BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Post Omar Clean-up
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives - 2008: Post Omar Clean-up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4849) on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 11:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just a small and quick report from Bonaire. After some of the docks sustained heavy damage, one might wonder where all the wood has gone too. No need to look further, it is at the bottom of the sea. I did receive an email (forwarded by a good friend) that Stinapa was going to do a heavy clean-up dive. Freddie (yes, our own Fredster), George (a real nice man and hubby of Freddie) and I joined 2 rangers and a Dutch lady to go out to the Divi area to do some wood collecting. after 45 minutes of moving wood to a collection point and hard manual labour by the rangers and George (they were lifting the wood from 10 meters / 30 feet to the boat by hand) we had a truck full of wood. Tomorrow there is another clean-up dive, we will be able to get more stuff out (although the 30 + meters / 90 + feet pieces will remain at the bottom...

Here is part of what we lifted out:

lot's of wood...

Here are 3 tired but satisfied workers:

George, Freddie and Martin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4850) on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 12:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

oops 1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4851) on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 12:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

oops2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beau (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #8393) on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 12:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Martin, if you want a real vacation, come on up here and I'll let you rake leaves. Really, I'll even provide the rake:-)

Good job folks!!! Is it possible to re-use any of the lumber or is it all trash?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail T.** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3512) on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 1:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good job guys. Thanks for taking time out of your VACATION for such needed work. You're all BT angels! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ****Tink**** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7514) on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 1:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

wow...Freddie said the wood was heavy as it was soaked with sea water...and in the heat no less! Good job gang:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6981) on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 1:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great job all. You do know how to party. I'm pretty sure I would not have done the same, I could not stand to see the planks all over the reef. To depressing to even visualize.

Thanks again for your efforts, I owe you all a round.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4852) on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 2:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Part of is is landfill, part of it is now "relocated"... :-)

There where some heavy pieces indeed. There was a 100KG + piece that we had to drag out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8302) on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 2:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great job, Martin, George and Freddie!!! :-) :-)
You done good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bonaire Beach Condo ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1738) on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 3:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kudos to you all! Well done. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #356) on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 3:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I read in the Bonaire Reporter that they are cleaning up town pier as well. Divers are reattaching sponges to the pilings using fishing line. Good read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13694) on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 4:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We all thank you guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian* * * * (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4122) on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 5:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good work guys.

I like the idea of leaving the planks at 30m that should help by creating new habitats for critters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6986) on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 8:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm not convinced it's a good thing. The wood disappears fairly quickly and though it was a good substrate for a bit then it's gone and the attached coral is left not hanging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4855) on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 8:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brian, it was the length, not the depth...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO - Too much work - too little time (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4477) on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 1:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's what they all say Martin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail T.** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3518) on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 1:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Are we talking about Martin's gagget again? Tee Hee Hee! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kristi...PBD, need plane tickets quick!! (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3828) on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 10:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great job you guys!! Thanks you from all Reef Huggers!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO - Too much work - too little time (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4485) on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 12:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gail I think we might be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boom starts with a Tara (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8628) on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 5:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

YomO you are quick :-)

GREAT job!!!! You are Angels :-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy (183 DTG) cya at Lac Bay May 10th (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2592) on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 6:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well done Guys n Gal :-) there's some mighty big bits of wood there!!! Great Job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Babs (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12222) on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 11:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Strong work all! The wood there, many whole sections of dock was enough to fill a lumbar yard! Wannadive did some cleanup at the town pier when I was there....pics in my trip report to follow..."new" microwave for sale!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elaine sculley (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #533) on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 2:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks guys for caring so much
es

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration