BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Buying Beach Chairs
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2009: Archives 2009-01-01 -2009-06-30: Buying Beach Chairs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael (BonaireTalker - Post #42) on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 - 11:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm looking to buy same type of beach chairs like they have at Jibe City. Does anybody know if those are for sale or produced on the island?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor Hibdige, Lac Bay Villa (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #130) on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 - 1:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Teak Outlet and Plantation have proper teak loungers (and maybe chairs) but they are not cheap....

Trevor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1779) on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 - 1:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ask susan porter about her beach chair adventure. pound for pound the world's most expensive casual furniture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1863) on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 - 2:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Michael..I really had to laugh when I read this and will DEFINITELY echo Pat's comments above.

We could never buy what we wanted on Bonaire so I got a great deal on 2 beach chairs in NJ which was exactly what we were looking for. They had a built in shade screen, excellent quality etc.

We paid an astronomical $ amt to ship them via UPS to Florida & then to Bonaire via Rocargo. Once in Bonaire the duty was outrageous!!

These beach chairs which I bought for about $60 each in NJ ended up costing well over $250 each to get them down to Bonaire. So if anyone tries to make off with them at a dive site, watch out!
A seething maniac may be running after you.

Additionally we recently bought loungers for our pool. The price with shipping & duty was absolutely outrageous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1377) on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 - 3:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm wondering whether I can find canvas sling folding chairs on BON. The ones that fold right up and go into their own little sack.

I took several down years ago (and left them with Benny each year at Bonaire Town Homes), but the hours of sitting in the water watching the sun go down did them in last year.

If I have to, I'll carry one with me in two weeks, but I'd prefer to buy them there ---- anyone seen anything like this? If they're there, I know Benny will go shop for me. He's such a great host!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1782) on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 - 5:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

josie, we've never seen them there. i know exactly what you mean. i wish they would carry them somewhere on bonaire. i'd check the chinese store and see what they have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3522) on Thursday, January 8, 2009 - 10:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

They are available from time to time at the Tung Fung store and sometimes other places. It is the luck of the draw when and where to find them. Some camping supply stores do also carry the canvas ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #104) on Friday, January 9, 2009 - 3:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i happened to be in bonaire super store this morning and they have LOTS of beach chairs in stock in many different styles and in canvas...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1378) on Friday, January 9, 2009 - 4:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pietri, did you see the ones that collapse up and slide into their own little canvas bag? The seat is like a sling, and it has a reasonably high back and arms...

If this is it, I'll see if Benny can pop over there for me... SO much easier than bringing down with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #105) on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 8:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

i really didn't check that closely but there are many many different styles .. i would think you should send benny over .. this will probably not happen again on bonaire .. there is a big sale going on at the store so i would encourage benny to get there sooner than later .. once sold out .. often never seen again .. good luck .. i did see the ones that fold into a bag a while ago at bonaire gift shop .. also a branch of this store .. bonaire mart might have them ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #986) on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 4:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I went to the Super Store today, ISO new beach chairs. They're very nice full-body lounge chairs-more like deck chairs with neck pillows and canopies (brown and taupe colors). They do fold for carrying, but IMO, are a bit heavy/fancy for taking to a "beach," but of course it's possible. I think it's a nylon weave fabric for outdoor use, not canvas, with an aluminum frame and plastic arm-rests (AND a cup holder!). They're fls 210,00 (or 195 for the yellow one w/o the canopy/cup holder), less the 20% sale discount (+ 5% tax). There's also a more simple nylon weave aluminum-frame folding chair (sky-blue) that comes with what looks like a removable/washable seat pad (no leg or arm supports, or canopy). That one's fls 125,00 (less 20% sale).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #798) on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 11:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Holy cow. In us funds over $100 bucks. Don't they have any of the low just above the sand ones for like $25 bucks. I'd like to get a couple of those and then I'd gift them to the person who bought them for me (Of course I'd pay for them) after we use them for 2 weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1897) on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 6:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marge..Welcome to Bonaire!! Our folding beach chairs cost us over $200 each to get them down there. $100 for decent stuff is a bargain.

We recently ordered 8 sunbeds for the condo & the bill for shipping & duty was over $500 & that did NOT include the cost of the sunbeds which was in excess of $100 each..

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration