BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Bringing items to the island
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives - 2008: Bringing items to the island
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FWT (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 4:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

I will be bringing a shoe box of tools and some electrical switches when I next visit. Do you think this will be a problem with customs at the airport in respect of any import duty etc?

I will be taking very little home, the majority will be left or installed.

Thanks in advance
Ian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor Hibdige, Lac Bay Villa (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #109) on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 5:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I spoke with the Customs Man in the Arrivals Hall on the subject as we shall be bringing some stuff with us next trip and he said that there is a "duty free allowance" of around 200 NAFs and that we should have a copy of the Invoice (local tax not included if possible) and present that in Arrivals. There is an office where import duty may be paid. Take lots of copies of the paperwork...

Alternatively... Stick them in your suitcase and take pot-luck if they are small and under the 200 NAF threshold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3205) on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

For the most part, you will not be stopped for just a few items. Electrical stuff carries a duty of 10.5% plus 5% OB tax....its your call

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2817) on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scuff them up and add a little black grease so they are 'used'. :–)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration