BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Used a MagicJack from Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2009: Archives 2009-01-01 -2009-06-30: Used a MagicJack from Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stuart Breil (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Sunday, March 1, 2009 - 9:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got a MagicJack unit which is a telephone system used over the internet. It says that I can call US or Canada free from any country in the world.

Has anyone on Bonaire used a MagicJack?

I may bring mine with me to see if it will work when we dive Bonaire.
Stu

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Freddie* (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11576) on Sunday, March 1, 2009 - 9:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't have Magic jack but I have Skype and I can call anywhere skype to skype free and skype to out of network for less than .02 a minute.. seems like a deal to me..I used it the last time I was in Bonaire.. to call locally there it was .02 a minute and to call home was free because they have skype.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2047) on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 5:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stuart.. I use SKYPE exclusively on Bonaire to call the US. It works great. Additionally for an extra $20 I can make unlimited calls to the US to anyone in the country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill LaBarge (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #113) on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 1:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, I'm old and I don't know... please tell me what Skype is and can it be added to my current phone through Verizon???? Yep I'm the guy who gets a teen to hook up my VCR... oh we don't use VCRs anymore.... yikes????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Freddie* (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11577) on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 2:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

www.skype.com it is a computer generated phone.. BUT you can buy a PHONE and still have skype.. not sure if it works with the verizon.. but you can call a verizon land phone from your computer through skype

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By superd (BonaireTalker - Post #94) on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 3:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Freddie what is the internet connection you are using on the island?? I have tried skype with both flamingo and telbonet and it is so chopped up that it is unusable. I am try ing to figure out if it is my equipment or the connections. Both the machines I have run it on are fairly high end dual cores. I guess I will have to check my connection speeds the next time I am down. It just seems like some people have no problem and others just give up it is so bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Freddie* (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11579) on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 3:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am not really sure SuperD as it is a private home that I stay in...It could be the area that you are staying in as well I know that some have a tough time and others in other neighborhoods are OK with the connection... I stay in Belham

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Freddie* (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11580) on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 3:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince is near me, perhaps he can answer that question...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #290) on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 4:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stuart, We've used MagicJack on Bonaire and it works fine, as long as the internet connection is good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stuart Breil (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 5:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all the information.
It always amazing that BonaireTalk people help with most questions about Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #781) on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 5:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I use alsways Skype for my calls to Europe or the US.
You can do it from your computer to any other computer who is using Skype for free.
Or you can write in ($10 goes a loooong way) for SkypeOut which means you dial from your computer any phone number in the world.
Landlines are quite a lot cheaper than mobile lines. To a landline I pay about 0.02 cts a minute .... the sound quality is on some days on the receiving end not that good, but still good enough to chat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2958) on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 11:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

To me, the really amazing thing is that we can do this at all, Skype or Majicjack. Humans do some really good things when left to their own devices!!! :–)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By a retired Grunt, back May 2nd (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #759) on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 11:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder what it would it cost per minute if the (any) government was running it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2049) on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 - 3:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

superd..I use Telbo on a secure landline connection (not wifi). I just did a bandwidth test with a server in Atlanta; 1106 kbps download; upload 394 kbps. It works fine. May not be the speeds I can get back home but for all intents & purposes it's certainly adequate. We're in Belnem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2042) on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 - 7:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

we use computer to computer skype here to talk to our son in denver. it worked great as long as we could keep the laptop lined up with the router antenna.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8891) on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 - 10:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We use Skype on island and it has worked great for the past few years. In Belnem also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Oliveira (LBR28) (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 - 8:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will be setting up Skype on my laptop for my next trip to Bonaire. It worked fine for friends staying at LBR.
On my last trip there "Dec / Jan" I was charged $1.99 per min on my Verizon cell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Brewer (BonaireTalker - Post #55) on Thursday, March 5, 2009 - 5:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would highly recommend talking to Michael Gaynor @ ChatnBrowse if you want to have a great , reliable internet connection while on vacation in Bonaire . I am sitting w/ my feet up on my balcony @ Sanddollar at this moment & have been ichat & skype'ing to my hearts content . I am not even sure if the boss knows I am not in the office !!
Seriously , Michael has most of the answers and if not goes the extra mile to make it right

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KIV ~ Kobi In Virginia (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10998) on Thursday, March 5, 2009 - 9:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jack, um, your boss might know now LOL!
We're going to be Skyping in May :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth ~~29 DAYS & COUNTING!!!~~ (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Friday, March 6, 2009 - 7:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We plan on using SKYPE to talk to our family at home while we are on Bonaire in April. Glad to hear we won't have many problems at LBR.

I am amazed that technology has advanced to the point that we can be thousands of miles away and talk to family as if they were right next door!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #782) on Friday, March 6, 2009 - 8:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

What I really like, if you turn the camera on at both ends you can see each other .... love to see my grand children in Berlin !
And you can walk a little with your laptop and they can see where you are .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

was on island last week. used my magicjack worked just fine.
rent a g-3 modem from Michael at Chat and Browse
I made 2 calls to U.S. and the people thought I was at home in the office.

Plus the high speed g-3 worked great.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration