BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Telbo doubles DSL Speed?
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives - 2008: Telbo doubles DSL Speed?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Zavon (BonaireTalker - Post #47) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 1:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

According to their recent commercials, Telbo has doubled the speed of the internet connection for existing customers and it's now NAf99/month for 1 Mbps download speed. But I ran speed tests over the past few days at http://www.speakeasy.net and I'm getting anywhere between 256 and 275 kbps download. Up is 75 kbps. Same whether wireless or ethernet hard wired. Don't know what it was before but sure ain't faster.

Maybe it hasn't reached Belnem yet. LOL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #737) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 4:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

For sure there is a problem with Telbo in Belnem. This morning the connection constantly went off, not long, sometime perhaps 30seconds than for minute, but it is ennoying for sure.
And it is often rather slow, slower than the wireless from Flamingo ... if that one is working at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #573) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can't test against a US site and really measure your line rate. At speedtest.net, I get 1063 down/393 up to Curacao. To El Paso, TX, I get 128 down/32 up. Houston, 1090 down, 32 up. Port of Spain, Trinidad, it's 1069 down, 32 up. All of our traffic hits Curacao first, and then something limits the traffic to 32kbps up. Other places (like El Paso) throttle Caribbean traffic to 128 kbps down.

The measure to Curacao is a reasonably accurate measure of what Telbo provides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Zavon (BonaireTalker - Post #48) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 6:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin:

I ran Speedtest.net to Curacao and got 241 down and 73 up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #574) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 6:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like a 512K link to me. If you think it should be 1Mbps, give Telbo a call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Zavon (BonaireTalker - Post #49) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 6:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My thought as well. Thanks.

It may also just be the distance from the DSL network box (I'm not techie enough to know the right term) but Sabal Palm is the end of the road right now, so that could explain it as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #207) on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 7:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I believe if you are either upgrading speed or downgrading cost (which is what I did), you have to go in and sign for the change. In my case, I had to pay a downgrade fee, since I was keeping my speed, but going for the lesser fee, saving FL 1200.00/year; the downgrade fee was FL 50.00. The only difference they say is that if there's a problem, they have up to 48 hours to repair instead of their stated normal 4 hours.

If you have a slower connection and wish to upgrade, I believe you still have to go in and sign--you don't get it automatically from my past experience.

And you have to bring in your modem in any case, so it can be re-programmed.

Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #223) on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In my case the speed definitely doubled. I am on the 99 guilder base package and get 1000 Mbps down and 385 Mbps up all the time (I check with www.speedtest.net against a server in Curacao). I did not go in and my modem was not reprogrammed.

I think this really is the way to go. Dutch providers also work like this...they keep the fee the same and increase the speed. Over time of course it might become interesting to go to a cheaper plan if you do not need the high speed but for now I really need (like is a better word) the 1Mb and there is no cheaper plan :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Zavon (BonaireTalker - Post #51) on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 3:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, was off island for a while, but called Telbo today and they told me I had never been upgraded from the basic service, so that's why I was just getting 256K download. Switching from NAf 105 to 156/month and they just had to "flip a switch" in the main office. So now speakeasy.net to LA or Seattle shows 2 Mbps down and 251k up! Speedtest to the US also brings back solid 1.5-2.0 Mbps. Yeah!!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration