BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Coin
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives - 2008: Coin
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3253) on Friday, August 1, 2008 - 9:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I found a brand new shiny square 50 cent piece from 1990. I never saw this kind of coin before. Cool !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor Hibdige, Lac Bay Villa (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #113) on Friday, August 1, 2008 - 9:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If it's for sale I'll give you 40 cents for it !!!

Trevor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3277) on Friday, August 1, 2008 - 2:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie, You can get them by the dozens at times at the bank most days...I give them in change as well as the square 5 cent pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bette ( BC from you know where) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1051) on Friday, August 1, 2008 - 6:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you know btw that this square 50 cents coin supposed to bring luck?!

If you want to give your love ones at home a very practical souvenir from Bonaire, just make a little bag with a sea shell and a square 50 cents coin, walla :-):-):-):-)

So.... good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6900) on Friday, August 1, 2008 - 8:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Uh, oh...no sea shells! Not permitted to remove anything from the marine park, right? LOL. Sounds like a cute idea, tho, Bette! cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #163) on Friday, August 1, 2008 - 11:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

They will make interesting ear rings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3278) on Saturday, August 2, 2008 - 9:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Carole for mentioning that sea shells and anything from the sea, alive or dead, is not to be removed from the island. Driftwood and things that are not from nature, are ok

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bette ( BC from you know where) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1059) on Saturday, August 2, 2008 - 10:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Who said it had to be a sea shell you pick right out of nature? I didn't think I had to mention specifically to use the seashells you buy in the stores. I just assumed we all knew that already. Apparently I assumed wrong. I'm sorry.
Thank you for making that clear to me Michael.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bette ( BC from you know where) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1060) on Saturday, August 2, 2008 - 10:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Btw. did you know that driftwood is also used by nature to build it's corals on? Actually wood is an excellent reef builder (look at the wooden ship wrecks) because it's ........ natural!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fid Chinoy (BonaireTalker - Post #84) on Saturday, August 2, 2008 - 6:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann, Why not use the coin towards your WEB bill? ......... sorry but I couldn't resist.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #591) on Sunday, August 3, 2008 - 10:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

One time I had a guest that did her currency conversion in the states. She actually managed to buy guilders through her US bank before departure. Their stock was a bit old ... she came armed with a stack of bright blue 5 guilder bills. I had to call the bank to make sure that they would accept them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mod Seb (Moderator - Post #105) on Sunday, August 3, 2008 - 11:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I spent one at Last Bite a few months ago. It looked brand new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3284) on Sunday, August 3, 2008 - 12:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Was that a 5 guilder note or a 50 cent piece Seb? I still have a stack on one guilder bills and a few 2 1/2 cent coins...I am keeping them for my great, great grandchildren!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3443) on Sunday, August 3, 2008 - 12:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It was a 5 guilder note Michael.

I bet they'd rather have a pony.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timmmy - Bonairian Bottom Dweller (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5801) on Sunday, August 3, 2008 - 1:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is it this one Ann?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3254) on Sunday, August 3, 2008 - 3:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes that is the coin. Also I had a discussion with someone who told me the airport staff do NOT let people take driftwood home if their gear is inspected. Someone was taking back a lot to make crafts in the US and was not allowed. Are you sure it is ok to remove driftwood to take to the US?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3288) on Sunday, August 3, 2008 - 5:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Driftwood IS allowed according to the BMP Rules and the person at the airport was being over vigilant and is misinformed. Yes, I am sure it is okay but rather than getting in an argument with the customs, I hope the person just kept quiet. There are dozens of places on island that sell signs and crafts made from driftwood. If you ask at the shops they will assure you that it is okay to purchase them and remove them. Also, if I am not mistaken, you know people who make furniture from driftwood and export it to other islands. Driftwood is not native to Bonaire! Tell the person you had the disucssion with to call Rammon or Elsmarie at STINAPA if they have any doubts about what is legal or not legal to remove. I always believe in following up with a relable source.

(Message edited by gmichael on August 3, 2008)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration