BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Rainy Season
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives - 2008: Rainy Season
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrett Killian (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 9:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, I am considering a 1 week visit the first week of November, but am concerned this may coincide with the Bonaire rainy season. I have not experienced the rainy season, but heard horror stories from a friend who has. Can anyone shed any light on roughly when the season begins, how often it rains, etc?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian**** - is it Friday yet? (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4084) on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 1:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You have to get things in proportion, yes it is rainy season but on a desert island. Rainy season on a rain forest island such as Tobago would be a different issue. So basically it rains more than the rest of the year but it will probably rain less than some island's dry season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8068) on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 2:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Garrett, Bonaire normally only gets about 11 inches of rain a year. So, that is not much at all. There have been some years they got way more, and then some years they got way less, so there really is no rhyme or reason in "rainy season"

We always go in November for a week or little more, more other times of the year, but have only truly gotten lots of rain once since 2004. And that was not the norm to happen on island that year either. Water is still pretty warm that time of year, not too many tourists as high season is not quite there yet, still can get to some of the farmost southern dive sites I love to dive and the northern ones get better than the summer in MHO. Restaurants are not packed, lots of pros of going then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIANE AND BEA (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #220) on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 2:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have gone before in November for 2 weeks. Yes it rains everyday a bit, the sun comes out and rains again. The mosquitos are more bothersome. We always pack our Deep woods off and spray, but you are on the lovely island of Bonaire, and we over look these things. I also agree the restaurants are less busy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Bonaire Beach ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1690) on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 5:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Garrett..I really wouldn't be too concerned. Generally it rains only for a brief period, many times in the early morning. Once the sun comes out it dries real quick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrett Killian (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 9:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the replies...my one friend was there one year during the "rainy season" and he tells me stories of water being pumped off the island, schools being closed, and staying wet all day long..to/from breakfast, dinner, etc. I'm just trying to avoid that type of situation. It may not work out though...Delta had cut fares to just under $700, but now they are back up close to $900 -- the price cut didn't last long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian**** - is it Friday yet? (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4088) on Wednesday, October 1, 2008 - 4:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Over the last 10 years we have been in Bonaire for about 200 days split across Sep/Oct, Dec, Jan and March (once). In all that time we have had only one solid day of rain in Oct 2007

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration