BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Verizon cell phone working
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives - 2008: Verizon cell phone working
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #336) on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I used my verizon cell phone to call to US today and it worked. No idea what it will cost me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (BonaireTalker - Post #64) on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the info. It is nice just to know that it works, in case of emergency and/or to briefly check messages from back home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Oliveira (LBR28) (BonaireTalker - Post #34) on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 2:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My Verizon cell phone works on Bonaire. Before leaving I called Verizon and added "international calling" to my plan, it is free of charge.
In Jan 08, the rate was $1.29 per minute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill LaBarge (BonaireTalker - Post #60) on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 9:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just went to Verizon two days ago and asked what it would cost.... they said LOTS... you are roaming.... I don't know if you've ever been near the Canadian border and got the towers from across the border but YIKES it's very expensive... go see Michael and get a phone... you'll be better off... IMHO
April 5th I'll be there and I CAN"T wait..Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia***Bonaire in May (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5142) on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 9:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We also have Verizon here in the states and will never use our phone on BON. WAAAAY to expensive. We'll rent from Michael in less than 60 days :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1370) on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 3:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Try using Skype instead of your own cell if you have internet connection.. I hear it works fine. Will be trying it myself first time in May.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6926) on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 3:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince, I got Skype and have used it to keep in touch with my daughter in college while on Bonaire and some other folks. Works great. You can also buy minutes to talk to anyone even if the person you are calling doesn't have Skype, something like 2 cents a minute! Can't beat that. Gregg just bought this cool phone that you can use for Skpye too, don't need your computer to use it either. I don't understand all about that phone yet, but it is a bit high techy for me, so I will need lessons on that part, but it is just like a cell phone. Gotta love Skype!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1372) on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 6:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Debbie..Good to hear that... I've already purchased the headset and plan on using it once I get the internet set up. Lots to do!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration