BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Phones
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives - 2008: Phones
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara Brownlee (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 8:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How do phones work in Bonaire? Do I rent one? Will my cell phone (U.S) work in Bonaire to call home? Local Calls? How does a chippie card work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #281) on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 8:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barbara, I used my Verizon cell phone while on Bonaire this past May. Prior to leaving home, I called Verizon Wireless and asked them to add the international calling to my phone. It was a roaming charge of $1.29/minute for calls (incoming or outgoing). Sending a txt messages was 50 cents and 5 cents to receive, would be additional if you do not have a txt plan, those txt fees were just the roaming charge. For the very minimal use of a phone that I needed, just using my own phone was convenient and not expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #235) on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 8:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

or see Michael at Chat-n-browse

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #282) on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 8:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

One more thing, Barbara ... welcome to BT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bonaire Beach Condo ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1701) on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 8:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barbara.. Welcome..If you have a laptop & internet connection, by far the most inexpensive way to call the states is with Skype.
If not, I'd suggest you rent a cell from Chat N Browse by Sand Dollar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Parmley (BonaireTalker - Post #78) on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 9:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We rented a phone from Michael at Chat N Browse It was about $25 for the week and included about 30 minutes that we used to call home. It was really easy and I thought a good deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8134) on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 10:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am all for using Skype when on Bonaire. It's a wonderful thing. Wish I knew about years ago. But, like Vince said, if no computer, go see Michael at Chat-N-Browse, he will hook you up, best prices on the island for phone rentals! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Boat Chick****Tink*** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7043) on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 10:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I did what April did, except I didn't have to call Verizon...they just KNEW where I was...lol...the only thing was we couldn't call local on island. April, were you able to call phones on island?

Next time I'm just gonna do what I normally do, see Michael (we don't take the puter so skype won't work)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #284) on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 9:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hmmm, trying to remember. I do not think I could call local either. But only had a need to do that once anyway. I'm not a big fan of talking on the phone, at home or on vacation. Which is why I didn't feel the need to rent a phone. My own was bad enough! lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara Brownlee (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 10:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to all of you for the info. We are looking forward to the trip. April, I'm, with you about not talking much. We just thought we might need one to make restaurant reservations and check home once.
I appreciate the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3418) on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 10:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone who needs to make restaurant reservations is welcome to pass by and use my phone. Happy to support the restaurants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Boat Chick****Tink*** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7068) on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 10:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

April, that's why we didn't rent this last time. We used the phone in the condo to call local, make reservations, etc. The only problem was, we have friends who live on island, and it was a pain to try to catch each other. Thus, why I'll just get a phone from Michael next time:-)

Again, Michael, you are a gem:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4833) on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chick, You still have the offer I made you a couple of trips back... Remember??? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Boat Chick****Tink*** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7071) on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

oops! TYM:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4834) on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

TYM???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Boat Chick****Tink*** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7074) on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 1:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thank...you...martini:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4835) on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 2:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Like DUH... I started @ the office @ 8 AM, now it's 8:30 PM and still working, brains need a break... :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8148) on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 4:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't feel bad, Martin, I thought it was for: Thank you much! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4836) on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 4:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

;)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration