject for the Council For Tourism on Bonaire - they need to understand what it is that draws tourists to the island... and what will make them take their money elsewhere, to Dominica, for example, where Eco-Tourism has been more fully embraced. It would be easy enough to put together a survey and issue it to the ALM "captive audience" so often found with time on their hands and nothing to do.... Personally, speed and noise is not my thing and too much of it tearing up the countryside and ripping around the ocean, drowning out the gentle lap of the waves on the shore line, will cause me to take my money elsewhere - regardless of how good the diving may be. I'm not into totally banning these things, but responsible use and enforcement must be insured.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration