BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Omar Storm Pics
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives - 2008: Omar Storm Pics
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ModCyn (Moderator - Post #754) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 3:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just received these from Ruth. Wow is all I can say.

Normal day in 2006
beautiful bonaire

Felix Storm
Felix

Today
can't even see where the sky ends and ocean begins
ouch

If anyone else has pics, please post. Roger? aka Blennylips?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I. van den Berg (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Look at www.youtube.com and search for 'Tropical storm Omar Bonaire'. You'll find some videos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #520) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not a principal discussion about rules, and so on, just some blabla-pictures everybody here likes them to get on this board.

Tropical storm Omar (was Tropical Depression 15 until this morning) hits Bonaire with winds of 50 mph:
omar

A picture from our own beach hut in Hato, here we normally take a breakfast in the morning, not today.....
Debrot

A picture from the pier of Black Durgon Inn in Hato, at this moment the whole deck is gone, partially stored on our beach....
Black Durgon

I cannot show a picture anymore of the (illegally build) pier of our neighbour to the south, it just disappeared when I wanted to take the picture (55 feet long).....

The Boulevard is closed for all traffic. The waves come over it.
boulevard

The piers of Club Nautico, across from "It rains Fishes". No deck leftover, the rest will perhaps survive?
Nautico

The Boulevard across from City Cafe.
City

The Boulevard across from Salsa.
Salsa

Karel's Beach Bar, disappeared behind the waves.
Karels1

Again Karel's Beach Bar, yes it was heavy there. Had quite a lot of damage.
Karels2

More to the South it was quite a bit less, KleinBonaire kept the waves a bit behind. Here a view in Belnem.
Belnem

Tomorrow we are supposed to have even more winds and a lot more rain. Keep fingers crossed.
Perhaps more later.

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #257) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From Lion's Den deck about an hour ago. Buddy Dock worse now...boards in northern (old Bon Bini dock) beginning to loosen too.
- Mel
Buddy Dock 1
Buddy Dock 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #264) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Video's

In this first video the pier at Richard's restaurant is still there in the distance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=113sTtESvzM

In the second (more recent obviously) one it is gone. I was there an hour ago. Breaking waves about 10 feet high I'd guess. Pier definitely is completely wiped out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ODKmcyY58

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Boat Chick****Tink*** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7134) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

o..m...g...

Thanks Harrie and Mel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Boat Chick****Tink*** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7135) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

wow, thanks Bas. Looks like there will be flooding in the lower units of Divi...again...wow...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Boat Chick****Tink*** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7136) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's impressive...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8174) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Heard Belmar lost both their docks too. Very sad, so much damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO - Meet me at the 3Day in Atlanta (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4417) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

KRISPI - what the HECK did you do to the island???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Boat Chick****Tink*** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7139) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie, I think Belmar had removable planks? Hopefully they got them off in time. I don't think anyone expected this. There were dive boats out this morning, no?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boom starts with a Tara (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8422) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

oh my.......... :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #241) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

They relocated people from the Divi lower level earlier today (and maybe from the upper level...it's all roped off).

Carib Inn Dock
/image{carib inn dock}

Carib Inn gazebo / bbq
/image{carib inn gazebo}

Carib Inn gazebo
/image{carib inn gazebo2}

Divi south pier
/image{divi south pier}

Divi tanning pier
/image{divi tanning pier}

Divi Dive Pier
/image{divi dive pier}

Divi Dive Pier
/image{divi dive pier 2}

Divi Dive Pier
/image{divi dive pier 3}

Divi Tanning Pier
/image{divi tanning pier 2}

Divi boat on the beach
/image{divi boat 1}

Divi boat (this is a crop from windsock area...best I could do)
/image{divi boat 2}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #242) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

delete my post above

They relocated people from the Divi lower level earlier today (and maybe from the upper level...it's all roped off).

Carib Inn Dock
/image{carib inn dock}

Carib Inn gazebo / bbq
carib inn gazebo

Carib Inn gazebo
carib inn gazebo2

Divi south pier
divi south pier

Divi tanning pier
divi tanning pier

Divi Dive Pier
divi dive pier

Divi Dive Pier
divi dive pier 2

Divi Dive Pier
divi dive pier 3

Divi Tanning Pier
divi tanning pier 2

Divi boat on the beach
divi boat 1

Divi boat (this is a crop from windsock area...best I could do)
divi boat 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4839) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ken please try \image{text} (so with the other \... )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4840) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Never mind, you saw it... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13348) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ken \ , not /.

(Message edited by bonaire9 on October 14, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #243) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I saw it... and still missed one the second time. It's only been 3 or 4 years since I posted a pic.

carib inn dock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #244) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carib Inn dock above...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boom starts with a Tara (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8423) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

so sad............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Olaf D. (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #362) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Karel's according to www.nu.nl

Karels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #522) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, the little house on the end of the Karel's pier is gone now too.

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13351) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How is your home holding out Harrie?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #441) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's awful.

Hopefully the damage will be confined to property and everyone stays safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #245) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 6:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

All the damage I've seen has been from waves (except a few downed lines). You walk a block inland and it's business as usual.

Harrie... if you need any help with anything let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #523) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 6:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry,

This morning 06:30 am we started to move all the movable stuff from the beach to higher places. So we were actually before the big windforces. My Beach hut is till standing, but all the sand around it, (the little bit that was leftover from Ivan and Lenny) is now totally gone. The floor of the beach hut looks like an island in the sea now. But it is still keeping upright. Hope the best.
The higher level, 10 feet above sealevel, does not have problems with the waves (at least not yet), but a lot of (rain- and splash-)water gets into the porch (not the house), and some damage was done to the porch (screens a.s.o.) Not bad. Other properties have more damage on the island. A good thing is that there are no big hills, so no danger for landslides a.s.o.

But tonight, tomorrow morning it is going to be much worse, according the windguru. So it will be a quite sleepless night, I think. We put duct-tape on the big windows. I cannot imagine that helps, but you can always try?
Busy day.

Just go out to the beach now, for perhaps my last view on that beach hut...... It is getting dark, very dark....
At least one positive thing, the power is still there, that was different the storms before. See for tonight, we put the candles in preparation.

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #763) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 6:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Boat chick, sorry, you are wrong there - it could have been expected since yesterday before noon.
The boats were turning, the sea got more and more agitated , waves coming from the wrong side. We passed town yesterday late afternoon and were very surprised how few boats had left the bay and how many dive boats were still around.

The hurrican accu weather gave as always very good information , as did the Meteorological service of the Netherlands Antilles.... since yesterday there was the warning on their site for small crafts and beach facilities. The winds were predicted quite well too.
Omar has now turned as predicted to the north-north-east, there will be more rain for the ABC - but the big problems will be for the SSS island and their neighbours.
http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/index.asp
http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/basin-story.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&basin=atlantic

click on 'more" for detailed info
http://www.meteo.an/

want to follow the storm, the satelite picture is renewed about every hour
http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/satelliteworld/caribbeansatellite_large.html

It was perhaps a little bit like with hurricanes in the US .... it will not be sooo bad .... we did it last time and nothing happend, nothing will happen this time .....

But if there are storms in the area, wind reversals are rather normal than. The wave action is than depending on where the storms are and how far away they are .... its nature - its an island, its the sea - always better to be prepared than sorry .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boom starts with a Tara (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8426) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 6:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Harrie and everyone else on island, I will keep good thoughts for you for the night.
Property can be replaced.... stay safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #524) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 6:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ken, thanx for offering help.

But not necessary, enough friends here who will help us, and they are not living on the shore. I thought you wanted to pass by this week?

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6970) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 6:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OMG. This is terrible. We hope the forecasters are wrong about what lies ahead with this storm. OMG. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6971) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here are a couple of Divi shots from June 2008....before Oscar. The poor coral was just making a good comeback after Lenny and Ivan, etals....what a shame. It will bring more juvie fish out, tho. cb

divi 1 divi 2

divi 3 divi 4

Karels1 Karels2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6972) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 7:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Obviously I have two shots of Karel's Bar before today....what a shame, for sure. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6833) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 7:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have tears. I don't know what to write. I'm so sorry this is happening. Please be careful everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo Irakliotis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #101) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 7:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I heard that BDA at Den Laman lost their dock, just days after they finished renovations/maintenance on it. Are there any updates/photos from that area?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Linda* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3018) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 8:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How is the dock at the Sandollar holding up? I heard they did some work on it a month or so ago?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ModCyn (Moderator - Post #758) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 8:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I spoke with someone who lives on island. BDA lost their dock, as have most.

Here are a couple more. Across from "what was Karel's" the sand is from the sea.
street in front of Karel's

and of course, the pic we all hate seeing
karel's

I have some more from Bachelor's Beach, but have to run, will post later.

(Message edited by modcynde on October 14, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #525) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 8:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Leo,

I haven't heard of Den Laman's dock, but I think most of the docks are lost, or at least heavily damaged. We will try to take a look tomorrow, and make pics.
There will just one group of people be very happy with all the lost docks and piers, Stinapa, Bonaire Marine Park. They HATE piers and docks.

Tribs,
don't shed tears, most people having damage are making their money through their property on the shores, (think of Karel's Beach Bar, and most of the dive-companies). Everybody having property here on the shore knows that so now-and-then a hurricane or something like it, passes by. Property on the waterside cannot be covered by the insurance, so if you start such a business you must be aware of what could happen. The eventual risks are also calculated in their prices. (If not, they are stupid). Also the people that have personal properties on the shore are not the poorest on the island. They also knew that this was part of the game of having such a beautiful location. It still is sad to see damage on your property, you put so much care in, but, sorry, you get what you want.

Besides that, many people had piers with decks that were not detachable, as Stinapa advices/orders already for years. Or they were too late to pick up the decks. So sorry.

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo Irakliotis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #102) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 8:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Harrie thanks. Why doesn't STINAPA like docks? The few that I've seen while on Bonaire don't seem to encroach (too much) in the reef. And since they sit on stilts they don't seem to affect currents or effect shoreline erosion, right? Is the objection based on the aesthetics (or lack thereof) of the docks?

I understand that planks from the docks that come off during severe weather can float away and damage corals near the surface, but is this the reason?

(Message edited by lgreco on October 14, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Folds (BonaireTalker - Post #48) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 8:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Shucks - I told people that I found a place away from those cursed storms. I suppose unless I want to dive the West coast of Africa there is no such place. Anyone know if the sharks eat you off the coast of Africa?

Ya'll be careful in the surf and try to enjoy the South West Louisiana weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #764) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 9:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just had a look at the satellite picture from 9.35 pm and it looks like an eye is forming already ....
http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/satelliteworld/caribbeansatellite_large.html

Even worse the next days for the SSS islands and their neighbours......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #526) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Leo,

for certain reasons STINAPA doesn't like piers. I know, because I am about busy getting a pier for 2-and-a-half year, will not tell you whatever happened in that time, but cost me a hell of a lot of money and time. We will finally meet with them (BestuursCollege) in court. Mainly they state that a pier damages life in the neigbourhood of that pier. (In the same time they accept "commercial" piers, that are over 4 times as big as private piers, have a usage 100 times as intensive, but those don't damage the quality of sea-life.) They stated that my (planned) pier would damage the sea-life of the famous dive-site "Small Wall", that is over 100 meters away from the end of my planned pier.
The damage to sealife is based upon a report of a former Stinapa manager from around 1994-07. I saw the report, and it is weak on all sides. It was made by not objective people, never officially published, and the conclusions are very discussable. Not to say extremely discussable. In that report there is only spoken about coral life under piers, but, there is more life, then just coral life in the sea. Extensive search on Internet learned that there indeed isn't done real research-work by independent organisations on that issue. But unofficial reports are way in the majority telling sealife under piers is abundant. The two pier-dives on Bonaire (Townpier and Saltpier) are very popular, just because of that.
There are six conclusions in that report, of which 5 are easily to get wriggled out of, (for instance, plastic thrown away from piers damages sealife, as if plastics thrown away from the shore doesn't do that, a.s.o.) One point is more difficult, the shading effects of a pier, perhaps coral doesn't like shades, but oh so many fishlife does. Another reason for Stinapa to not like piers is just their habit to be against anything in the water. first thing they say, and mostly the only thing is "NO".
They also state a pier is only to be used to go into the underwaterpark, come on, what is more romantic to enjoy a glass of Champagne ÓN the pier ín the sunset? (Oh I know, two glasses.....)
So, I think we will have an interesting discussion in court, soon.
I absolutely agree with them that decks have to be removable. What I've seen yesterday, with such a weather the deck looses easily; the loose planks of the deck can cause a lot of damage, although I also think that the coral-life gets a terrible set-back in development when such a storm passes by, mostly independent from the damage from the planks itself. If you make a clever construction, the taking-off of the deck could be possible for the hurricane-season, or whenever a hurricane is expected. I saw deck-planks loosen, and get into the water, and the pier south of my place had the deck-planks really tight fixed to the basic-construction, so the deck caused the whole construction to go under water. What happened yesterday at all the piers was very, very interesting.

It would be perfect, if Stinapa would clearly describe how a pier should look like, and would be constructed. They don't do that, because they don't want to get involved in claims, when a pier breaks, despite their advices.
Another point of discussion is a part of the construction-prescriptions: the poles of a pier should be rammed. But, use of a ramming-boat is not allowed, at least, anchoring of a ramming boat isn't. Ramming with a machine from the shore is in the most situations impossible. (In my case I should have to tear down half of my house to make a path free for the ramming-machine. In praxis this means: we don't want you to have a pier build.

So, I hope I have explained why this pier-item is so important. We'll see what comes out, now most of the piers are gone, or severely damaged, and it will be quite uncertain if they get a rebuild-permission.

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - www.bsdme.info (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #601) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 6:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

No matter what damage has been done to property, the reefs have been getting pounded for over 30 hours. From what I can understand of the weather forecasts and the lack of speed with which Omar is moving it looks as though they will not get a break today. Selfishly I wish he would pick up speed and get away from here. Where ever he heads it is going to have a major impact. I hope they are better prepared than we have been.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By r. scott nielsen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #141) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 7:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

wow, so sorry guys, we will be at the divi in december....sorry, scott and troy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Molamola (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #615) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 7:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

No or few piers on Bonaire? That would be--- strange.

Perhaps they could be constructed of reef ball type structures instead of pilings, then they'd be habitat. Artificial reefs that would lure divers off the reef, and be good for juvenile fish.

Four of five reefballs in shallow water in Thailand at a resort I visited did not move in the Tsunami!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #246) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 7:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It rained most of the night and the wind has not let up. Waves actually seem a little larger but they are crashing further out. I'm going for a walk/drive now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail T.** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3408) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Harrie, Al usually pulls the planks from his dock before a storm. Did he not get a chance to pull them this time? We were there when Emily came through a few years back and he and Rick pulled the planks and everyone helped prep the courtyard area.....

Very sad all around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sheila lewis (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all. We are arriving Sat. night at the Sand Dollar Resort. This is our first trip to Bonaire. Does anyone know the conditions there? Thank You
Eli & Sheila Lewis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Boat Chick****Tink*** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7147) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gail, scroll up to Harrie's pics, Al did get planks removed from the BD pier. Unfortunatley, a lot of others did not as they didn't think this SOO would be what he has turned into.

Sheila, probably not good (dock gone, and water conditions not good right now). The Sand$ structure is far enough off the shore that the units are fine...too bad, your first trip after this:-(

I agree with Susan, piers gone, whatever, but the devastating damage to sea life will be insurmountable...sickens me, absolutely sickens me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Boat Chick****Tink*** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7149) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

there are some vids on youtube...this one is just...oh my

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail T.** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3410) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

BC - I took Harrie's comment to mean that the deck is gone, as in washed away, and some of the planks washed up on his shore. That's why I'm asking for clarification. From the picture, it looks like the are planks piled up. I'm cornfused!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Boat Chick****Tink*** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7151) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gail, you are probably correct...I took it that Al picked them up and asked Harrie to store them...but probably NOT...oops!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Krisp...the plane is leaving!! (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3603) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

eden dock

(Message edited by kristi_tn on October 15, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #528) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just popped in for awhile, untill the power stops.

heavy rain, heavy storm, .
all from the wrong direction.
Water is coming into the house everywhere, and lots of.

About Al's pier. (They are two houses away from ours.)
He did not take off the deck, I also don't think he can do it (with the new/renovated deck), because the deck was nailed and not screwed. You can see the planks piled up on one of the pictures.
The last 75% of the pier's planks were fully washed away. Part of them came on our beach, and we helped to get them out of the water and onto the beach. (Was dangerous work because of all the nails peeping out of them, and the force of the waves). Some 50 planks. Many of them floated across our place to other beaches up to the south. I've seen Al's planks up to the WEB-location. We saw them take away the first part of the deck, that was still in place, yesterday afternoon.
The damage to the reef will be enormous. After the last storm most or all of the coral near the coast was gone. (our place) It just started to come back a little bit. As this storm is even a lot stronger and lasts a lot longer (prognoses say just this night it will be less forcefull) the damage to the coral will be worse. When you see all the sand from these beaches washed into the water, you can just hope for the best.

Our damage in/around the house was not so much, because we prepared just-in-time. Some trees on the beach are lost, and most of the screens in the porch are gone, but that is relatively nothing. The worst thing just happened this morning. Because of the N-NW-winds, water came into my storage room, where a lot of electronics was stored. Normally there is no problem at all. Now everything is wet, see what is wrong when it dries again.

Oh BTW, I didn't see it myself, but friends told me, the pier at Den Laman is totally intact. I will probably have no time to make pictures there, today.

Restart mopping again....

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO - Meet me at the 3Day in Atlanta (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4424) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

KRIPSI - I've been thinkin' about you sista. How you holding out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo Irakliotis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #105) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

About the damage to the reef:

Bonaire has experienced storms over thousands of years, yet it sustains a fabulous reef. Storms are part of the reef's life cycle. The damage inflicted by the storm, will heal. The healing will take place lowly by human standards, instantly reef standards.

So while I am saddened by the temporary losses, I do not worry much about the storm damage to the reef. I worry about the impact the damage will have to the island and its economy but that too will be temporary.

I worry a lot, though, about the permanent damage caused by the climate change. Whether your political convictions lead you to believe that the climate change is man-made or part of a greater natural cycle, the fact we can all agree to is that the change is of an unprecedented scale. The longevity and age of coral reefs suggest that the oceans have not seen such a climate change in thousands of years.

It is also a fact (and a logical conclusion) that the level of pollution in the oceans (and the environment in general) gets worst by the day. The tolerances of the ecosystem are formidable but not inexhaustible.

Will the reefs cope with the change?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad - BROWN NOSE. (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1986) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I, too, am saddened to hear that Omar has reached Bonaire. I hope everyone stays safe, and the recovery is quick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #170) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Where did the ocean going tugs go for the storm? Any pictures of the Harbor? I bet it is crowded in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DiveWarm (BonaireTalker - Post #41) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I e-mailed Tim at Fish Eye and someone named Michael reply this morning since Tim is on holiday. He said that the Bonaire Dive and Adventure pier was currently holding together due to the structural work that was just completed. He also said the Sunset Restaurant is open for business, which admittedly astonished me.

Hope this is over for you soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail T.** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3411) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the response Harrie. I often sat at the end of the dock and admired your colorful beach hut!

I hope I'll have another chance to do so next July.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2862) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael Gaynor???

Looks as though André's experience with Sand Dollar Dive & Photo's 'piers' has paid off. Fingers crossed!!!

Quite a view from the restaurant now, I'll bet!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - www.bsdme.info (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #602) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good news for the Divi in that the main dive dock complete with gazebo roof is intact.

(Message edited by sporter on October 15, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise Ryan (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 2:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As for tourism - I'm arriving on Saturday too and staying at Den Laman for my first trip. I'm glad the dock is in tact, and I agree with the talk about damage to the reefs. Thanks so much for the updates and we'll just go with the flow. Here's hoping the waters calm soon so the clean up can begin.

I guess this the the October Surge, eh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #648) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 2:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This was posted on CNN.com just now: http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-114490

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ModCyn (Moderator - Post #759) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 3:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

this is a long vid, but very good, and disturbing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shane (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 3:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I arrive on the Sunday morning flight out of Newark for our 3rd trip to the island. My jaw dropped as I read the posts and saw the news of Omar this morning.

For those others that are coming in so soon after the storm I'll try to paint a bright picture. A similar storm came through Cozumel last year when we were there. The winds were blowing in completely the wrong direction and the port was closed for a couple of days - meaning no diving. I understand that the reefs of Coz are deeper than Bonaire, but the water calmed down quickly and the vis also improved rather quickly - salvaging the dive days we had left. We can only hope the coral withstood the beating.

I'm going into the one week I get this year in Bonaire with the hope that the water and weather will improve, and if not, we'll sit back and have a few amstels. Heck, we'll probably do that anyway! :-)

I'm glad no one was hurt and feel for those that are in the path of the storm now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boom starts with a Tara (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8436) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 3:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good attitude Shane. From the looks of it there will be plenty of opportunity for kindness as well.

Thanks for all of the pictures and videos... I should be getting work done but I can't get away from youTube.

I wonder how the front townhomes at LightHouse Beach are doing? Didn't LBR #5 just sell?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J.J zambrano mazzei (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #178) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 4:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does any body knows if any damage on the houses in Punt Vierkant ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3425) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 5:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Having lived through this trajedy a number of times, I can say that it wont be long before the top side damage is repaired. Different story for what lies below...the sky is starting to look brighter as I write this. The sun will come out tomorrow...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rog & Karen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #615) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 5:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, thanks for the video. It makes us so sad!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fid Chinoy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #104) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The most positive thing about these pics is that thankfully there are no injured people in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By blue mcright (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #172) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 8:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is horrendous. I am heartsick about the reef damage. My best goes out to all on land who have suffered losses as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #529) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

3 pm till now, 9:30pm.

Power gone, and then it is rather dark and humid-hot in the house.
I cannot edit and post the pics that I made this afternoon, will come next week.

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elaine sculley (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #495) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

glad to hear main dock of divi is not damaged. the rest from pictures looks to be quite a mess. just glad no one was hurt.
es

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #68) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 9:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know the status of the Belmar?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ric Spratlin (BonaireTalker - Post #75) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 9:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glad to hear the people of Bonaire made it though Omar safe. Would love to hear about the damage below...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom C. (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #8142) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 9:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.wannadive.com/getpage.aspx?p=523&albumid=5257117993868458337

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3426) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Spoke with Andre at BDA this morning and he only has to replace a few planks they removed and his pier will be ready. I also know the rest. is operating as well...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Boat Chick****Tink*** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7163) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Will, I've seen pics of the Belmar docs, they removed some planks, but as of now, there are pretty much no planks. The docs are still standing, but with significant damage. Amazingly, the palapa on the sun dock is still standing. The pool is overflowing (to be expected).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Boat Chick****Tink*** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7164) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, good news for BDA...after what they went through with lenny, they caught a break.

Tom...w...o...w...any news on the Windsock location Wannadive? Any damage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rog & Karen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #616) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I received the following note from Belmar this morning on how they faired...

Quote:

BelMar faired well, but the docks did not fair so well. The large dock sustained sever damage and it is not sure if it is repairable, we need to make a damage assessment on it. The small dock suffered damage and is repairable, which we hope we can start repairing in the coming days ready for use. So not too much damage considering the conditions that were thrown at us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky Litton (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know how the North weathered? Caribbean Club and Hilltop which is close to Oil Slick Leap. I read that Oil Slick platform and ladder were gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Johnson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #471) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was up there yesterday pm and the road was closed at Stinapa/Carribean Club. Not sure if it is open yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J.J zambrano mazzei (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #179) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glad to know that OMAR ! now is far from Bonaire . Any pictures of the day after......?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J.J zambrano mazzei (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #180) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glad to know that OMAR ! now is far from Bonaire . Any pictures of the day after......?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #247) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 1:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here's a few from this morning.

omar

omar

omar

omar

omar

omar

omar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boom starts with a Tara (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8449) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 3:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow..... thank you Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1552) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks to everybody who posted pictures and videos. fortunately no one was killed during the storm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boom starts with a Tara (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8450) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 4:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat any word on LBR?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #248) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A few more

Divi Beach (from the tanning pier)
divi

Divi Boat
diviboat

And one to try and make people feel better:
sunset

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6837) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 7:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the after photos. Any one get in the water today? How much of the debris ended up on the reef.

That Divi boat looks so sad. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J.J zambrano mazzei (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #181) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 7:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks KEN ,With Omar Tropical Storm we can feel the power of the sea ! looks like a lot of damage on Karel`s Bar and Divi Flamingo Beach ! thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8744) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 8:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, Ken!
I really appreciate the sunset picture. As they say, this too shall pass and it did. Sadly not without some scars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ Condo) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #259) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have received (thankfully) word that Sand$ condo's suffered no major damage from the storm and the dive pier shared between Sand$ and Den Laman is basically OK.

Buildings and grounds can be repaired, I am more thankful that so far I have seen no reports of any lives lost in the ABC's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #250) on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The pics of course are focused on the damage but nobody should really worry about upcoming trips. The Divi staff was out surveying the damage as I'm sure other locations were. Businesses will cleanup and I'm sure they will make repairs or other arrangements as necessary to not impact anyones vacation. In a week you'd probably be hard pressed to tell anything happened other than missing piers.

I'm sure there is debris on the reef but that has been happening since the earth cooled.

I sent a bunch of pics to Jake earlier. Here is one of the Beach Cam pier:

eden

(Message edited by raxafarian on October 16, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve Schunk (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 12:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks Ken - It should be an interesting trip. I've been coming to Bonaire for 20 years and I haven't seen anything quite this damaging. We want to move to the island one of these days but will need to find some kind of work. If you or anyone has some suggestions of people to talk to regarding this then we would appreciate the info. Also, I have a question. Does anyone know if you must have a Bonaire address before they will issue you a drivers license. We have decided to try to obtain licenses on this trip. Thanks again for the direction to the photos - they say more than words could express.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ws2 (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 12:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm glad it's over....Was there any destruction to the Plaza beach ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elaine sculley (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #498) on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 4:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

ken
thank u so much for pictures. we stay at divi every year. i feel so bad for them and other resorts.
keep the pictures coming.
es

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #262) on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 7:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve, if I'm not mistaken, you must be able to prove residency to apply for a drivers license on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Voelkel (LBR27) (BonaireTalker - Post #50) on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 8:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have not been able to find the words to express my feelings to everyone about my reaction and emotions to Omar and Bonaire. I still may not express how I feel in any coherent manner so please just bare with me.

As a native New Orleanian, hurricanes are nothing new to me. Names like Camile, Betsy, Audrey, etc. Bring back a lot of memories. The intensity and number of named storms is mind boggling to me. Lenny, Wilma, Rita, Ike, Gustov, Omar and not to forget Katrina are names soon to be forgotten by anyone who has not been affected by their visits.

My prayers go out to everyone in these hard times. I hope to be on island soon to help in any small way I can. Until then, all I can do is keep us all in my prayers.

A blessed day to all,
Shelley

PS-thanks to everyone for all of your updates. For all of us who are owners and/or lovers of Bonaire, it has been gratefully appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Austin Orton (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 9:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

To all our friends in Bonaire - we are glad you are all safe. Thanks to those of you who have posted the pictures and videos, they are so informative. We just want to be there right now to help but we can't get there until January. Until then, good luck to you all.

Austin and Penny, England

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *joe brannan* (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #568) on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 5:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just my two bits....and a great expression of support to those that have and will be dealing with the impacts of this and other storms.
Whew....that wasn't the cheeseman, but I meant it. On the bright side, I got an email of the owner of the Playa Lechi cottages (I think they're up near the townhomes) got very little damages other than to the "garden", so we're still on for Nov. 15-22.
I know that, between the beautiful place Bonaire has been, and will continue to be, and the spirit of the bonairean community that will put things back together as best they can, we WILL have another great trip to Bonaire.

cheeze out

joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BarbaraG. (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 7:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The diving and their support teams, dive shops, hotels, food establishments, etc. will be up and running in no time. I'm worried about the local Bonaire residents. How are they doing? Is there wind/water damage to their homes? Is so, I bet a lot of diving visitors would be happy to give a few hours, or even a full day in cleanup with the residents.

After Katrina, my family gave up their "normal" dive vacation for a volunteer week in Ocean Springs, Mississippi. Probably the hardest, most fulfilling week of "vacation" we have ever had.

If there is a need, please let the dive community know. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #769) on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 1:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Extra has a number of pictures of the damage by Omar along the waterfront in town
http://www.extrabon.com/edishon/extra2008-10-17.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6977) on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 2:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Brigitte. There is a lot of damage on the waterfront area. The power and force of water is amazing. So much destruction. Even the trees were hammered by the tidal surges. Constant and relentless pounding for hours on end.

The damage can be repaired and thank goodness there was no loss of life or any injuries reported as a direct result of the surges.

We wish everyone the best and hope everything and everyone will be back up and 'at em' very soon.

Can't wait to return in December...Omar won't keep us away! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deborah Lyda (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 12:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was there for 2 weeks - Oct 4 - 18. We got in most of our dives before the storm. After the storm, we got the chance to dive on the east side since that was the calm place after the storm. It was a nice change from the west side.

Here is my brief story about it - the week before we had been having storms lots of nights and and brief showers every other day so when it started on late Monday night/early Tuesday morning, it just seemed like another rough storm that would be over in a few hours. I had trouble sleeping for some reason so I was up for lots of them - lol.

We had been taking every other day off from diving to chill or go explore. The day before we had driven down around the lighthouse back around to Kralendijk. We had done the north a few days before plus did shore diving at 1000 Steps and Andrea I on Friday. Killer dives btw. So basically, we had explored a lot. Tuesday our dive was canceled because the storm was getting bad but nothing insane...it seemed. We also ended up driving around on Wednesday during the storm. The minimal waves that were the norm when we arrived went up to 6' easy at the Plaza. Their outdoor restaurants got hammered, some of the palm table things got tipped over and some small palms tipped. I think quite a few of the rooms leaked varying degrees (including ours but it was minimal). It was crazy to watch it change. We went down to the downtown pier and everything was closed and the spray easily went up 20'. Many people were standing back watching and stuff.

Well, after the storm the dive shop took us to the east side since many had been shorted on dives and the east side was calm. That was great. Do it if you can.

The damage was pretty bad in some places. Lots of places had inches of water to deal with, a pier capuccino bar is gone as well as other stuff. Huge messes everywhere. Sands, coral, rocks and some refuse all over. They cleaned lots of it quickly and stuff opened up on Friday. We did a snorkel at the Plaza beach before and after and there is a huge difference. Different fishes are closer to shore that I didn't see before. It still had plenty of life but the coral that was there was broken and covered with sand and stuff. I don't have my luggage back yet so I can't compare pics yet. Maybe I can find some that are significant.

Oh, the dives around 1000 Steps were closed on Thursday. I heard there were big rocks that came up or something not good but hopefully it isn't bad. The fish are still around though and hopefully only the shore stuff is messed up and the deeper stuff escaped it. It is amazing how much they have going on in 5-15' of water in Bonaire - parrotfish, eels, trunkfish, flounder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6978) on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 12:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the information, Deborah. It must have been something else to be there and watch the storm grow and see the resultant damage(s). Hope the deeper waters survived better than the shallows. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Lentz (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 12:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any info on how the northern resorts and dive operators/sites faired; Sand Dollar, Buddy's, Lion's, Capt Don's, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1561) on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 3:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

tara, the last word i received is that LBR made it through with virtually no structural damage. i've heard of one or two units with small amounts of water (rain and/or ocean) inside. the beach got trashed and a lot of work will need to be done to save the palm trees on the beach. it could have been a lot worse.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration